Trailer Trash

Shooting Star Tuesday (Read 18 times)

runtraildc

Logged 3 miles with a friend and her dog this morning during swim tryouts. It took a lot of self-talk to get into my running stuff, but I had already texted my friend and asked she at least bring her dog if she wasn't up for a run. I knew the power of dog guilt, at the very least. And it worked.

We also saw a shooting star, which was amazing. The sky was pretty dark with no moon, so even in the suburbs, it was easily visible.

qotd: Last good deed that you have done? Mine was simple (and easy)-- After my run last night, I stopped at the store. As expected, it was crazy busy and the guy in front of me was working to jam stuff into his bike bag, and left his wallet on the counter. I was able to get his attention and return it to him just before he ran out the door. I figure I saved him some panic when he got home and that desperate back tracking to find it.

Daydreamer1

Didn't feel like running last evening so I went for a 4 mile walk with DW. Got back and was feeling better so thought I'd do an elliptical session later in the evening.  About 6:30 I heard my phone ring. Left it go to voice mail then checked it.

Supervisor from part time job: "Hey Craig, just checking up on you, you had a shift on the 1 truck that started at 6:00. .  Hmmmm........so do I ignore it for a hour or two then call in a beg off being sick or just go in late ?????   I'm too darn dedicated, I went in.  Now it's messed up my entire day today cause now I have to sleep some.  Don't know how I forgot but I did. Didn't miss any calls so it actually saved the company some. I'll get a 1/2 bag less peanuts this pay period .

Planning on 5-7 miles today unless I get tied up with something else that I forgot about .

QOTD:   I've picked up credit cards and turned them in or chased people down to get it too them after I saw them drop them. Picked up a neighbors mail one time that was blowing down the road.  For awhile there were quite a few fires or people having medical events in their lives where I tried to help out financially.  Probably don't do as many as I should, because I'm having too much trouble thinking of one that happened it the past several months .

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny E and I got 3.5 miles in yesterday evening- started out 40 and cloudy, about 1/2 way into our loop it turned to 40 and pouring rain- that picked up our pace significantly 

Plan on about the same this evening (minus the rain).

qotd: I took my saw out on Saturday and got rid of a few blowdown on one of the local trails- even got thanked for it by a guy hiking.  On my way home I drove by a little public area, that unfortunately has become a hangout for teens at night that are too lazy to put their trash in the provided can.  There was an old lady (80+) picking up all the trash- God bless her!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jonferg67

Endless trails

Thanks for the support yesterday, folks. Much appreciated.

I got out this morning for about an hour; road and trail. It was one

of those cold, crisp, sunny New York mornings.

DD1: sounds like a senior moment.

QOTD: I helped a guy the other day struggling with his wheelchair. I've

leaned my lesson about that type of help; Ask First! I tried to help an

elderly lady at a restaurant (without asking), and she shouted "I didn't ask for help".

I replied; "You're right, I apologize." then watched her struggle. A metaphor for

life.

Sandy-2

Got tied up at work yesterday and didn't run afterwards.  I need to run after work today no matter what.

An update on my Brazos Bend plans, turns out my DD forgot about an event on Fri/Sat that she promised her BF that she'd attend so she is not doing Brazos after all.  Of course she couldn't have remembered that before I signed up. I asked her to confirm so many time before I signed up...  kids.  Anyway, I'll still do it and she will be able to get there in time to pace me for the last loop.

qotd: I helped Hurricane Harvey evacuees out of rescue boats.

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yet.  I will run tonight but distance tbd.

