Trailer Trash

What's your cross training look like? (Read 36 times)

muppy

Here's the deal, after having achilles tendon issues for the summer the doctor put me in a walking boot for the next month.

So I'm trying to go back to the gym and just do some simple weightlifting. What kind of routine do you do, or any other suggestions what I can do while wearing this stupid  boot? Thanks!

XtremeTaper

Oh, that sucks Muppy... I have no real good advice. I've been mostly just running these days and doing a bit of stretching now and then. I need to get back to the gym now for some strength training but I've been injury free all year and haven't lifted since April. I'm afraid I will jinx myself. Is it possible for you to do any cardio (like bike) or something to get your heart rate up? I think that would help when you are able to come back.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Dang, sux. Good luck for a quick healing.

My own cross training simply does not exist. When I'm injured, it often does not allow for exercise, so I usually go on a break (e.g. for my pneumonia, or broken elbow) and then start up again.

Maybe you are allowed to swim?

If not, I'd try to do the stationary bike (if doctor approved), or some upper body and core workout. Your legs will recover quickly again after a break, but it is hard and important to keep up your cardio to some extent. That will also make it easier to work your way back again.

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

Well I am a serious cross training junkie and over the last 4-5 years was laid up twice with solid hip injuries. My injuries did not allow for any kind of workouts and both times were a lot longer than a month. It sucks but you will survive and really not lose much fitness at all. I just viewed it as a challenge to regain what I once had.    I was allowed to swim but simply didn't want to risk trying to get around the wet floors around the pool and shower area as a cripple.  I just relaxed and time went pretty fast. I suggest beer and netflix.

My main suggestion after a layoff is to take the restart slowly. Too many try the restart too hard and fast and end up with a new injury.

Good luck and be patient if you can.

Daydreamer1

I would work on upper body strength, core strength as well as flexibility.  If the Doc and the boot would allow it I'd put in a bunch of time on the bike trainer.  My gym has a recumbent style bike with both pedals and hand cranks. I enjoy getting on that and just using the hand cranks. Builds upper body strength.  Also wondering if you could use a rowing machine.

muppy

Thanks for the advice everyone! I don't think I'd be allowed to use a bike yet, the rowing machine was a great idea, my gym doesn't have one, but maybe I could join another gym for a month or two that does.

Losing my cardio fitness is my biggest concern since I've only run probably100 miles since June. As they say this too shall pass!

AT-runner

Tim

Wow, sorry to hear, Mark.  How is working with that boot?

Can't add much more.  Most of my cross training is yard/farm work.  I do ride the bike, but not as much as in the past.

I would think working on your core and doing rowing / stationary bike would be best fit.  Good luck!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Well that's a bummer.  I don't do any lifting or steady cross training so I can't help.

Not sure it is doable for you with the Achilles problem like you said above, but when I broke my shoulder a few years ago I kept my legs, and I guess my lungs, in shape by renting a really nice recumbent bike.  It was only about $30 per month (which included delivery and pickup) and looked really nice sitting in the middle of our living room.  But I was able to keep in good enough shape to pace a friend the last 20 miles at Western States, which was about 2+ months after the break.

Good luck and I hope you heel up soon....  get it?  heel up....  ha ha ha.

tbd.