Trailer Trash

RPSA- Grand Canyon (Read 60 times)

runfastandie

Runner's Public Service Announcement (awe....cute).

On October 1st 7AM mountain time reservations for Phantom Ranch and Grand Canyon hotels open for October 2014.

Hope to see many of you out there!

My plan is 3AM Saturday October 11th.  Anyone else going to be out there?

Andie

fimmx

Oct 10, 2014 will be the day. Not sure if it will be r2r or r2r2r yet, I just have to convince my trip buddy to live dangerously.

And then hope the government isn't in furlough next year too.  Geez, feel bad for anyone who might be trying to vacation in a national park today.  I guess the campers and hotel guests have 48 hours to vacate!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

LB2

How far is r2r vs. r2r2r?

I know very little about the Grand Canyon except that it is the largest hole in the US, other than Washington DC.

LB2

LB2, it depends on the route you take. Shortest r2r is about 21 miles if you take the South/North Kaibab route, but could 43.5 if you take the Bright Angel/North Kaibab route.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

How far is r2r vs. r2r2r?

I know very little about the Grand Canyon except that it is the largest hole in the US, other than Washington DC.

21ish staying on kaibab (north and south) one way

24ish if using bright angel and North Kaibab- one way

double for the double crossing. 

runfastandie

fmmx- if you plan on going one way you need to settle up that hotel reservation.  You can always cancel later. I planned my trip too late- we ended up in Kanab with a driver. You do NOT want to be driving for 5 hours after R2R.  Honest to God I would have crawled back to the north rim if I had any idea how painful it would be to sit like that.  I would have camped on the dirt at mather's campground on a sleeping bag purchased at the south store. Curled up in a bathroom stall in the basement of El Tovar. I thought of MANY places I could have slept instead of being holed up in that car ride.

All that to say- 2014 I'm doing r2r2r starting on the Saturday at 3AM.  I have a group coming north to south so I will pass them on the way up then wait for me at PRanch and we will hike out together. At least I'm thinking by that point it will all be hiking.

Hope to see some more of you out there.  The moon will be great!

fimmx

Andie - I have reservations! Smile both at Bright Angel Lodge and the Lodge at the North Rim. We will assess our fitness beginning of Oct and then decide for sure. Part of me wants to take 2 days o fully enjoy the experience of the GC. The other part wants the epic. There's still time to decide.

runfastandie

When are you going?  Many people go one way on one day, sleep, than head back the next. It takes 12 hours for strong hikers so even if you run one way, you can hike back the next.

If you have a north rim hotel on Saturday the 11th and decide to cancel please let me know! I have several people checking for cancellations.

Andie

fimmx

Hi Andie, my north rim reservation is for oct 11. I will definitely let you know if I decide to cancel.

runfastandie

Ok- Thanks. I have 2 parties wanting Saturday night.  One group was supposed to go this year but of course it is closed, by the time they realized how long the closure would be the rooms were full. Another party did not head my 20 emails about making a reservation on October first. Oops.

Anyhow- You can come one way or both with me if you plan on running.

fimmx

Thanks Andie, but I had my dates mixed up. I guess there is such a thing as too much excitement. I have a reservation for the north rim on oct 10 night. Arriving on the 10, leaving on the 11th. If this still helps, I will let you know of any change in my plans.