Trailer Trash

Good Adventure Books? (Read 263 times)

sugnim

I just finished the book I was reading (Running For My Life by Lopez Lomong) and I'm looking for something new to start.  I prefer to read things that are exciting with elements of nature, adventure, or the like.  Although I have a degree in Literature, I'm completely bored by fiction.  Got any suggestions?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I really enjoyed Blind Descent by James M. Tabor, and also

Beyond The Deep by William Stone, which is in part about the same caving expeditions described in Blind Descent (but describes them in more detail). Blind Descent mentions more caving expeditions in different countries, not just expeditions led by a particular researcher.

Run for fun.

Ultra Cowboy

You may have already read it, but this is on my list to read:

Wild (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2012: At age 26, following the death of her mother, divorce, and a run of reckless behavior, Cheryl Strayed found herself alone near the foot of the Pacific Crest Trail--inexperienced, over-equipped, and desperate to reclaim her life. Wild tracks Strayed's personal journey on the PCT through California and Oregon, as she comes to terms with devastating loss and her unpredictable reactions to it. While readers looking for adventure or a naturalist's perspective may be distracted by the emotional odyssey at the core of the story, Wild vividly describes the grueling life of the long-distance hiker, the ubiquitous perils of the PCT, and its peculiar community of wanderers. Others may find her unsympathetic--just one victim of her own questionable choices. But Strayed doesn't want sympathy, and her confident prose stands on its own, deftly pulling both threads into a story that inhabits a unique riparian zone between wilderness tale and personal-redemption memoir. --Jon Foro

WYBMADIITY

Save

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I haven't started it yet, but JohnM (:floating hearts: ) mailed me a few books earlier this week.  One of them is Woodswoman by Anne LaBastille.  It looks really interesting.

Rocky, I've been meaning to read that one too!

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

Thank you Mandy...

sugnim, if any of these are of interest, I can list more.  What does a "degree in Literature"

mean?  Where from?  Any specialty area?

"The Big Burn" Timothy Egan -- really big forest fire (your general area)

"Fire and Brimstone: The North Butte Mining Disaster of 1917" Michael Punke

"Still Alice" Lucy Genova --fiction
            "Meditations from the Breakdown Lane: Running Across America" James E. Shapiro
            "The Death Valley 300" Richard Benyo
            "Feet in the Clouds: A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession" Richard Askwith

"The Dovekeepers" Alice Hoffman

"As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me" Josef M. Bauer
            "The Long Walk" Slavomir Rawicz

and my special plug for this year:

"East to the Grotto on the River Gave" Kathleen Morelock

Or.... I (we) might get something about our 600ish miles of wandering across Spain done later this year.

Ultra Cowboy

Sug-  Being a Western Montanan , ain't you required to have the full collection of Norman Maclean writings?  I have not been able to get through Young Men and Fire yet.  It is kinda like a smoke jumpers version of the Little Bighorn.  True Story

One Man's wilderness by Sam Kieth chronicles Richard Proenneke's journal as he build and overwintered in Alaska.  True Story.

One of these years I am going to memorize the Call of the Wild by Robert Service.  I have his collection I'll peruse by the fire occasionally.  Based on real events he experienced but in rhyme and romanticized.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Reading THE LONGEST RACE  by Ed Ayres bout his JFK50 and ultra running.

Done with A Few Degrees from Hell - 2003 Badwater Ultra, Running on Empty Marshall Ulrich Run Across America and will be starting 14 Minutes by Alberto Salazar soon.

sugnim

Mandy--I actually have Woodswoman on my shelf, but haven't read it.  Maybe I'll take it down.

JohnM.--Great list--thanks!  Also, (to me at least) a degree in Literature means that a naive kid went to college thinking that a bachelor's degree was a necessary thing in life.  She then took the advice of the guidance counselor when choosing a major, and tens of thousands of dollars in debt later, her education bestowed her with the knowledge that it was all a big waste.

Rocky--I live in Missoula & don't even own what is referred to here as "The Book," Maclean's A River Runs Through It!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I will definitely be reading a few of these!

John thanks for the list and just did a download on your sweeties book, nice reviews from other readers

"Ms. Morelock has written a gripping novel that I couldn't put down"

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also, (to me at least) a degree in Literature means that a naive kid went to college thinking that a bachelor's degree was a necessary thing in life.  She then took the advice of the guidance counselor when choosing a major, and tens of thousands of dollars in debt later, her education bestowed her with the knowledge that it was all a big waste.

Gee, that sounds *really* familiar.  Too familiar.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

John M.--Great list--thanks!  Also, (to me at least) a degree in Literature means that a naive kid went to college thinking that a bachelor's degree was a necessary thing in life.  She then took the advice of the guidance counselor when choosing a major, and tens of thousands of dollars in debt later, her education bestowed her with the knowledge that it was all a big waste. 

Ah yes, the education versus job training thing.  You have an education (liberal arts field) and unfortunately, in this country, it is not a marketable degree.  In North Dakota we were surrounded by (besides Indians) very bright young people with degrees in religion, philosophy, theology... thinking stuff--nothing marketable, but they gave many evenings of wonderful conversations.  My immediate supervisor has a BA in English, an MA in writing, and a PhD in comparative literature.  Don't ever downplay your education--thinking is way underrated in this country.

Uh oh... now what?

John thanks for the list and just did a download on your sweeties book, nice reviews from other readers

"Ms. Morelock has written a gripping novel that I couldn't put down"

Yay!  Thank you.  She writes, I scribble.

nc tam

Non-fiction, adventure...

I tend to read history...

Endurance, about the Shackleton expedition. I like the version I have at home the best.  I'll have to get the author when I get home.

Undaunted Courage by Ambrose

The Terrible Hours by Maas.  His retelling of the sinking of the Squalus (right around WWII, I think) and the rescue of the survivors.  I happened to be reading this when the Kursk was lost.

I just finished the John Adams bio by McCullough. Interesting read.  I like McCullogh's writing style.

For adventure of a different sort... The American Plague by Crosby about the yellow fever epidemic in the 1790s and the people who linked the disease to mosquitos.  Amazing what the researchers did to get their answers and how close they got to the causative agent (a virus) given the available technology.  There are other books about this, perhaps better, but I haven't read them.

ETA:  Endurance by Lansing.  I have a few other books about the expedition that have Endurance in the title but the Lansing book is the classic tale, I believe.

sugnim

Thanks, nc tam.  History is full of adventure.

True story: The Ambrose book you mentioned was one of the reasons I moved to Montana.  The other reasons are: A Belle & Sebastian song, a sandwich in East Glacier, and a dirty underground hallway that leads to the subway (BART) station in Daly City, CA.

Trail Monster

I second "Wild". It was a gritty and somewhat horrifying read but it really was good.

I just finished "To The Edge" about running Badwater. Lisa Tamati's "Running Hot" is good too. Chrissy Wellington's "A Life Without Limits" is a good read so far if you like triathlon. I also started "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll last night. Matt Long's "The Long Run". I'll check out my collection and post more when I get a minute.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop