Trailer Trash

Tracking Western States Weekender (Read 24 times)

Daydreamer1

Had a slow but pretty decent 7 miles last evening. Started out very humid then got soaked in a heavy shower which was actually pretty nice. Today it looks like the weather has blown through and it will be clear. Actually wish we would have gotten more rain. Other people get way too much and we are still in a rain deficit in my area.

Not sure if I'll run today or just do a bike ride with DW. Maybe I'll do a little bit of both. Have a lot of stuff to get done around the house.

http://www.ultralive.net/ws100#tracking/overview

Thought I'd put in the link for Western States.

QOTD: Just building a little bit on yesterday's question.  I think that Walmsley will probably win and set a record unless the weather is too hot. But the question that I have for today is: How long do you think that Walmsley will continue to run at this level?

I give him one or two years then I think he'll fade away. He's really burst onto the scene and is tearing it up. But looking at so many others that have done that they haven't lasted long. Guys like Roes, Krupicka, Kyle Skaggs, Dakota Jones, Rob Krar, Ryan Hall are either out of racing or racing a lot of shorter races. And that's just picking on the men, there are some women as well that fit that category. When I was researching them one thing kept cropping up; over training syndrome.  In looking at Walmsley's pictures the dude is seriously underweight/lean.  I don't see how his adrenal's don't shut down. He looks as bad as Meltzer and Jurek did after they finished setting the AT records.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Probably will get a long-ish run in today.  Would like to get into the mountains again tomorrow, but I think DW has other plans (plans that involve work ).

qotd: I ran at the same event that Walmsley made his debut trail run- (30k) he won the event (I think he made a wrong turn on this one too) pretty handily.  He was in the US Air Force stationed out of Great Falls just north of here, so it was natural that he made the move from pavement to trails.  On the road he would run back to back 5k's and 10k's (talking maybe 10-15 minutes in between) and win both!- the guy definitely has speed (and now proven endurance).

Hard telling how long he will leave his mark on the scene; Killian is still certainly leaving his mark, but plenty that haven't.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I had to go deposit a check at the bank this morning, which brought me past a little country road route I like to run to sort of test fitness. It is hilly. Because of the weather, I pushed my long run back from today to tomorrow morning. Anyway, the rain didn't do what they said it was going to do, so I could have done my long run today. Anyway, I just wanted to see if I could get a negative split on the five mile out and back and keep it at like a 25 out and 24 back. I didn't pay too much attention to my watch, and it was super muggy and hot when I got out there. So, I figured it would be a tough go because heat kills me. I hit the turn around in 22:01 and made it back to the truck in 20:45. So, my overall average pace was about 8:34ish. For me, that is pretty good under the conditions. The effort was hard, but it wasn't all out by any means. My wife says my weight it too low, slightly under 180. That is quite light for me. However, I think I am going to try to stay in that range until my fall race is over, maybe drop it to 170ish for race day.

QOTD: That is a great question. I think Walmsley is very self aware, and he knows he is pushing the limits. I think that is part of his plan. I think he can hang on for a few more years, maybe several. If you look at his race schedule, he doesn't race too much during the year. He has a pretty focused plan. I agree that you could have quite a long list of individuals who have just totally crashed and burned from too much racing at a high level at extreme distances. I think Geoff Roes is probably the greatest example, with Krar a close second. I really don't know what happened to Krar, but he showed up suddenly and disappeared just as fast.

LB2

Sandy-2

Got back home last night, slept in this morning. Not sure but I might try to get in a few miles later today.  We've had thunderstorms all morning and they are supposed to continue all day.  We'll see if I can squeeze a run in.

qotd:  I'm following WS off and on today. Should be interesting on both sides. Men's to see if Walmsley can get the record and Woman's due to all of the contenders.

Longevity at the very top level is tough, they certainly do push the envelope as far as endurance edges are concerned. If he doesn't over do it in training and doesn't race too often that will help. I can't say that I know his views in this respect.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NHLA

7 miles at DuPont Forest. Humid but a cold front coming.

Daydreamer1

Well, it looks like Walmsley won't win this year. According to irunfar's twitter feed. He's dropping due to stomach issues.  Doesn't appear as if the record will be broken either.

LB2

It was definitely a tough day to be Jim Walmsley. I picked him to win and set a course record, but in the back of my mind, I thought it may be a little too much hype. No question that he is capable of doing it, but I have to wonder if there isn't some mental thing going on that just seems to put this race out of his reach. This race may be his white whale in some ways. He just can't seem to have the day he is capable of there, maybe next time. Nevertheless, my predictions were probably as good as anyone else's in the men's field, but my women were all over the place. I was spot on for the Master's winner in the men and women, but most of my ladies DNF'd or had a really tough day. I was glad to see Avery Collins get in the top 10. I thought this course would be too fast for him to do that well here; I was wrong. I think he got 6th. I picked Sandes for 3rd, but in the back of my mind, I knew he could probably have a good chance of winning if something happened to Walmsley. I figured it would be between him and Browning at that point. I forgot who got 3rd, but Browning moved up to 4th.

I'll run 15 after church today. I need some time in the sun.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

too bad for Jim- he definitely was setting a fast pace (too fast for the heat???)

got a nice 12 miles in yesterday; not my fastest for this out & back, but close 

hoping to get 6-ish in today

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Charging up DW's bike. Probably ride for 20-25 miles with her. Might do a run afterwards, distance to be determined.  DW wanted to do a ride yesterday but then she got a call that a longtime friend and co-worker was dying from her cancer so she went to say goodbye. Got there in the nick of time.  Ended up doing a nice 27 mile ride myself last evening. Saw a lot of deer out.