Trailer Trash

Are trail shoes really needed? (Read 27 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So far I've gotten by running in road shoes, primarily the Brooks Glycerine and Saucony Ride series, but I've also never run in really muddy or slippery conditions. I'm assuming the trails I've run on in Valley Forge NP and Ridley Creek SP are typical.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

It really all depends on the type of trails and how much your feet can handle.  For example, it's looking like it will be dry this weekend at Hyner so traction won't be a big issue. In that regard a road shoe will handle what you need for traction there, unless of course it ends up raining and getting slippy then you might do some slip n slide.  What you might find, however, is that the rocks will beat your feet up. That's where a trail shoe with either a lot of padding (Hokas), or something with a rock plate will spare your feet some abuse.

In the end it all comes down to the trail and your feet.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

It really all depends on the type of trails and how much your feet can handle.  For example, it's looking like it will be dry this weekend at Hyner so traction won't be a big issue. In that regard a road shoe will handle what you need for traction there, unless of course it ends up raining and getting slippy then you might do some slip n slide.  What you might find, however, is that the rocks will beat your feet up. That's where a trail shoe with either a lot of padding (Hokas), or something with a rock plate will spare your feet some abuse.

In the end it all comes down to the trail and your feet.

+1, I wore road shoes for the first year of trail running.  I then bought a pair of trail shoes and there was a lot of difference.  The trails I run on are very rocky though.  Trail shoes usually have better traction.

You people have issues 

XtremeTaper

I agree with all of the above and will add that trail shoes also typically drain water better than road shoes for those times the trails are wet and puddly, or for trails with stream or creek crossing where avoiding water is nearly impossible.

Also, I've run VF park enough and the trails are not too difficult in term of rocks and footing, excepting of course the Mt. Misery climb which is fairly typical I suppose. I believe you are running Hyner this weekend? It might be a bit too late to switch gears into trails shoes if you've been running exclusively with road shoes.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I agree that it's too late to switch now for Hyner.  But you do have other trail races in your future so might be something you experiment in the near future.  You will be fine in road shoes at Hyner unless of course the out sole is already worn then I would wear something that has some tread.  I agree with dreamer too that you may feel the rocks a bit more but some people like that.  The trails at VF are rocky so it won't be too much more at Hyner.  There will definitely be some "bolder climbing" though at Hyner.

Brooks makes a nice trail shoe (Cascadia) if you like the fit of your Glycerins.  (*Disclaimer - some have grumbled about how Brooks has screwed up the Cascadia from previous versions).

I think the only way you will know if by trying a pair out and comparing to your road shoes.  But don't do it for Hyner.

For me, I have three pair of shoes I rotate between - a pair of Hoka Stinson for pavement (they are trail shoes but the out sole is bare so road it it), a pair of Asics for the gym (dreadmill), and pair of Hoka Challenger for trails.  I like the mix of shoes, it seems to benefit my feet.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm about ready for a new pair of shoes and am looking forward to the Elkhorn 50K in Montana. If all goes well I also expect to run more trail races in the future all around the country.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Trail running shoes come in better colors than road shoes.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm about ready for a new pair of shoes and am looking forward to the Elkhorn 50K in Montana. If all goes well I also expect to run more trail races in the future all around the country.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the Elkhorn would probably warrant trail shoes; if there happened to precip even more so

and like the Queen said- better colors 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √