Trailer Trash

View Ranger App (Read 23 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Anyone ever use it?  I'm going hiking in the Four Peaks area of AZ and the trails aren't well marked and its fairly remote.  The ranger suggested the app.  No, I won't be alone.  Suggestions on this or another app to use?

You people have issues 

AT-runner

Tim

I've used it and it works pretty well.  It's been a while, but I think you can search on your PC and have routes ready when you open the app.  When I'm deep in the woods, Google Maps (Android phone) still works the best for me.

View Ranger does show a bit more topography than Google Maps, like streams and smaller hills.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Thanks, AT.

You people have issues 

Sandy-2

Darn, I thought this was a NY Rangers hockey App, but then I remembered they LOST to the Penguins!!!! ;-)

I have used "mapmyrun" to help navigate, I imagine the App would be helpful.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Ultra Cowboy

I have the Gaia topo map app.  Maps take up a fair amount of memory, but I like the accuracy...

WYBMADIITY

Save

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'll echo Gaia- it turns your smartphone into a full fledged gps- you don't cell coverage for it to work (it works off satellite)- you load the maps you want- seamlessly: any size, you decide the refinement- personally I find the 1:24k (same size as the familiar topo maps) the best

you can also track with it (shows distance, pace, elevation and a few other tidbits

all for under $20

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Four Peaks wasn't nearly as remote as I thought.  The trails were well defined and marked.  I'll keep these apps in mind if I go more remote.

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

You people have issues 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'll echo Gaia- it turns your smartphone into a full fledged gps- you don't cell coverage for it to work (it works off satellite)- you load the maps you want- seamlessly: any size, you decide the refinement- personally I find the 1:24k (same size as the familiar topo maps) the best

you can also track with it (shows distance, pace, elevation and a few other tidbits

all for under $20

I received a free year of Gaia through ordering my sleeping bag.  I haven't activated yet because I haven't needed it, but it gets good reviews.  The $20 is an annual cost, right?

Running is dumb.