Trailer Trash

Vermont 100 RR- 2 Down, 2 To Go (Read 45 times)

Occasional Runner

I don't really understand when people talk about the "views" at Vermont. If you run the first 3 miles of the course, you've pretty much seen all it has to offer. I've lived on both coasts and I've run a lot of 100's back east, and it's just not the same, unfortunately. Vermont simply doesn't stack up to the rest of the Grand Slam races in any way. Of course...that's just my opinion.

Western States Has Views...

Leadville Has Views...

Wasatch Has Views...

XtremeTaper

Those Leadvillers seem to have a nice view of their feet. LOL.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

cowboyjunkie

I've never seen the first three miles of the Vermont course since it's still dark at 4 a.m.

All in the eye of the beholder. Wonderful views in the sound of music hills--this year spooky and shrouded in fog. Read a race report this morning with a nice shot of the view at the highest point of the course--Margaritaville--the guy thought the course was beautiful. I like the stone walls lining broad pastures, the barns etc. the horses, cows, corn fields..

I will agree WS is beautifuller especially high country.

Watoni

Well done, Lace!

On Vermont, what baffles me is that there are great trails with steep climbs in the state ... maybe they cannot be linked together well? Why not create a mountain hundred in VT?

Wow I had no idea Vermont was so...boring! Good job pushing through and moving on to the next Grand Slam race.

When I ran the Vermont 50k I remember a LOT of dirt roads and they did mention that a portion of the course followed the 100 mile course. However, at least the 50k also had a bunch of single track!  There were some pretty vistas in the 50k as well. If the humidity wasn't enough to steer me away from VT100, the terrain definitely rules it out for me. Something about dirt roads just crushes me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Woohoo, Kelly, well, you got it done for a good cause. Congratulations!

When I was talking to a guy from our running club about his 100's, and asked him about VT100, he did not say much. Strongly recommended the Massanutten instead. I am glad I followed his advice!

I don't mind running on dirt roads if that's what I have signed up for. E.g., I really like the Tusssey Mountainback 50, but there I know it's going to be dirt roads, and if that's what I want to do, then I'm having fun doing it. But not at a "trail" race.

Stone Mill had some dirt roads, too, and a (short) stretch on the C&O Canal Towpath, but it did not make up a big part of the course, so it was somewhat ok.

I still prefer "real" trails, spelled "technical", or at least a natural surface.

Hope you'll recover quickly, mentally!

Run for fun.