Trailer Trash

Frickin' Freezing Fridailies (Read 273 times)

I'm not one to really complain as it's still hovering around freezing in PA, but the title refers to my run last night.  I didn't dress appropriately and ended up with a chill that lasted for hours! Always check the wind chill folks.

Today I'm planning to get in 5-6 miles on the road. Tomorrow is a nice long trail run on the trails where my May 50k is held.

QOTD:  What's your shoe(s) of the moment?    Mine are Brooks Ghost 5 for road and Brooks Cascadias for trails.

Occasional Runner

It's 6 degrees here, so I will not accept whining from anybody lucky enough to be in the double digits.

I logged 7 this morning. Jo and I are headed to Moab a little later today so I can run the Red Hot 55k course this weekend. I love running down there. I might take the mountain bike too...haven't decided yet. If not, we'll take it next weekend when we go to Zion for a training run on the Zion 100 course. It's nice to have these options.

QOTD: I've been wearing my Inov-8 Roc Lite 295's lately because they're warmer than most my shoes and they have a really aggressive tread pattern, which works well in the snow. Otherwise, I would be wearing my NB Minimus MT10's.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning all! Lazy and unscheduled rest today.  I could not get out of bed.  I am good for those at least 1x per week.

trailsnCocktails - been there and done that on not dressing warm enough - for me it is usually my hands.  I am one to need more warmth on my fingers. If they are cold, everything is cold. hope your run tomorrow is good for you.

QOTD: trail = salomon crossmax, road = brooks ravenna & ascis 2160's (still hangin in there)

Have a great day and weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Good morning.  I'm back from our trip to Oregon.  I'll try to post some pictures later.  Lots of snow near Mt. Hood.

6 miles on snowy trails in PA yesterday and 5 on road today at lunch.

TrailsnCocktails - know what you mean about wind chill.  Usually happens to me when I make a turn 1/2 way into run.

Hope everyone has a great New Year!

QOTD: I rotate.  Mostly run on  Mizuno Wave, but will use my Inov8's and MT 101's.  Have a pair of Hooka's I' added into rotation and so far so good.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Morning TnC, lace, boyjamie and AT,

A paltry 45 deg and rain down here in east TX, I think we're supposed to get up into the 50's today.  No wind-chil for me.  I didn't get to do my run yesterday so took a URD.  I'll get those 5 or 6 miles today after work.  Still kind of tapering for my road marithon next weekend.  I'm going to be so "undertrained" for this one, but really I don't care, just gonna run it for fun this time.

qotd:  been running roads and trails in Asic Nimbus (roadies) for years and years w/o any issues.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

morning!

I had the same problem getting  out of bed this morning... and that was after bailing on my planned run last night, too.   Not sure what's in store for later.    As for appropriate dress, the cold usually hits my quadriceps-- really, I need something like leg warmers, but upper leg only.  And, I'd have to somehow  keep them from sagging to my ankles.  Garters?  Smile

Aanyone have a good recommendation for heavier tights? (I have fleece tights, but those only come out in low teens and single digits).

qotd- road- brooks ravenna; trails- asics 2170s, which have been discontinued but I have a couple pairs in stock.

sugnim

Good morning everyone.  It is cold, indeed.  6 degrees F here in Missoula.  I did a nice 6 miles after work yesterday evening when it was 12 degrees.  I'm not sure if I'll be running this evening.  My SO wants to go see Les Miserables this evening.

QOTD:  I have a pair of ASICS GT 2170 that I love and a pair of ASICS gore tex 2000 that I also love.  I won a pair of New Balance 850v3 but I haven't used them enough to really know what I think about them.  They seem more like a shoe for warmer weather.

runtrailDC: Maybe you could try wearing compression shorts under your tights to help keep your quads warm.

Happy Friday all!

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Planned on 6 this morning, then got stuck at work til midnight. I'll get it in this evening after work.

It's probably better that way because it's -7 F right now.

Curse you people on the positive side of zero.

