Trailer Trash

Wonderful Wednesdaily (Read 18 times)

Daydreamer1

Wonderful from a weather perspective anyway.  Temps in the upper 50's heading to upper 60s, sunny and really nice.

I was going to go up on the mountain for about 10 miles but I got out of bed late and have a lot of things I should do before work so I may do a 6 mile run or I may not. Depends on how I feel later this afternoon.  In a deep running funk right now.

QOTD: Are you persistent in meeting your goals that you set, exercise related or otherwise? Does abandoning a goal cause you much stress?

Most of the time I am. I my be a procrastinator but I hate to drop a project or goal especially if I came up with the idea, developed a plan and started the project.  About a year ago I decided to restore my '97 Dodge pickup, mostly for fun and also to save some money over buying a used one that would just end up being a rust bucket anyway.  I found that some of the rust on the frame is worse than I thought and was considering abandoning the project.  After sitting on it for about a week I decided to push ahead as I just hate to admit defeat.

On the running front it's not been a good year.  Been getting in some decent mileage numbers but overall crappy running has left me not feeling very well. So I decided to take a DNS at Tussey Mountainback. Just don't think I can do 50 miles when my average run is less than 10 miles with very few decent long runs.  This is really irritating me and I have half a notion to just start and see how it goes, but can't stand the thought of having a DNF.

LB2

I ran a good run this morning. I think it was wise to take a day off yesterday; I was extremely pissed when I left work. But all that is straightened out, and we had a great laugh about it this morning. The lady and I who had issues rarely lose our tempers, but we sure let each other have it yesterday. She apologized this morning and said she was just being a total bitch because she stressed about our upcoming accrediting visit. I told her that was fine, but I would appreciate it if she would warn me when she was in bitch mode in the future. It wasn't as ugly as a presidential debate, but it got heated, nothing personal. Turns out we were both right and both wrong. Oh well, all is well that ends well. And we have been friends a long time.

QOTD: I am pretty relentless about goals, especially with running. Running is one area that I do not have to worry about other people pulling their weight. I make a plan, and then I have to execute it. If I have a pacer or crew, I have them there because they want to be involved in an event or they need a long run/hike. I make good use of drop bags. I am the same way at work, but I get frustrated when others do not do what they are supposed to do. And that is where some of that misunderstanding stemmed from yesterday.

Even though you didn't ask... I will tell you what I think about Tussey Mountainback. I would likely start the race and deal with the DNF if it happened. I have one DNF, and I don't want another one. Nevertheless, I feel like I can think my way through most 50 mile runs based on a deep base of fitness and some understanding of the process.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yesterday.  Not sure when I will run again but today I feel fine - virtually no pain.  I am in no rush to run again - no particular reason.

DD - my opinion is you should run Tussey.  If you have time, get out for a 15 miler or so here soon and get your head on straight.  I think you will be fine but it also depends on whether you want to run it at your fast pace or just to go out and finish.  But also remember that our opinions are simply OUR opinions.  We are not the ones that have to make the decision.

QOTD: If I get it in my head to do something, I find a way to do it.  I am stubborn like that - even it it means it wasn't the wisest decision.  Having said that, some projects need to be abandoned for various reasons.  Sometimes logic needs to win out.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice, but chilly run yesterday evening, supposed to warm up to 50 today, but it's 20 now  going to try to get 5-ish  in this evening

DD- my 2 cents.  I would toe the starting line; worst case scenario is you get a decent long run in- running, including races, should be fun- it's not life and death if you get a dnf and likely you will learn a lesson or two that you wouldn't have if you dns.

qotd: I do a pretty good job of meeting my goals, running or otherwise, but with age have also mellowed some and have tried to roll with the flow.  Goals are just that, you strive to do your best meeting them, but sometimes you just don't- life goes on, enjoy it!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

8 this am

Mr Jangles has ran a few miles with me with no problem but 4 is about all he wants. I changed his dog food and that seem to help, he has been constantly hunger and eating grass. I was using a brand name dog food but I upped the brand another 15 bucks a bag and he has started playing a little more. I'm going to leave him on light duty for a little while longer.

some call me Tim

Hey, everybody. Still no run here. Nothing specifically wrong, but my body is still just torched from the Green Monster. With everything else going on, it may be another week before I can put at RR together, but suffice to say that while I was well prepared for a hilly ultra, I wasn't prepared for a mountain race and I paid dearly for my inability to do sustained, steep climbs. By about 12 miles in, I was struggling with any uphill and ready to be done. Dragging myself to the end I'm sure is the reason that I'm still hobbling around, but is a nice segue into

qotd: No, I don't normally give up. Yes, with age I've learned to let certain things go- I've been very calculated with my running, so this is never an issue, however sometimes it's better to admit there are things you can't control or that your expectations don't always line up with reality.

