Trailer Trash

Getting ready for my TM 50K + (Read 57 times)

runtraildc

Congrats!  Anything  more than one hour on a treadmill boggles my mind, let alone 8. Good to hear it went well, despite the coke effects.  I guess the benefit of the gym is that a bathroom was always nearby.

LB2

The weird thing about aid stations in races is that sometimes five minutes seems like 45 minutes, and 30 minutes sometimes seems like 5 minutes.  I think lots of people underestimate how quickly time can get away from you at an aid station. This has been drilled into my head by more than one person: "Walking down the trail while eating is a whole lot faster than standing around socializing!!! Keep moving forward."

I would have a tough time doing that much time on a treadmill. But I imagine it built some mental toughness that will help you in the race.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job.  And yes, you are nuts!

+1 to AS time management.  Some of the best advice I ever got was "grab and go".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job...did you switch machines or do it on the same machine?  Seems like it would of been hard on the equipment.  Did the one guy working that night come around to cheer you on...or were you ignored?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TripleBock

?  TM is a great place ... I have done 30-50+ miles many times on TM.  More enjoyable on a real trail, but it should be easier on TM.

Overall a good experience and I know I will not be in aid stations that long in the actual race.

I also think those 32 miles would have been "easier" on a real trail!

I NEVER want to do that many miles on a TM again!

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

Maybe that is what that guy at the "Y" used to complain that I was abusing the equipment ... shouldn't club models take 8 hours straight

Nice job...did you switch machines or do it on the same machine?  Seems like it would of been hard on the equipment.  Did the one guy working that night come around to cheer you on...or were you ignored?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

charlesmoman

I did talk to one or two of the young guys doing weights.

During one of my AS breaks, I told him how many hours I was doing.

He just looked at me incredulously and asked "but why?".

I said I had a 100-miler coming up in April - he said again "but why?" with more disbelief in his voice.

I said it was because I needed my head examined!

He then went back to lifting and told his buddy about my plan and he just looked at me and shook his head.

Fun moment.

I did use the same TM, but they are made to be run by lots of people.

Plus I took a break after 4-5 miles anyway.

I just started drinking the coke way too early.

At ultras I hold off on pop for a long time.

I watched "In the High Country" and ran along with Tony Krupicka - we even had the same buff on!

But my hair is much shorter! : )

I think it would be easier on a trail because of the terrain letting your feet and ankle have some changes of angle and placement.

I never have knee trouble, but my right knee was a little sore because of the continual repetition. It is fine today.

Heading to the gym soon to work on the machine and maybe do a light 3-miler jog and a walk.

A year ago I would have been too sore - I know my fitness is so much better this time.

I really did not knock myself out yesterday and did more walking than I normally do.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes sir! Hey, you got er done! Good job. Now go find some trails.  They are calling your name.

I NEVER want to do that many miles on a TM again!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday