Trailer Trash

Finally Friday (Read 15 times)

runtraildc

Even without a 9 to 5 schedule, this has been a loooong week. Yesterday ended up a yoga day, which was much needed since my hamstring was acting up. Today it's already incredibly humid and almost 80 so I'm heading to the gym in a few.

qotd: Weekend plans? I'm running a low key 8k race in the morning. My carpool's average age (not including me) is 75 and one guy has parkinson's. I can get all impressed at you ultra runners, but running with Parkinson's? That's another league entirely. Apparently helps to keep his symptoms in check.  Then a BBQ with the neighbors and Sunday is probably chore day. We're heading out of town again and we need to catch up on a few things. Not terribly exciting.

Daydreamer1

Going to catch a short nap then maybe a 5-6 mile run. Partly depends on the weather and how I feel overall.  If My leg is hurting I might just do an elliptical session since that has less up and down impact on the spine.

I was just reading an article in irunfar.com about how you may have pain in your feet but actually have a nerve injury.  http://www.irunfar.com/2017/08/six-signs-that-your-running-injury-is-nerve-pain.html  It's a good article and I know it's true stuff because when my back is out of sorts I never feel anything there, it starts below the knee and is mostly in my feet first.  Might get some pain in the hip area but never in the back.

DC - Dang you're old, I thought you were one of the young'uns here .  How old is the oldest?  That's great to hear that he's still plugging away. I love being around older people like that, the ones that just won't quit. I see the few that there are like that and then I see the ones that I take care of who are in their 50s and 60s and act like they can't walk anymore and really have nothing wrong with them.

QOTD:  Some running, maybe, some biking and a lot of work around the house. I'm trying to clean up my woods and get rid of the noxious weeds and diseased trees. That will mean a lot of cutting wood, piling the  branches and small stuff up to be chipped later and cleaning up some old pressure treated lumber and hauling that to the dumpster.  Just put a new chain on my chain saw several days ago and was cutting a stump off close to the ground and hit a large rock on the other side of the tree that I didn't see . That will take me a good bit of time to sharpen that up.

LB2

I just ran an easy 2 miles this morning to tie up some loose ends on mileage I didn't get. It should have been a rest day. Humidity is not quite as bad as it was early in the week and late last week. Either it is down or I am accustomed to it. I don't know.

QOTD: I have a 5 to 6 hour run in the morning, 25 to 30 miles. I'll just count 3 mile loops until I hit 5.5 hours and see if I do another one. It really depends on what time I start, 2 AM will be 6 hours. 4 AM will be 5 hours.

LB2

runtraildc

'not including me', but then again, I turn 50 in a week . Both of these guys are in their 70s and one is very competitive in his age group. I hope to still be running just as strong in 25 years. If I can't, plan B is to take up masters swimming.

DC - Dang you're old, I thought you were one of the young'uns here .  How old is the oldest?  That's great to hear that he's still plugging away. I love being around older people like that, the ones that just won't quit. I see the few that there are like that and then I see the ones that I take care of who are in their 50s and 60s and act like they can't walk anymore and really have nothing wrong with them. 

AT-runner

Tim

No run today.  Not sure what distance I'll try tomorrow. Might see about adding in some more hills and see how the knee reacts.

DC - That's great for the Parkinson's guy.  At our 24 hr race, there is a 65 yo guy who had a traumatic brain injury many years ago. He runs with a jogging stroller.  He can't walk a straight line without it, but gets around well using the stroller.  He usually gets 70 miles or so.  I love talking to him. My dream is to still be running into my 70's +

DD - pretty close to being a really good article.  What article needs to add is if pain crosses more than 1 joint, it's neurogenic and when it involves more than 1 muscle group it could be neurogenic.  Is see that all the time when people tell me they think they pulled a muscle or have tendinitis.  When they describe it,  they say it hurts from above the knee to below the ankle.  I tell them only 1 thing can cause that.

LB - have a nice run.  3 mile loops. Only a really crazy person would run around in circles for hours. Oh wait, never mind. 

QOTD:  DD#2 is playing a set tonight at a winery.  They also sell craft beer, so we're going.  Some more work on our addition and watch some of the Little League World Series.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

LB - have a nice run.  3 mile loops. Only a really crazy person would run around in circles for hours. Oh wait, never mind. 

I really hate loops, too. Music helps.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I really hate loops, too. Music helps.

What's on your playlist for 5+ hours?

Sandy-2

I'll run 5 mi after work today.  More 'perfect running weather' on tap.

qotd: The schedule says 15 Sat / 10 Sun which is sort of a cutback weekend now.  I've taken over one of our upstairs bedrooms as a stretching/core exercise room. I also have a few dumbbells and a bench my DS left in there, plus a little radio.  I've been told I have to make it look nice. I plan to hang up some run posters that I have, Boston Marathon, Houston Marathon, Leadville, etc. for inspiration.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Races this year:
                    D3 50K on a 400m loop
                    Montour 12-Hour on a 1.5 mile loop
                    Run Til You Drop 5-Hour on a 1.0 mile loop
                    NC 24 on a .88185 mile loop
                    Piedmont 8-Hour on a 2.85 mile loop

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Races this year:
                      D3 50K on a 400m loop
                      Montour 12-Hour on a 1.5 mile loop
                      Run Til You Drop 5-Hour on a 1.0 mile loop
                      NC 24 on a .88185 mile loop
                      Piedmont 8-Hour on a 2.85 mile loop

Yes, you are part of our crazy group. You may even be King.

If you told me 8 years ago that my go-to race each year would be a 24hr (now a 48hr) on a 1.547 mile loops, I would have said you're nuts.

We used to do Labor Pains every year, but that 5 mile loop didn't seem so bad.

Daydreamer1

'not including me', but then again, I turn 50 in a week .

Happy early Birthday!!!!  50????   I guess I was wrong, Somehow I had you in the 35 to 40 range . Just remember that life begins at 50.

AT-runner

Tim

Good luck Queenie on your second 50k Training run. Hope you have a blast back home.

Any other Racers and Pacers out there this weekend?

Warden and NH's bromance weekend doesn't count.