Sandy-2

SRD today.

I've concluded that my lower leg swelling is what I'll call ultra-induced edema.  Most likely from taking in too much sodium between the gels and S-Caps I took.  By soaking my legs in buckets of cold water (while watching TV) and afterwards wearing calf compression sleeves they are improving very quickly.  Today they are still swollen, but I can actually see my ankle bones today.  By the way other than that I'm feeling pretty good.

Picking up our DD at the airport from her South African adventure. She finished the 1000km ride in great shape.  In the end they decided that they would not place emphasis on placements and put more on making sure everyone made it, which they did.  One rider had to re-do her very last loop so all the other riders piled into a pick-up to give her support in the end (DD is hanging off the right side).  She said the whole trip and ride was one of the greatest experience of her life, so far...

Daydreamer1 - I'd rather have a DNF than a DNS, just saying.  I think if you slow down, enjoy the run, and take care of fuel/hydration, etc. I'll bet you get through just fine. But as Jamie said all of this is just our opinions, you know your situation the best and it's up to you.

qotd: yeah, I'm pretty persistent when it comes to reaching the goals I've set.  Too freaking stubborn I guess.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

XtremeTaper

Another zero day here but I did make it to the planet of fitness at lunch for strength routine. It looks potentially like a zero week. I have not had one of those in ages, maybe 4-5 years. Visited the chiro today and he made an awful expression after examining my left knee, then did some crazy type of pressure on the back part of the knee with this type of device, then some e-stim, and k-tape and sent me on my way until Friday. Maybe some running next week he said. Not sure what set this off but I did have a few bad crashes on that knee in August, September and was running on old shoes. No heavy training really. Sigh. Suck it up.

QOTD: Yes, pretty persistent. I have no DNS or DNF in terms of running. Sure I've missed some time goals in races but I've made a lot of them too. In life, once I decide to do something I don't like to stop until it's complete. I don't like to leave things hanging but with that said sometimes a pause helps one figure out the next steps.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Hmmm........... Looks like you idiots  here are going to talk me into running the darn race.  Maybe Marie can show up and wait for me at about the 35 mile mark and chase me with a pitch fork or something .

I keep thinking that even if I just get past the 36 mile mark that will be my longest run ever and I might get to see some nice scenery. Starting to think that if I can just run a 1/3 of it at a 10 minute mile and lightly jog and walk the rest it's doable.

On the pickup front I just found a paint that is supposed to chemically treat, convert and encapuslate rust inside of frames where you can't remove it.  Guess I'll try that.

Xtreme -  Hope the knee gets better. Do you ever take any Glucosamine?  I use the joint stuff from Hammer Nutrition. It's expensive and I don't really think it works any better than the Sam's club stuff but Hammer's is smaller so I can swallow the pills easier.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

don't listen to us a$$holes .

I do think you have nothing to lose and plenty to gain from toeing the line.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My longest run before my first 50 miler was 32 miles.  It's doable.  Tussey is gently rolling hills long sustained hills.  What is there to worry about?  At least it's gravel road.  No need to worry about rolling your ankle on a darn rock!

Hmmm........... Looks like you idiots  here are going to talk me into running the darn race.  Maybe Marie can show up and wait for me at about the 35 mile mark and chase me with a pitch fork or something .

I keep thinking that even if I just get past the 36 mile mark that will be my longest run ever and I might get to see some nice scenery. Starting to think that if I can just run a 1/3 of it at a 10 minute mile and lightly jog and walk the rest it's doable.

On the pickup front I just found a paint that is supposed to chemically treat, convert and encapuslate rust inside of frames where you can't remove it.  Guess I'll try that.

Xtreme -  Hope the knee gets better. Do you ever take any Glucosamine?  I use the joint stuff from Hammer Nutrition. It's expensive and I don't really think it works any better than the Sam's club stuff but Hammer's is smaller so I can swallow the pills easier.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

My longest run before my first 50 miler was 32 miles.  It's doable.  Tussey is gently rolling hills long sustained hills.  What is there to worry about?  At least it's gravel road.  No need to worry about rolling your ankle on a darn rock!

Ah, but you forget that two of my worst sprains have come while on flat, firm surfaces.  One on the paved road and one on concrete at work, although then I was trying to carry a 450 lb slob out of his house.  Have at least two moderate sprains that happened while on a paved road .   I still pay attention on the gravel roads because even stepping on a 1/2 inch rock the wrong way can cause a roll.