Trailer Trash

Trail Running Vacation (Read 70 times)

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but for next Spring/Summer, I would love to take a trip to one of the country's best places for trail running. I'm obviously thinking Colorado, California, Utah, etc but looking for specific spots and lesser known areas as well. Any specific recommendations based on trips, races, or places you've lived? It does NOT need to focus on a race, I actually am quite fond of the idea of going somewhere and just running for fun everyday.

For reference, I live in PA currently, and would be looking to go anywhere in the continental US.

Uh oh... now what?

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but for next Spring/Summer, I would love to take a trip to one of the country's best places for trail running. I'm obviously thinking Colorado, California, Utah, etc but looking for specific spots and lesser known areas as well. Any specific recommendations based on trips, races, or places you've lived? It does NOT need to focus on a race, I actually am quite fond of the idea of going somewhere and just running for fun everyday.

For reference, I live in PA currently, and would be looking to go anywhere in the continental US.

Whew... for a second there I thought the Pacific Northwest would make the "obviously" list.

There are no good runnable trails north of the Siskiyous or west of the Bitterroots.  It is too

wet, hot, cold, dry, muddy, sandy, or the tide is too high.  We have bears, mountain lions,

porcupines, and Sasquatch® too.  Our whales do not appear on any known schedules; same

with otters and stuff.  Our trees are ugly shades of brown and greens--many are old and wrinkly.

Nope, nothing here, move along--yes, that is Canada just over there.

The Guadalupes (westerly Texas) would be much better. Mt. Wheeler in Great Basin NP is

nice.  Maybe catch sunrise over the Amorgosas, run up Panamint and finish at Whitney Portal?

Run Going to the Sun in Glacier NP... Leopold Wilderness in New Mexico... anything in the

Wind River Range.

How much time will you have?

Birdwell

Well, I'm a little biased towards southern utah Big grin

There are some epic places to check out down here.

Check out this place http://crewmyrun.wordpress.com/

They do supported (food and transportation  runs throughout southern Utah. They're also run by the same guy who put on the Zion 100 (Lace up's buddy Matt)

Well worth the time to check out.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

http://www.shta.org/Photos/index.php

It's not Colorado or Utah, but if you're looking for something less touristy, less people, and less expensive...the North shore is absolutely beautiful.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

http://www.shta.org/Photos/index.php

It's not Colorado or Utah, but if you're looking for something less touristy, less people, and less expensive...the North shore is absolutely beautiful.

Well sure, she is from Pennsylvania Cool .  She'll think she is way out west by going to Minnesota SmileBig grinWinkJokingShocked.

On the other hand... we saw the moon rise straight up out of the waters one night somewhere north of Duluth, beeyooootifulllllll.

AT-runner

Tim

You might consider Portland, OR, and I'll hook you up with my 25yo DD.  Of course you'd have to drink a craft beer every night.  Running would be the falls area of the Columbia River Gorge and 1 hour drive to Mt. Hood region.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Well sure, she is from Pennsylvania Cool .  She'll think she is way out west by going to Minnesota SmileBig grinWinkJokingShocked.

On the other hand... we saw the moon rise straight up out of the waters one night somewhere north of Duluth, beeyooootifulllllll.

Nope, nothing to see up there.  Yes, that is Canada, those are swarms of mosquitoes and Isle Royale NP rangers do not want you running on their trails (even though they do).  oh, and you can easily spend the day on great tails and swimming in lakes and streams without seeing a soul.  Check with NorthernHarrier to confirm stories of folks getting seriously lost up in those parts...  I would highly recommend the Pacific Northwest instead, regardless of John M's 'recommendations'  Smile

seriously, I don't think you can go wrong pretty much anywhere-- just look for good national and state parks and forests.  And stay away from the big ones during mid-summer (Tetons, Yellowstone, Yosemite).

One of my favorites is the Bay Area-- great trails in the city, and north and south (Pt Reyes, Mt Tamalpais, GGNRA)  plus the benefits of great summer weather and a city, if you want it.

dpc3

Personally I would avoid Portland unless you are there to drink Craft Beer. I lived there for 3 years and Forest Park is beautiful but won't be much different from PA. If you want to experience the PacNW I would go down to Bend/Sisters Oregon Area where you have plenty of National Forest to run in and could even head over into SW OR towards the Rogue River Valley and hit Crater Lake.

As for the Desert SW here in NM there is nothing to see here in the summer time. It's hot, dry, and the mountains are always on fire. The Gila, Jemez, Santa Fe, Pecos, and a handful of other National Forest are always closed in the summer. Another area of the SW that you want to avoid is the Mogollon Rim in eastern AZ, that place is a trash heap.

I say go to Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, Colorado or Utah Big grin. Another area to check out is SE B.C. and the Banff area of Canada. Trail running there is amazing from my experience!

I don't think you can wrong in any of the western states if you research and ask around oh and the upper Midwest is beautiful Dontcha know!

Uh oh... now what?

Nope, nothing to see up there.  Yes, that is Canada, those are swarms of mosquitoes and Isle Royale NP rangers do not want you running on their trails (even though they do).  oh, and you can easily spend the day on great tails and swimming in lakes and streams without seeing a soul.  Check with NorthernHarrier to confirm stories of folks getting seriously lost up in those parts...  I would highly recommend the Pacific Northwest instead, regardless of John M's 'recommendations'  Smile

seriously, I don't think you can go wrong pretty much anywhere-- just look for good national and state parks and forests.  And stay away from the big ones during mid-summer (Tetons, Yellowstone, Yosemite).

One of my favorites is the Bay Area-- great trails in the city, and north and south (Pt Reyes, Mt Tamalpais, GGNRA)  plus the benefits of great summer weather and a city, if you want it.

Lowering the bar again, eh...

Ultra Cowboy

From my limited experience I will weigh in with my local area

I propose that you fly to San Francisco and stay

if you are feeling adventurous...

at the Marin Headlands Hostel. 

Run the Marin Headlands Trails  Map

You could even hike/run to Muir Beach then Hitchhike/hike/run to Stinson Beach and run the historic 7 mile Dipsea Trail (backwards to the start in Mill Valley).  If you want to see what it looks like watch the movie On the Edge

or come to Santa Rosa, get a room at the Courtyard or Vineyard inn on Third street, (across from the Fleet Feet store), and hook up with one or more of the Fleet feet employees or customers to explore Annadel State Park. Or the Sonoma Coast . 

Close by between the Headlands and Santa Rosa is Point Reyes Hostel  Good trail south along the coast to Arch rock...Map

Sorry...Lots of Ideas...sift what you will...

WYBMADIITY

Save

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

If money is not an issue you could try a running tour (such as this http://www.adventurerunningco.com/index.html).  I am sure there are others out there too but they are pricey.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

valerienv

Thread killer ..

You could come here and run as much and as far as you want

Oh jeez I knew it was a bad idea to ask this early, because I want to go to all of those places NOW! Aaaand I just got a big fat tax refund check today.... Big grin

Thanks all for the responses. I truly appreciate it!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'd add Montana to the list, almost anything folks hike is runnable (to a degree anyways)- and we have lots of places to hike Big grin  Glacier and Yellowstone are must sees sometime in one's lifetime

not a lot of races, but some really good ones- in some really pretty places- Bridger Ridge Run, Devil's Backbone and a new one- the Rut Run

Grand Canyon R2R2R is very well worth doing- it's absolutely stunning country

there are so many nice places in the US to take in, we are truly blessed as a country

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Always one of my favorite topics around here. I've been lucky to have spent a lot of time travelling the country and have been running since 1981. Lots of cool runs in there but for every run I cross off my list I usually am adding several.  A couple suggestions-

Start compiling a folder of interesting runs now. Of course many races are held on spectacular courses but in many wilderness areas races are not allowed but yet there may be an awesome trail network. I subscribe to Backpacker magazine and they are always listing hiking trails around the country and many of them make great runs. On their website will be a map highlighting many of the featured trails. When I backpacked in S.C. in February I knew I would have a few extra days to goof off so I came up with some nice runs in N.C. and Tn. utilizing their site.

I guess I assume that you probably want to find something a little different that what you run in at home. As has been mentioned northern Mn. is pretty sweet and if you came thru Wi. Mandy and I could certainly show you some cool runs. Personally I'm a little partial to some places in Upper Michigan but then they are real close to my shack. (Porcupine Mts. and Pictured Rocks)

If it's mountains you want, whew, where to begin. My two favorite states are Montana and Wyoming. Very wild, remote country. Co. and Utah have extensive trail systems and lots of active people on the trails. Utah can give you everything from great mountains to desert, canyons, etc.

MtWarden is doing a run in July near Bozeman that in my opinion is one of the most scenic runs I have ever done called Devils Backbone. Watch for his photos and report.  If things work out he and I will be connecting later this summer to do another run out there thru the Beartooth Mts that will be epic. We've both hiked it before but running will be a treat.

John mentioned the Winds and that is simply beautiful. There are a lot of options there but you can start in an area called Big Sandy and have some nice loop options going over the divide twice. Spectacular.

Lastly I would be failing badly if I didn't mention the most classic epic mountain run around in Co. called the Maroon Bells 4 Pass loop. 28 miles of spectacular wilderness.

I guess I could go on and on but that should at least throw some gas on the fire.