Trailer Trash

Question for Warden. (Read 29 times)

Daydreamer1

Warden, I thought I'd pick your brain on this one. Didn't know if you had any experience with something like this or not.

I stumbled onto this story and basically I understand why the wardens didn't try to save the calf. My question revolves around the use of dynamite. How does blowing up the carcasses keep the bears away?  Do they use enough to actually vaporize the carcass? It seems to me that it would just leave a bunch of bite sized pieces.  Aside from the risk of starting a wildfire and maybe a lack of fuel to start a fire, wouldn't burning be better?

http://beforeitsnews.com/middle-east/2015/06/%e2%80%8bmontana-forestry-workers-kill-blow-up-orphaned-moose-reported-by-good-samaritan-2489922.html

If the link doesn't work let me know.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

prior to about ten years ago, we would send orphaned ungulates (deer, elk, moose, antelope) to a rehab facility in Helena, with the real threat of several diseases, it was felt that there was too much risk to continue this, thus all orphaned ungulates are euthanized.  we encourage folks to leave orphaned animals alone (for one they are often not orphaned) and let nature take it's course

when I worked as a wilderness ranger for the USFS, I got to see a mule and a horse that both had to be put down in the backcountry (two separate incidents) and both were dynamited to keep grizzlies away; it's very effective and doesn't leave much and what is left is quickly devoured by birds and smaller animals

you learn quickly to stand waaaay back when a large animal is going to be dynamited 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Warden,

Why would there be a concern to attract grizzlies when you're already in their habitat?  Were you working in these areas and didn't want to attract them, or another reason?  Just wondering since it's backcountry and if the animal passed on it's own, would probably attract bears normally.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Warden,

Why would there be a concern to attract grizzlies when you're already in their habitat?  Were you working in these areas and didn't want to attract them, or another reason?  Just wondering since it's backcountry and if the animal passed on it's own, would probably attract bears normally.

The stock animals had to be put down near a trail (one near a trail and patrol cabin) didn't want a carcass that would be sure to attract a grizzly and the high likelihood of a conflict

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

we encourage folks to leave orphaned animals alone (for one they are often not orphaned) and let nature take it's course

you learn quickly to stand waaaay back when a large animal is going to be dynamited 

The one article I read said that  the hiker actually gave the calf a hug . Guess he's never seen a wild animal infested with parasites. I know it was  newborn, but at that time he couldn't have known if it had  had time to pick anything up yet.  Some people are just dumb.

I imagine it would have made a pretty big mess. I figured that there would have been a lot of bite sized chunks left over, but I can see how that would allow the smaller animals to get rid up it before Mr Griz got there.