Trailer Trash

NB MT1010-anyone use em? (Read 320 times)

Shakedown Street

Been in Brooks Cascadia. The support feature is killing me on the outside of the foot in the PT area. I can walk all day in the shoes, but anything more than a mile and viola...instant dull pain.

So, I am looking at these. Any other suggestions?

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Occasional Runner

I wear the MT10, which are similar and I love them. I know a lot of the folks in here have experience with 1010's though.

The 1010 and the 10 are advertised as the same weight, but the 1010's look like they have more cushioning. 

I wore the Cascadia as my first trail shoe and I never felt comfortable in them. They're too clunky and stiff for my taste. I've really enjoyed the NB shoes though.

Chasing the bus

I SO want these. Probably my second to next shoes (I'm gonna pick up a pair of lone peaks soon, need winter shes first).  I've been wearing road zeros for a couple of months, and the 1010's I tried on felt similar, even with the rock plate, but that was in the store. I need them in a 2E, though, which is usually special order.

My local running store has been telling me the NB rep was discouraging them from stocking it. he says its not a very good shoe...I dunno nuthin 'bout that except that they fit my feet like most NB's, which is good, and I love the road zero's.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I wear these and really like them.  I wouldn't recommend them for a road/trail mix shoe because they aren't great on the road.  They are plenty grippy on the trail, very light weight, no wetness issues (got a nice snow run out of them).  I generally run in VFFs, but these are great for areas where you need some extra protection.  I've only got about 50 miles on them, so I can't speak to their durability, but so far so good. 

**Ask me about streaking**

Shakedown Street

I SO want these. Probably my second to next shoes (I'm gonna pick up a pair of lone peaks soon, need winter shes first).  I've been wearing road zeros for a couple of months, and the 1010's I tried on felt similar, even with the rock plate, but that was in the store. I need them in a 2E, though, which is usually special order.

My local running store has been telling me the NB rep was discouraging them from stocking it. he says its not a very good shoe...I dunno nuthin 'bout that except that they fit my feet like most NB's, which is good, and I love the road zero's.

I am a 2e person as well...

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

I just ran my first 50 a few weeks ago and only started trail running last month and these were my shoes. I absolutely love them.

For my road running I run in minimal shoes usually with a 4mm drop and that's what the 1010s have. Along with a thin plastic rock plate and an ideal amount of cushioning (similar to the brooks pure series as reference) they made for a great trail shoe. I run on PA trails so tons of rocks and mud and they are super grippy.

I also have a pair of the MT10s like lace and those are nice too. They have less cushioning so consider your experience/time in minimal shoes before purchasing.

I've read great reviews about the Inov-8 Trailroc 255. They are lightweight with a 6mm drop and good cushioning. That might be a good place to transition to minimal footwear before going to a 4mm with less cushion.

Good luck...you have plenty of excellent choices.

Occasional Runner

I've read great reviews about the Inov-8 Trailroc 255. They are lightweight with a 6mm drop and good cushioning. That might be a good place to transition to minimal footwear before going to a 4mm with less cushion.

Good luck...you have plenty of excellent choices.

I have the Inov-8 Trailroc too but it's really clunky compared to the NB MT10 or 1010. I use them for the really mucky, rocky trails because they handle the mud better and provide more protection against rocks.

FurShirtFlyer

I have a pair of the 1010s. I really like them. They have good cushioning, the right amount of drop, are lightweight, rockplate. I have only two cons for them. I don't like the laces. They are regular flat laces and they tend to come loose over the course of a long run. I wish they would use the bubble laces like the MT101.

The second issue I have with them is quality. I only have 100 miles on my pair. I ran the Virgil Crest 50 miler in them. They worked great for me on that course. Just the right amount of protection. I had very little issues with blisters. But...I discovered after the run that circle tread on the outside-rear of the left foot delaminated during the run. It is not completed severed and I will be able to fix it with some shoe-goo. I know that some of the first generation production runs had this issue. I don't think mine is part of that first generation. So I am not sure if NB are still having some quallity issues. Or if it is related to the fact that the course had some steep descents (black diamond ski slopes - straight down). I'm torn (pun not intended) about them because I like them otherwise.

Irunfar has a good review of the MT1010s, if you haven't already read it.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/new-balance-mt1010-review.html

I'm now waiting for the NB Leadvilles to come out.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/best-trail-running-shoes-of-outdoor-retailer-summer-2012.html#New_Balance_Leadville_MT1210

LB2

I tried those 1010's on, and I found them very comfortable, as I do with most New Balance shoes. However, I chose to go with a pair of Saucony Peregrine 2's, which I really like. Typically, and I have no reason that I can explain, I don't like shoes with an exposed rock plate. It may just be some quirk that I have, which has no merit whatsoever. Also, I felt like they left a little bit to be desired in the arch for a 100 miler, a little light overall for me at that distance. Nevertheless, I am seriously considering getting a pair and putting some miles on them.

LB2

Dubuquer

I confess to having no experience with the 1010 or the 110.  But, several friends have tried them both and the general consensus is that the 110 is a pretty great shoe if it fits and that the 1010 is pretty great... until it falls apart.  Apparently there are some serious durability issues with the 1010 and a few others here have noted that as well.

Shakedown Street

I ended up with some Montrail Rogue Flys after a brief visit to the LRS. Still have the 1010s on the xmas list. Have not ran in them yet (sunday), but I liked the simplicity of them....

FWIW, I tried on a pair of S-Lab....wtf...not for me....very very narrow and long

Now what do I do with some barely worn Cascadias in 12.5?

BenTN

I confess to having no experience with the 1010 or the 110.  But, several friends have tried them both and the general consensus is that the 110 is a pretty great shoe if it fits and that the 1010 is pretty great... until it falls apart.  Apparently there are some serious durability issues with the 1010 and a few others here have noted that as well.

I've not tried the 1010's but have experienced serious durability issues with the 110.

After only two runs (GA Jewel 35M & Cumberland Trail 50K) the soft (mid sole material) knobs are almost smooth, some delamination of the harder out sole on the heel and a significant cut in the upper. 

I've tried gluing the heel and duct taping the cut but wonder how long it will hold up.

I also run in MT10's and like them but have not had the courage to take them long.

Shakedown Street

FYI....Nordstrom has these on sale at retail in Tx for under 50 bucks. Dunno about online. Picked up a pair for the hell of it.

Snizzle

FYI....Nordstrom has these on sale at retail in Tx for under 50 bucks. Dunno about online. Picked up a pair for the hell of it.

These?

Shakedown Street