Trailer Trash

What are your favorite gels? (Read 68 times)

ceezy

Appreciate the response...still keep going back to the Clif Shot from Running Warehouse.

I would try some others, but at a 24 pack for $25.95, it's the cheapest option.

Think I will go with the Double Espresso again (as I like the caffeine) and a Raspberry?

I also like the thought of the jug type as I could make my own serving size, and really stretch that dollar out, but think I will just stick with the pouch style for now.  Is there a way to just take a shot or two with you?  Like a little refillable pouch or something? Typically run with a handheld...like sticking a gel in the little bottle pocket.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I use GU Peanut Butter, good stuff.

I just got a free big jug of First Endurance Liquid Shot w/ a coupon.  I've used

it twice, 20 and 16 miler, seems to work well but tastes like medicine.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Nice setup, sandy, you are one organized trail runner, 3 setups for 3 loops. Nice.

I guess these... (getting ready for a 3 loop 50 miler.)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I wasn't going to post but....

am I the only one that doesn't like gels? I will use once in a while otherwise I cannot stand them.  Pretty sure it's the consistency not the taste.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

ceezy

Nice setup, sandy, you are one organized trail runner, 3 setups for 3 loops. Nice.

Yes. Smile

Sandy-2

Thanks.  The gels and a little more stuff got crammed into the handheld mesh things.  The bottles are frozen and will be in a cooler at the S/F.  When I go thru I just change out the whole setup each time.  Takes a few seconds.  I may not do all 3 gels on each loop, but it's better to have them along than need one.  There are also aid stations at 5 or 6 mile intervals, so I'll only carry one handheld, but I froze a few extra bottles in case I feel the need to carry two when it gets hot.  Although I always go light, if it's a loop course I put a few extras at the S/F just in case.

I also like to mix up the flavors and brands, just to have some variety.  I do tend to like PowerGels, Hammer and Gu Roctane.

Then again I have had the whole thing go sideways and eat "real food" off the tables.  Just gotta go with whatever is working on the day.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

BenTN

Appreciate the response...still keep going back to the Clif Shot from Running Warehouse.

I would try some others, but at a 24 pack for $25.95, it's the cheapest option.

Think I will go with the Double Espresso again (as I like the caffeine) and a Raspberry?

I also like the thought of the jug type as I could make my own serving size, and really stretch that dollar out, but think I will just stick with the pouch style for now.  Is there a way to just take a shot or two with you?  Like a little refillable pouch or something? Typically run with a handheld...like sticking a gel in the little bottle pocket.

If I only want 2 or 3 oz then I only put that much in the flask.

One really nice thing about the flask on trails....no trash, don't have to worry about dropping those little tabs.

I wasn't going to post but....

am I the only one that doesn't like gels? I will use once in a while otherwise I cannot stand them.  Pretty sure it's the consistency not the taste.

Most gels are sickening sweet to me - to the point where I tasted one then didn't try any for many years. I prefer the simplicity of a sports drink. However, when looking at more efficient ways to deal with using stream water (38mi between trailheads), I thought about using gels. I made gel from sports drink (jury's out on how that worked), but then last year found the Peanut Butter GU, which is actually decent for me. I've only used a couple of them and not in a race yet. It's not really sweet and not fruity.

Most of the time, I'd rather have trail mix or M&M's or shot bloks or whatever.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

That's alot of gels for a 50 miler.  I haven't done a 50 miler yet but started getting into the ultra stuff this year.  Ran my first 50K and just love the mileage and trails.  Anyway, I found that after a certain time out there, I need solid food because I can't do the gels anymore.  And damn, paydays are great on those long runs.