Trailer Trash

Zumbro 100 (Read 56 times)

Messenjah

Anyone done it? Thoughts? Advice?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Nope.  But back when I could still run, it was on my short list of 100s to consider running.  I have heard it described as "Sawtooth Light."  There are bluffs in that part of Minnesota.  Same RD as Sawtooth though, and he runs a good race.  Weather could definitely be dicey in April.

Running is dumb.

Messenjah

Do you know is it insanely rocky/rooty? I am really trying to figure out shoe choices and if I need to go "beefy"

Wanna come crew? You can get drunk and hurl insults at me

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Do you know is it insanely rocky/rooty? I am really trying to figure out shoe choices and if I need to go "beefy"

Wanna come crew? You can get drunk and hurl insults at me

I don't know.  If I had to wager a guess, I wouldn't think it would be "insanely" rocky/rooty.  I do remember hearing it has some sandy patches.  And since you're running a 100, I would personally go for the beefier shoes in a general sense just because of the miles.  (You weirdo, who ran in 101s on pavement!)

That sounds fabulous   Believe me, I would love to drink beer and yell at you to keep going (as we know I am good at), but I'll be only about a month out of surgery and that's probably not a good idea from a healing perspective.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Never done it, and not heard of it until now, but I looked at some pictures and RR's, and it seems a bit unpredictable in terms of weather and conditions. Still sounds like a nice race, though.

On the shoes, I would not go too "beefy". I found that even more minimalist shoes (not exactly minimalist, but not too well-cushioned, with low drop and low stack height) provide good protection on somewhat rocky, rooty trails. They allow you to move more nimbly and reduce tripping and ankle-twisting. Considering the distance, you might need some cushioning, though. It depends on your feet, what you are used to, and which shoes fit best in terms of avoiding blisters even on long distances.

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

Have wanted to do the little 17 miler for the last couple years and kinda been planning it for this spring. Still not sure if I want to spend $60 bucks and have to be there at a certain time or just do a 4 hour run in the driftless area like at the Kickapoo preserve. I'll just keep watching the entries and make my decision when forced.

As far as shoes everything I have heard is that it is just basic trail running. Nothing overly technical. Just dirt, sand and a little gravely. If there is any snow it should be minimal(but then again...)  The thing is if you are doing the 100 you will be doing 6 laps. If you make the wrong choice on shoes just change them for the next loop.

Have you ever made a decision to do a race based on the shirt you are paying for or other swag? I think that is why I opted not to do it last year if I remember. I guess I'm fussy.

Messenjah

I wear the Merrell Mix Master 2 as my go to shoe, but it appears they are being disconnected. That's really why I am trying to decide what to wear. They are a pretty minimal shoe, but definitely not a vibram or something like that. I really like the wide toe box.

NH - What was it about the swag that you didn't like? The shirts looked pretty sweet from last year.

LB2

Take a look at Altra shoes. I think you might like those. I do.

LB2

runtraildc

I don't have personal experience with this race, but know this part of MN.  Mandy and Harrier have described the conditions well and it certainly will not be as rocky/root filled as Superior.  Like others have said, the weather will be the most tricky.  After this year-- lots of mud (frozen), possibly cold rain/snow/sleet or sunshine and 70s with wildflowers blooming at your feet.

Hmm, I'm tempted to sign up for the 17M.  I need to get back to MN this spring and this might fit nicely into my plans.

Messenjah

I don't have personal experience with this race, but know this part of MN.  Mandy and Harrier have described the conditions well and it certainly will not be as rocky/root filled as Superior.  Like others have said, the weather will be the most tricky.  After this year-- lots of mud (frozen), possibly cold rain/snow/sleet or sunshine and 70s with wildflowers blooming at your feet.

Hmm, I'm tempted to sign up for the 17M.  I need to get back to MN this spring and this might fit nicely into my plans.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. If you do run it look me up. I'll be camping at the end. Me and a buddy are camping at the start/finish line. We're going to have LOTS of cold beer to numb our extremities afterward

Messenjah

Take a look at Altra shoes. I think you might like those. I do.

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but honestly what would be the difference from going from a 5mm drop to a zero drop for my first 100?

NorthernHarrier

Was tossing it around whether to do the 17 mile option but have decided to skip this event. I will instead do a 15k in central Wi. which will only be a 2 hour drive from here and cost about half the price. And even though I had a 60 mile week last week I just don't feel fit enough to race that hilly course.

So good luck Messenjah, I hope you have good conditions and really nail it.

And runtrail, if you are still thinking about it there are only 23 spots available as I type this though with your knee issue it probably is no longer an option I'm guessing.

runtraildc

Finally admitted to myself that I was delusional if I thought attempting this race was even remotely realistic and/or a good idea.  I hope to be back up running soon, but it'll be shorter distances than the 17M for a while.

So, good luck Messenjah!  And NH, have fun at your 'local' race.

Messenjah

EPIC FAIL!!!! Will post a race report shortly

LB2

Sorry to hear that, but I am very interested in reading the story.

LB2