Trailer Trash

Western States Weekender (Read 24 times)

Sandy-2

Slept in this morning since I’ll be up all night this evening.  Looking forward to the nighttime run with the kiddos. Even baught a new 300 lumin BD Spot for the occasion. Actually I just wanted a new one but used the excuse that my DS needed the headlamp as the excuse. 

mt, hope your night run went well.

qotd: Following Western States? We know Gatsby is...  Any Predictions on the winners?

Im hoping Walmsley will get it done, but D’haene will be right there too.  I’m also hoping Lickteig will get the win but Dauwter looks good.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Wet but fun run today with DW on mix of At and some isolated trails.  DW is always amazed at how i find these little gems.  One of the ones we were on today climbed 900" in around 2 miles through lush ferns ans overgrown trees.  It's a seldom used MTB trail that I found on an map from a 2008 race that the held in the area.  It doesn't get much use now, and I love trails like this.  Ended up over 10 miles in just around 2 hours. Pretty good time for me since we had a long climb.  2 good runs in a row.  Hell yea!

QOTD:  I know 5 people in the race and have a feed up following.  I think Walmsley will win men's, and I'm pulling for Courtney Dauwalter in the women's.  She's a beast in 24hr events and is getting into 100's now.  When she gets some more mountain experience, I think she'll be unstoppable.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Finishing up a week out west with a mountain race in the Wasatch range. 17 miles of technical and steep trail with altitude thrown in. I feel very old. I finished in a smidgen over 5 hours and it was upper 80's at the finish line. There was a long stretch on top where the going was slow with a lot of hands, knees, and butt being used crawling and navigating over the crags. Pretty cool actually but it did a number on this flatlander. I ran/hiked up Mt. Timpanogas on Wed for my altitude acclimation. About 14 miles total with a lot more exposure than I am comfortable with. Pretty epic stuff.

QOTD- Don't follow elites or races.

GC100k

Outdoor swim meet this morning in the rain, but not raining real hard. My wife and I are about to head out for a ~2 hour run.

I do follow Western States via the iRunFar twitter. Walmsly apparently looks real good and is on record pace. D'haune, who I picked to win, is in second. I think it'd be a better story if Walmsly blows up again, but I'm hoping he keeps it rolling. Courtney is in 2nd but moving up and looking good.

btw, why are a lot of them wearing arm warmers when it's 100 degrees?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

NH- good to hear you're getting whipped into shape for CO! 

my night run went pretty well, especially considering my running volume has been poor at best; conditions were nice- 70 degrees at the start (8:00 PM)- upper 40's by morning.  I managed to get three full loops in (36 miles) by 5:30 AM- at that point, even with 2.5 hours left I couldn't muster enough energy to eek out even the smaller 4 mile loop- I was literally like the walking dead.

qotd: not following, but always enjoy the post race write-ups- always some good drama on a 100 mile race; how these guys and gals can run 100 miles in stifling heat seems super human to me

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Did 4 miles with DW.   It appeared that it was going to rain but it didn't. She hates riding in the rain otherwise we would have went for a nice bike ride.

QOTD: Not really. If it wasn't for this post I probably would have forgot about it.

GC - I'm wondering if they are sun sleeves. Been looking into getting some of those myself. Some people think they are better then sunscreen.

XtremeTaper

About 6 miles on the Mason Dixon trail yesterday from lock12, up past waterfalls, down the steep hill taking in the damn near lock12 and the Susquehanna river. Then out along the river through, back up along another stream and through the rhododendron thickets (in bloom). Very scenic run but the terrain was tough and made me feel old. Use to fly through this stuff. Great day yesterday for the MDLD runners. Cloudy cool with some light rain. Short hike or jog on tap today at the most.

QOTD: I did not follow this year.

GC - The arm panties are also useful to protect one from Dangerous UV Rays!

AT - Good news on the feeling better.

Warden - Congrats on your 50k++ run.

