Trailer Trash

Wear Out Wednesday (Read 18 times)

Daydreamer1

As in I'm wearing out the skin on my arms scratching the poison Ivy/Oak. And of course being the rather dense, anal retentive, sometimes OCD person that I am I was chopping more of it yesterday.

Worked last night so now it's nappy time. I'll get 3-4 hours then head out for a bike ride. Probably 25-30 miles. Just have no desire to run at this time. I feel really sluggish and slow for some reason.

QOTD: What is the thing that most drives you to get out and run/bike/swim or other wise be active?  I'm not necessarily  looking for the biggest reason, or your main reason, because they may be different, but I'm looking for the reason that pushes you out the door when you really just want to give up and become a couch potato.

What drives me the most and won't let me quit are the people in my life that are always telling me I shouldn't exercise too much, that it's unhealthy. The people that are basically rooting against me, for me to have a bad race, to get injured or other wise have to quit. That is the strongest thing that pushes me out the door when I don't want to go.  An example is when I mentioned to some relatives that I wanted to ride my bike up Mt Washington.  I got mocked roundly for that and when I was training and was just sick of hill repeats that was what kept me training. When I'm told that I'm getting too old to be running the longer miles that pushes me to not cut back even though sometimes I really want to just run shorter races.

My biggest reason for being active is that I like the way it makes me feel, but there are times that won't push me to get out and go.  But when I think of those people that just think I have to quit or who are ready to laugh if I have a DNF, that will get me going.

LB2

9 miles this morning. It ended up being another progression run, even though it wasn't supposed to be. I just ran by feeling, and with each loop it just worked out getting faster and faster. It wasn't super fast, but it felt good.

QOTD: If I have something coming up, I tend to think about the misery I will feel if I don't run vs. the pleasure I will get in the event if I am properly trained. Plus, I just like to go inside a little bubble and think about all sorts of things. I do that when I run, and I enjoy it.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Not sure of my day right now as I currently have a contractor here taking care of things and that may take some time then I have a Dr. appointment later for my bizarre tick bite and there is this hard rain that's supposed to move in so we'll see when and how far but there will be a run of some sort.

Daydreamer --sounds like you are surrounded by a bunch of negative people. I can see how that would help motivate you. I guess if my people were that discouraging to me I would probably try to find new people. Usually I get either encouragement, indifference, or some give a fake marvel as they really don't care.

QOTD--Tough one. Quality of life. Activities outside are just part of who I am. Certainly self motivated and never concerned with how I rank against others. I raced an awful lot when I was younger but I ran or biked for my personal reasons and not just as a means to race. I'm done racing but I'll gonna continue running, biking, etc. as long as I can. IDK--mental health, time alone, staying fit, and maybe living a little longer. But I think the main thing is it just enriches my life.

XtremeTaper

4 miles last night with the Lady on the trails of Green Lane. It was pleasantly summer like and hot. Dang I miss me some good hot summer evening running. Just a slog as it's all I can manage these days. Planet of fitness today for weights and such.

QOTD: I think I've said this before but I am a runner so it's what I do. I run for fitness, get in shape for racing now and then, but the real reason is for peace of mind, stress relief, and the joy of moving outdoors. I am an addict I know. Running. A better addiction than crack.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

beautiful morning here, most of the smoke has cleared out and the temps were in the upper 50's- very nice   Tiny E and I got 3-ish miles in before the sun came out

qotd: many things, but I literally have to get out- it can be trail running, hiking, hunting, backcountry skiing- all good, just a overwhelming need to be out- hard to put into words

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jonferg67

Endless trails

Another nice morning here in NY. I got about 3 miles in this morning, doesn't

sound like much but it felt great. Supposed to be another hot one today with

substantial humidity so I feel that heaviness. 

QOTD: I like being able to brag about a low resting heart rate.

AT-runner

Tim

Rest today.  Knee feels pretty darn good today, so my overly gentle approach seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

Bought a new Honda Ridgeline yesterday.  Had a 2006 Ridgeline and loved it. Put 168,000 miles on it before trading it in for a Subaru. Love the Subaru, but needed a truck for all the stuff I do.  The Ridgeline is a great trail runners vehicle with it's trunk in the rear bed. I already have my stuff in there.  I'll take it to the trails tomorrow for it's first day in the woods.

QOTD:  Health and sanity.  I'd be 260 pounds If I wasn't running. I know that for sure, because I was 260 pound in 1998 when I stopped doing triathlons and didn't work out for a while.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

I'm planning on running after work today.  I flew back to TX in Monday evening and arrived at 2:30am Tuesday morning, then went to "work" yesterday. . . ("work" is in quotes because I was not 100% with it all day). I took a SRD yesterday. I feel much better today and I want to get out for a run to see if all that high altitude and heavy up/down running the last 10 days helped in any way. I'll probably do my typical 5 mi loop. The heat is going to kill me after running in 50 deg all last week.

mt, thanks for the "imgur" info, I'll get on that in the next day or two. (Edit: ok here are two from the CT, I ran out on the Indian Trail Ridge to meet up with the riders who were coming in the opposite direction. A nice little jaunt along the narrow ridge.)

Thanks for remembering me everyone... I feel so welcome here. 

qotd: For the most part if I have a run on the horizon that is what gets me up and out the door.  But I do feel so much better being in some sort of shape and for me running is the most efficient way to do that.  Plus obviously I do like it for its zen-type properties - stress-relief and getting out and moving properties.  As XT says, perhaps we're addicted to it, but it's better than being addicted to other stuff.

tbd.

muppy

11.3 miles on the Appalachian Trail and some mountain bike trails.

QOTD  I guess I just enjoy time in the woods to myself,  to think about things and just space out. It's  so nice when you get in that happy little running bubble where everything is so free and easy.  I did about 2 miles on a beautiful, single track,down hill trail where it didn't even seem like I was running,it was so fun and easy!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sandy- after a month of abnormally warm temperatures (second warmest July on record here!)- that looks mighty inviting 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So far nothing....at least need to go to the gym.  Thought about doing the treadmill but I'll get just as sweaty as a run outside in this 100 degree weather we have going.

QOTD:  So far today nothing has got me out the door.  To be brief it's my dogs, worrying about losing fitness level, and weight control.  Once I am out there and after it's for nature and how it makes me feel.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Woke up at noon and was getting ready to head out for a bike ride when I looked at the weather. Showed a big storm moving in so I decided to wait until that passed. About the time I was getting ready to log in here the lights flickered and the electricity went on and off about 8-10 times in rapid succession then completely went out. Blew in a nice storm. My weather station said that the max wind was 38 mph but it had to be more like 60 the way the trees were bending. The temp dropped 20-30 degrees and we got a nice amount of 1/4 - 1/2 inch hail. That passed and I went for the ride. Trees down all over the roads. Most of them were already dead or obviously in bad shape.  There are just too many trees around here that need to be cut down due to being killed by disease. It's getting to the point that it's not even safe to drive on some of the roads in a high wind condition.  That being said I lost a tree in my wood plot.  It was one that I was trying to decide how to drop without killing some of the young stuff around it. I must say the wind did an excellent job with placement on it as the only thing it hit was a old water heater I had sitting on my scrap metal pile.

NH - You hit the nail on the head with the negative people I have around me.  We are heading to MI to see my BIL. His whole family will be there and I'm not looking forward to it. Most are extremely obese and as they age they are getting more intolerant of our more active lifestyle.  I'm sure I'll get some snarky remarks from the 400+ pounders about how I'm looking older and slower. My BIL has always been overweight but actually enjoyed seeing me achieve my goals. Once he's gone I'll probably no longer interact with a lot of the family.

Jon - +1 on the low resting heart rate.  DO you ever get someone who is on a bunch of heart rate lowering medications try to out do you?

Sandy - I was thinking about mounting a search and rescue operation after you didn't check in for awhile. Looking at those pictures it might have been necessary.

NorthernHarrier

I'm so out of it from time to time. Find out tonight that the 2017 World Crossfit games are right here in Madison and start tomorrow. Crap, no time to train or enter. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

T-storms all afternoon so it was after 5 PM before I got out to run and even then I wasn't sure if we were done with them so I played hamster and ran in short loops.

qotd: mostly remembering how much more painful racing can be when I haven't put in the training.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm so out of it from time to time. Find out tonight that the 2017 World Crossfit games are right here in Madison and start tomorrow. Crap, no time to train or enter. 

well I hope you can at least come out and cheer me on 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √