Trailer Trash

Shoe recommendations (Read 48 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Both my pairs of trail running shoes are trashed. I currently run in NB MT1010's, which I have absolutely no issues with other than their durability. They are coming out with a V2 of the 1010's in July, but the original version is so bad durability wise that I am strongly considering jumping ship regardless. Features I like: Low stack height Low heel/toe drop (4 mm or less) Rock plate Wide(ish) toe box At least a 300 mile guaranteed durability (or at least likely) I've done some research but nothing really jumps out at me as something I gotta try. Suggestions?

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

If you like the 1010, just switch over to the MT10. It's a better shoe and I'm getting a ton of miles out of them.
      jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If you like the 1010, just switch over to the MT10. It's a better shoe and I'm getting a ton of miles out of them.

I own a pair of the MT10's, but I bought them at what I now consider a full size too small. I am also a little concerned that they do not have a rock plate...I actually had a stick come through my shoe at midfoot on my last run. Am I putting too much emphasis on the rock plate?

Occasional Runner

I don't know. I don't use shoes with a rock plate but I hear people mentioning their importance quite a bit.
          mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'll add two that have a medium to low drop (4mm-ish), wide toe box and low stack height- Brooks PureGrit 2's and Pearl Izumi N1's- I own both, the N1's have a little more protection than the Grits, but also weight a touch more- sizing I'm a 9.5 in the grits, 10 in the N1's longevity I can't say- I've got 200-ish miles on the Grits and they still look good, only about 100 on the N1's

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dpc3

I am in the puregrit 1's and saucony peregrine and I'm not thrilled with them. I look forward to seeing what folks have to say.
              FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

PureGrit 1's are great, but have terrible traction on wet surfaces, especially rocks and blacktop (I have learned to dread the short stretch across the parking lot at the trailhead when it's wet!). PureGrit 2's are much better, according to warden's report.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

I found the Pure series shoes have a high arch on the instep. I started having problems with my feet after a few runs.
                  jonferg67

Endless trails

I'm in the PureGrit 1's and the toebox is a little too wide for me, good shoe otherwise. Not sure about rockplates, I don't pay attention to that, and I run on some rocky shit. I also use Asics Fuji Racers which are a good shoe but lousy in wet weather and snow. Fuji's have over 400 miles and are fine, PG's have 365 miles. Both have minor tears in the fabric but both soles are doing great.
                    mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I am in the puregrit 1's and saucony peregrine and I'm not thrilled with them. I look forward to seeing what folks have to say.

what don't you like on the Pergrines, I was going to add that to the list for my DW to try thanks

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Holden McGruyen

Your requirements sound just like mine did (other than the 300 mile longevity as I buy probably 2-3 new pairs of shoes per month). I've been a huge fan of the Brooks Pure lineup but lately have been using the Pearl Izumi Trail M2 and now I don't really like using anything else. They don't really advertise their heel drop since it's supposed to be dynamic, but man do they have a good ride. I didn't fully appreciate them until after a few runs when I noticed I could go further than normal before I felt tired or beat up. Whatever their marketing hype, the shoes work.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Have you looked into Altra? Not sure if they have wide toebox or rock plates but I know they are zero drop and some people rave about them.
                          Holden McGruyen

Have you looked into Altra? Not sure if they have wide toebox or rock plates but I know they are zero drop and some people rave about them.

I've had the Altra Lone Peak, Torin, Intuition, and Superior. They've all had a very wide toe box and have been some of the most comfortable shoes I've worn, although the first generation Lone Peak were way too stiff. The Superior, which is their current dedicated minimalist trail shoe, is an extremely comfortable shoe. Their sizes tend to run about a half-size to a full size small though, so keep that in mind when ordering. The Superior did come with a removable rock plate that is basically a plastic full-length insert.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think the altras are a route I may pursue...might have to go the "order 3 sizes return 2 from running warehouse. How about inov8 line?

Occasional Runner

I have several pairs of Inov-8's in my rotation but I mostly use them as a winter shoe because they have extremely aggressive tread. I'll also use them when the trails are muddy. And of course, I always wear them when I do the Tough Mudder.