Trailer Trash

Treadmill purchase in 2016 (Read 22 times)

charlesmoman

I will likely buy a new treadmill in 2016.

I am looking at the NordicTrack and Proform brands.

I am willing to spend up to $2,000 to get a commercial quality model that will last for years.

In the running are the NordicTrack commercial models 1750 ($1.500) & 2450 ($1,799) and the Proform 7500 ($1,499) & 9000 ($1,999).

All of these have a 15% incline and 3% decline and a couple of have a 4hp motor.

Do any of you have experience with any of these models?

Thanks!

Charles

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I have a NordicTrack 2150 which we bought used about 7 years ago...so I don't know how old it is.  About a year ago the board below the tread cracked and my husband replaced.  Other than that no problems...i suggest you buy used.  So many people buy these and never use them.  I think we got it for $350

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Three years ago DW decided she wanted a treadmill. Since I tend to use them hard (I've had some shut down on me at the gym to cool off), I did a lot of research.

I have never run on a NordicTrack. I know they get good reviews but I don't know if I could get myself to buy one new. I have family members and friends that have bought some in the 1500-2000 range.  After several years they've had some problems and had trouble getting them fixed. Apparently NordicTrack will change parts suppliers from year to year so once their supply of spare parts runs out you may be out of luck. Since I tend to buy as much based on service as other issues that is a big issue . I don't know of anyone who had one over 10 years.

The bad thing is the really good ones are almost all over $2000.00. What I found was that Landice and True are some of the best. I couldn't afford them. I was looking at  Precor and Spirit.  While both had models I could afford they were over $2000.00. What I liked about all of those is that they were around for decades and they supported the product. The one sales/service guy told me of a Spirit that was over 20 years old that he had sold. Very little service and still running although he was concerned that a roller was going to wear out on it and he might not be able to get the part anymore. Also heard the same type of stories about the other three brands as well.   I was going to go with the Spirit even though I liked the Precor better.  (The Precor dealer was a jerk). One of the other things that I liked about these was they were all very smooth at high speeds. Some of the cheaper models get very jerky over 8-9 MPH. While that's sprinting speed for me it's still a issue.

In the end my wife suddenly decided to get an elliptical so all my research was for naught.  Then a year later she wanted a treadmill . I bought a department store quality one from a friend for $50.00. It's only good for walking.

If I'm ever in the market again for a treadmill I'll look on Craig's List or other used listings. I had found a Precor 9.23, exactly what I wanted, for $500.00 just a month ago. It was only 2-3 years old and the people needed to sell due to moving. Unfortunately it's in Eastern PA.  I've found a lot of  more expensive NordicTracks for $100-300 and they claim to be barely used. At those prices I'll take a chance on them.

If you do go the Craig's List route make sure when you go to pick it up you take several friends along for some backup in case someone is trying to scam you.

NorthernHarrier

While I can't speak about the individual models or treadmills really at all I can say that both companies mentioned have absolute HORRIBLE customer service. At least in the past, maybe they have improved that aspect but buyer, beware.  Read reviews from several sites, try to decipher what are true reviews vs. company sponsored ones. Their previous history tells me to stay away. Keep shopping.

FWIW--I have a Nordic Track elliptical so I am speaking with some actual experience with that company.

Good luck.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I don't have a treadmill, nor am I familiar with any.

Just wanted to mention that a few days ago, I saw a commercial on TV for a treadmill that has 11 degrees decline and 45 degrees incline - I thought that sounded exceptional. Don't remember the brand or model any more, and I am not sure if it's commercial quality, but it might be worth checking it out.

Run for fun.