QOTD: I had numerous good deeds this weekend: first is I put up with 7 pre-teen/teen boys for a birthday sleepover.  They woke me up at 2am with their yelling/playing and I did not kill any of them.    Then on Sunday DD was coming out of the house as I was coming in and the dog got loose.  She is the type of dog to just take off.  She made a B line for a man walking his dog.  Mind you that our dog is probably not much bigger than Warden's Tiny E.  Anyways, I was able to wrangle my dog up while the guy wrestled his decent size dog who wanted to eat our dog.  I was about to enter back into our house when I heard the guy shouting from down the street to me that I should of at least apologized.  My good deed you ask? I did not "wave" at him.  I was nice and said sorry and went back into my house.  Oh by the way, the guy was on his cell phone the whole time.  At no time did my dog do anything to try and hurt him or his dog.  She charged, yes but she is all of 8 lbs and couldn't hurt a flea.  It's not my fault that he could barely handle Cugo.  So there you go, I have been a good boy. 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

moonlightrunner

I had a lovely hike last night...some running...trying to figure out how to use hiking poles. Apparently I did not do it right. My arms don't hurt. My poles are too short...so I can add another to my ever growing list of stuff to buy.

Tonight I will go home and fix dinner for my parents, who are not faring well these days. I am thinking some speedwork on local roads after.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

Five fast ones this morning, effortless. I love cold weather.

QOTD: I gauge this by helping a complete stranger, and I have not done that in awhile because I haven't been around anyone I don't know in quite awhile. I help family and friends out quite often, though. I just don't think of it as a "good deed".

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Got to the woods and I feel much better for it. Almost like magical powers when I compare how my mood was yesterday to during and after my run today.

Jon -"Keep on keepin' on".  Were her for you. PM if you need to vent / rant / etc. You are not alone!

Dreamer - agree - senior moment, or as I call it Half-heimer's (as compared to Alzheimer's).

DC - I love shooting stars, or anything astronomical.

QOTD:   Last good deed = took staff out for dinner and drinks to commiserate celebrate starting our new software.  Best good deed lately = raised a good deal of money for McKenna's family, a little girl fighting for her life in Hershey with leukemia. We've also been watching her sister a lot as DD#2 has been their babysitter since McKenna was born.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I was dreaming about waiting in line at the restroom, I really had to go and I was next in line; I couldn't wait.  Thank god I woke up!    Got out there and ran 4.5.

QOTD: I took my friend to the airport at 10 Pm and will be picking him up this Saturday at 10 PM.  Not really a big deal but takes over an hour to get there and he appreciated.  10 is bedtime in my book.    ok 11 on the weekends, well Friday.  Wait is that a good deed or just what you do for friends? 

runtraildc:wHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET THAT DOG YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED?

daydreamer:  Hi Craig...no idea that was your name.

Warden:  E is for Elvis, right?

Sandy:  Pretty tricky way for her to get you to sign up for another hundy!!!  I would have been pissed.

Jaime:  You made me feel better about what I thought was a good deed. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Sandy:  Pretty tricky way for her to get you to sign up for another hundy!!!  I would have been pissed.

Queen, what can you do, she is pretty tricky like that.  I figure since I'm "sure" to be picked in the HR lottery on Dec 2nd, I'll use Brazos as a kick-off for my training for the HR run next July.  Plus Brazos will be good training for my marathon in January.   A little ultra-logic for ya.  

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Queen, what can you do, she is pretty tricky like that.  I figure since I'm "sure" to be picked in the HR lottery on Dec 2nd,

1) I'll use Brazos as a kick-off for my training for the HR run next July. 

2) Plus Brazos will be good training for my marathon in January.   A little ultra-logic for ya.  

1) You know you're and ultrarunner when you say you are using a 100 to train for another 100. 

2) Yes, if you want to run a slow marathon. 

Agree, your DD tricked you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Nothing today or yesterday.  I'm targeting this weekend to start running again.  Still hacking up lung gunk periodically so I'm not quite there yet, but soon!  Getting antsy to put this bronchitis behind me for good.

Queen, if you come down to HMB in January, I will be here and (hopefully) capable of running a few miles with you.  Keep me posted on dates.  The last weekend in January is not good but I'm open otherwise.  I did Mt. Hood last year, loved it.  Hate how everything I want to do seems to be a lottery or sells out so darn quickly these days.

QOTD: my latest good deed, which I'm going to make a new year's resolution, is to pick up at least one piece of litter on every run/walk/hike and dispose of it properly.  Most recently, that included a can, a potato chip bag, and plastic wrapper, which are now safely in the appropriate waste receptacles and won't end up in the ocean.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR