Trailer Trash

Zumbro 100 DNF race report (Read 52 times)

Messenjah

As promised, here you go. ***WARNING*** It's long. I had a lot to say

http://thamessenjah1cor924.blogspot.com/2014/04/my-first-dnf.html

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I had been waiting for your report, Brad!  I'm sorry about your DNF.  I think after you puked, you should have rested at that aid station for a while.  Gotten some good food and water in your stomach to replenish what you lost and then walked for a bit to let it all settle.  But you powered through a lot of crap and ran a lotta miles and that's something to be proud of!

If you're able to come back next year (I know, new baby and all that busy stuff), hopefully my body would be up for some pacing!

What sort of New Glarus goodness did you buy?

Running is dumb.

Messenjah

Of course I bought Spotted Cow, but I bought a mix 6 and one of the sampler 12 packs. Apparently, and I didn't know this, but outside of the brewery you can't buy some of their specialty brews. I was really looking forward to the double IPA.

I will totally come back next year if I am able to. Hopefully with MUCH better results and I want you to go too

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the report, and I'm so sorry you had a bad day.  Do you think it was just the different gel that got you, or were you having some hydration issues as well?

Pretty cool that you helped out after a DNF; says a lot about your character.

Good luck with Baby Messenjah.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Messenjah

Without a doubt it was the combo of 65 degrees and that gel that set things off, but stupidity that kept me from getting better. I was GOOD on hydration actually. In 57 miles I pee'd 3 times. Lots of volume, great color............man we're weird

Thanks for the report, and I'm so sorry you had a bad day.  Do you think it was just the different gel that got you, or were you having some hydration issues as well?

Pretty cool that you helped out after a DNF; says a lot about your character.

Good luck with Baby Messenjah.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for sharing your report. It sounds like a rough day. I sometimes get bothered by bad footing, like sand, rocks and debris, and when then a stomach issue comes on top of that, it's easy to see how things can add up and lead to a.DNF. But you seem to deal well with it. And who knows, there might be a redemption run some time.

Run for fun.

Watoni

Good try, good on you for helping out afterwards!

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting. I can totally relate to your difficulty with throwing up. I just can't do it. If you can't get back next year maybe you can two years from now.

runtraildc

Thanks for your report-- I've been waiting!  I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a better day.  The experience, I'm sure, will help next time.   Interesting finisher rate-- is this normal for this race, or more difficult than normal conditions?

And good luck (and congrats) on baby messenjah.  I hope to see you out at Zumbro next year  (the 17M for me, though).

moonlightrunner

Nice report...sorry for the dnf...I think it is awesome you helped out. How many miles did you end up with? Any note races coming up? Cograts to your friend too! Kudos to your wife...you two no doubt have a busy life and it is great you support each other so the training can get done. No small feat!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Of course I bought Spotted Cow, but I bought a mix 6 and one of the sampler 12 packs. Apparently, and I didn't know this, but outside of the brewery you can't buy some of their specialty brews. I was really looking forward to the double IPA.

I will totally come back next year if I am able to. Hopefully with MUCH better results and I want you to go too

Ahhhh, they haven't brewed their IIPA since last year.    That's pretty much my favorite beer ever.  If they brew it again, I would say I would pick some up and hang onto it for you, but I am not sure I would trust myself not to drink it!

Let me your plans!  I am hoping a year from now I am in decent shape!

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Sorry to hear about the DNF.  You'll get it next time I'm sure.

I have been known to barf now and then (Leadville was a PR, 3 barfs in one race).  I always feel 100% better afterward, but I usually down another S-Cap and Gel right afterward in order to "replenish".  I always make sure I have a few Gels on me, just in case.  May need it because I am running low on energy, taking longer between aid stations than planned, I need to "replenish", etc.

Best wishes to you and Mrs. Messenjah on the upcoming new addition.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

My quote of the day is appropriate for your DNF, I think. A friend told me today that "Suffering is a requisite to complete enjoyment of success." He told me this in reference to something other than running, but it is certainly applicable to running, especially 100 miles. I suspect that you will go back to this race and finish it, and I also suspect that you will probably enjoy that success more than if you had gotten it done the first time around. Good luck with the baby, and I hope to see another report this time next year.

LB2

muppy

That stinks you had stomach issues, hopefully you can learn somthing from it and have a great race next time!

Messenjah

Thanks. 57 miles in the bank. I am probably going to wait for a few months to do a long distance race again. I did Chicago Marathon in 2007 about 3 weeks after one of my daughters was born and my wife still hasn't let me live that down as she was wondering around Chicago and it was 90 degrees and we were 6 hours from home 

Nice report...sorry for the dnf...I think it is awesome you helped out. How many miles did you end up with? Any note races coming up? Cograts to your friend too! Kudos to your wife...you two no doubt have a busy life and it is great you support each other so the training can get done. No small feat!