Lace, are you going to do a little write up of the moab course? I'm curious about what to expect from it. Have fun!

runtrailsdc: what about something like this?

http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/ride/accessories/5.-productCode-14371209.html

I've been seriously getting these.

QOTD:

Brooks Ghost 5, Saucony Kinvara 2, and Brooks Cascadia 7. I try to rotate regularly.

DigDug2

6.5 on the roads this a.m. - 20 degrees or so, cold not uncomfortable.  Forgot my flashlight, but moon was bright enough to run by.

QOTD:  mostly Mizuno Wave Rider 15 on roads, Mizuno Wave Ascend 6 on trails.  Big fan of Mizuno.

NorthernHarrier

Good mornin'

Feeling a little funky today. Found some Sudafed in my running bag, hope it helps but I think I've got  a good sized cold brewing. Not cool.

Though I'm ready for spring I really have no complaints about our weather here. I don't really think we have gotten really cold or had what I call brutal conditions YET. Still a lot of time for that good stuff.

Mile intervals on tap today. I just can't get my legs to turnover the way I want. I'm not getting tired but they just won't go any faster. It's either the affects of my injuries of the last two years or my current geriatric condition...or both. Aaagghh.

QOTD--Have 5 active pairs going, 3 more pairs sitting in boxes. I guess current favs would be LaSportiva Raptors and North Face Dbl track.

TrailDC-- don't know if they are considered light or heavy but I run in Hind Munich tights thru our entire winter. Similar to the original Sporthill tight with a little better feel and more durable.

Edit/add-- What sugnim said. That's exactly what I do if it's a liitle extra cold or windy.

Occasional Runner

Lace, are you going to do a little write up of the moab course? I'm curious about what to expect from it. Have fun!

I'm going to post a blog about it, but not for another week. I'm going to do a training run on the Zion 100 course next weekend, so I thought I would lump them together in one post. I'll include pictures, a description and data from my Garmin.

Watoni

Heck, it is below freezing here in the woods adjoining Silicon Valley ... good for running, not so good for cycling with the frost.

Perhaps a ride later ... need to figure out shoe issues (apropos QOTD)

QOTD: I run with success in La Sportiva Vertical Ks and X Countrys. Everything else seems to leave me with an injury, but neither is sufficient so far for 50k+, so I am stuck.

Just bought the brand new La Sportiva Helios yesterday, which are supposed to be a slightly beefed up version of the Vertical K ... result, left foot blister on a short run Angry Hokas? twisted ankle on that clown platform Cry Inov-8? Major blisters and my only trail fall (leading to surgery that I am still recovering from) Black eye  Maybe I should stick to cycling ...

Hey Lace, I am running the Moab 55k in my dreams, so do a report, ok?

Occasional Runner

Just bought the brand new La Sportiva Helios yesterday, which are supposed to be a slightly beefed up version of the Vertical K ... result, left foot blister on a short run Angry Hokas? twisted ankle on that clown platform Cry Inov-8? Major blisters and my only trail fall (leading to surgery that I am still recovering from) Black eye  Maybe I should stick to cycling ...

Hey Lace, I am running the Moab 55k in my dreams, so do a report, ok?

Fill your pockets full of Chia seeds and run barefoot. Problem solved.

Fill your pockets full of Chia seeds and run barefoot. Problem solved.

Big grin

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning folks!  Cold here too this AM 5 F, BUT supposed to climb to 30- we'll see.  Strength training today, my run yesterday afternoon was a killer- it was only 8.5 miles, but there was between 3-12" of snow (snow tends to move around here a lot Big grin), it felt like I ran 20+ miles when I was done.  Was averaging blistering 13 minute miles Smile

for warm tights, I recently purchased some OR Centrifuge pants that I'm pretty happy with- if it's below 20, these are the tights I grab

I learned quickly last winter that if it's windy, you want wind briefs/boxers- not sure if that holds true for gals, but freezing your junk isn't much fun!

qotd: Montrail Sabino Trails replete w/ sheetmetal screws

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √