Trailer Trash

Stupid Leadville Question (Read 84 times)

Watoni

I have tried not to think about leadville until I at least attempt Lake Sonoma on the 13th, but of course there is likely not a hotel room in town. I was hoping to arrive Thursday evening and leave Sunday. Is that doable for Leadville?

Uh oh... now what?

I don't think the LT100 starts until early Saturday morning and it ends at ten a.m. Sunday (using a vague memory).  Thursday/Sunday should be just fine.

Occasional Runner

Doable in what way? Acclimation?

Watoni

Doable in what way? Acclimation?

No, just logistics.

I have given up on acclimation.

Uh oh... now what?

I'm not lace_up (I have grey hair), but...

The logistics problem might already be growing.  It is April.  We went to

training (or whatever it was called) weekend in late June.  When we were

checking out the guy asked if we wanted a room held for the 100.  He

said he had just had a cancellation--it was not a great place to stay, but

surely was handy.

On our second trip we were able to "sell" floor space on the house we

had for a week to 7,329 people (joking).  Space gets serious.. and the

bike > run week/weekend overlap (I have not checked the calendar, but

they used to be consecutive weekends) means there is an even bigger

demand.

There is bound to be a LT100 electronic group, Facebook, or twitter

presence full of details.

Occasional Runner

I think our trip is scheduled for the same dates. Finding a room may be a problem at this point. We make our reservations in January and the front desk clerk at our hotel holds a room for us until we confirm with him. You can also look in Twin Lakes or Buena Vista for a room if Leadville is sold out. Neither option is ideal, but it's better than camping.

Sandy-2

I booked a room at the Hostel (very runner, biker, hiker friendly) a few months ago, the guy told me then...  "You got the last opening.  Everyone after you gets put on the waitlist."

Good luck.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Uh oh... now what?

I have heard tell of late comers renting (car) something with

fold down seats because they knew they would not find a

room in town.  There are grocery stores and cafes, just not

many rooms to be had.  It isn't like you will sleep a lot...

Watoni

I have heard tell of late comers renting (car) something with

fold down seats because they knew they would not find a

room in town.  There are grocery stores and cafes, just not

many rooms to be had.  It isn't like you will sleep a lot...

Agreed. I need to see if I can even dream of finishing before worrying too much about this. I can find a room between Denver and Leadville for Thursday night, and then I likely will not need anything beyond that.

Based on last year's guide you need a medical check in on Friday, there is a mandatory meeting late morning, and then drop bags are set up late afternoon (3-5pm). You start running at 4am, so I figure I am up starting at midnight or so.

Hopefully better than my cycling Granfondo in Italy where I drove all night to the start, rode for about 10 hours through the mountains, then drove back to meet my family for dinner ...

Uh oh... now what?

... sorry.

Watoni

... sorry.

Why sorry?

I was just being unclear since I was hurrying to write something at work.

To be clear, I was by no means comparing the two events (Granfondo Marco Pantani/Leadville). What I was comparing was the logistics. Never having traveled more than two hours for a running event, I can only compare my cycling trips. For some I stayed in the start village where the entire town was set up for the race, including serving breakfast at 3am, and where you could ride 2-3 minutes to the start/finish. The ten-hour ride I was referring to was where I was with my family on vacation, got a day off to ride and had no room in the start town so I drove 6-7 hours through the night, rode 10 hours through the Alps and had to drive back to make it for the last seating at dinner. I was cramping so badly driving and was so tried having not slept in 30+ hours it was not a good scene. I am hoping the logistics for Leadville are better than that, although the run will certainly be much more taxing.

As for the spirit of your post, yes I am signed up. Like Lake Sonoma and many other running events, you sign up early or have no shot to get in. I am signing up today for a cycling race on April 27th and can still get a room at the start/finish, for comparison's sake. I also believe to run Leadville this year would be the biggest stretch of my life. The Cent Cols Challenge in the Dolomites last year was incredible and each day I thought I might not make it, but I did make all 100+ climbs (and a number of veterans of the Alps/Pyrenees trips did not). I think a challenge has to scare you a bit, and this certainly scares me. I work hard, have a wonderful bride and two great kids, and my training time is limited. I am going for it, but Lake Sonoma and perhaps the Marin Ultra Challenge will tell me more.

Occasional Runner

You can grab a shower in my room after the race if you want. I always rent a 2 room suite, so there may be a spot on the floor if you need it. My room is usually packed with crew and pacers, so even with a big room, space is limited.

And don't worry about Leadville. The course isn't that hard except for miles 40-60 and then 80-87. And then there's the altitude, but you've dealt with that before.

Watoni

You can grab a shower in my room after the race if you want. I always rent a 2 room suite, so there may be a spot on the floor if you need it. My room is usually packed with crew and pacers, so even with a big room, space is limited.

And don't worry about Leadville. The course isn't that hard except for miles 40-60 and then 80-87. And then there's the altitude, but you've dealt with that before.

Thanks! rying to get the family off the fence. If they come, we will stay someplace fun outside Leadville and they can drive me. Otherwise, I will just make do.

No showers at the race? The best part of playing Ultimate Frisbee in Europe was passing a bottle of sparkling wine around the shower (we were a co-ed team, so something for everyone, I suppose).

Occasional Runner

You may still be able to get a B&B in Twin Lakes. There are a lot of really cool places up in the canyons. You should check that out.

Watoni

You may still be able to get a B&B in Twin Lakes. There are a lot of really cool places up in the canyons. You should check that out.

Will do. Thank you!