NH - I hear you on the old part (see above post) but you are still out there so there is that.

Sandy - Nice lumens! Hope you had a good night run.

DD - Rain really did not materialize too much yesterday. We had one short steady shower while working our aid station. I was happy for the runners at our race (and a bit jealous).

In dog beers, I've only had one.

moonlightrunner

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13-5a_PJkmB92cLtsfd0TDT784bg5fpFS/view

Ok....once again, technology defeats me....it was pretty cool.

Nice run yesterday. It was cool and very humid. The cool weather did not deter the hoards of hungry mosquitoes that descended at every opportunity pause or slowing of pace. They whispered not-so-sweet nothings in my ear, taunting my slow pace as I ran through the thick air. An occasional contingent of deer flies buzzed my head, but cloudy skies seemed to lessen their usual tenacity.

I did find a friend I have never seen on the trail before (see image link above).  I also saw a turkey hen with her brood and cross the trail. I was surprised that such small chicks could fly.

I did make a sad discovery. The old woman lost one of her massive arms. It was not a living arm, but I fear the wound may hasten her inevitable demise.

Harrier: your adventure sounds awesome. That is an amazing accomplishment.

At: I think it is so nice that you and your wife share trail running. Sometimes I think sharing these experiences on the trail would make it richer.

Today, I will run late, and hope to conquer my Eliptigo. I might need training wheels!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LNkIGJQBtN99akwdmE0BC__RV97KCsU6/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eRIqro6p07wiN_ZhBSpOn7L_eM5Aqu3t/view?usp=drivesdk

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Not feeling like a run today but may go for a walk later tonight.  One of those tired days, but hey, go 2 good runs in a row, so I'll take what I can get.

Watched the finish of WS. Corey Reese (he used to post in RWOL) was the 2nd to last finisher.  4 friends finished and one DNF'd at 43.3 and said the heat did her in.  She said it got up to 102 degrees.  

Hope Gatsby got some rest at her AS. She got to see some big gaps in both the men's and women's by the time Jim and Courtney got to her.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Heat and sun were issues for me as well. Racked up another DNF at Rundle's Revenge 25K. Completed the first loop in about 2:45, realized and acknowledged that a second loop could take me close to 4 hours even assuming I could make the 450 ft climb at the beginning of it. I was moving at close to 29:30 pace as I finished the first loop.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

A good weekend at ALT, my aid station at Western States.  Hot temps and expected lots of carnage, but no!  No runners dropped and no one missed the cut-off there!  I think it was about 80% finish rate.  Walmsley came in about 20 minutes ahead of record pace looking fresh as a daisy.  D'haene was almost an hour behind.  No course record for the women but I was excited to see Courtney Dauwalter in front.  Things started to pick up a bit later, with the usual rush between midnight and 1 am (runners going for sub-24), then some ebb and flow of runners, and then another rush as our 7:15 am cut off approached.  I always try to grab a nap and generally don't succeed.  But it helped a lot just to lie down in the back of our van for an hour at 3 am and rest a bit.  Everyone I knew in the race (whether running or pacing) got to the finish line!  I have great team at ALT, my 7th year doing this.  Now I'm partly pooped, partly wired.

Not much running for me this week, 24.5 miles.  Hoping for some good running juju just from being around great runners this weekend (does it work that way? osmosis?).

QOTD: Yes.  

This was at about 8 pm.  Not too long after Courtney Dauwalter came through.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

XtremeTaper

Gatsby - Well done with the AS. Sounds like a big responsibility being captain! I crewed out there once (never got picked to run despite half dozen or more entries). Much different than crewing at other races. Seems like the aid stations were fairly locked down but also well manned and organized. Favorite part of my crew time was hiking down to Green Gate and the river crossing. Manning those late aid stations is hard work. I've done it a few times at MMT and it's practically a 24 hour day.

In dog beers, I've only had one.