Trailer Trash

The Barkley Marathons (Read 80 times)

DigDug2

Anyone heard of or run this one?  Sounds amusing, although the focus seems to be more about the eccentric RD than the race itself...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/sports/the-barkley-marathons-few-know-how-to-enter-fewer-finish.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Occasional Runner

It's beyond ridiculous. I don't know what people see in races like this and I can't bring myself to take it seriously. In my mind, it's the ultra equivalent to the Warrior Dash. Long on games, short on credibility.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I definitely want to see that documentary  (but I'm not tempted to try and figure out how to enter).  A race that is designed to make you fail...brutal.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Oh yes I have been "eyeing" this event up for a couple years.  Not to actually enter myself but just because it's intriguing, weird, ridiculous, beyond sadistic. I question how much running is actually going on.  Not sure there can be much with the terrain they use.

David Horton, someone I respect very much, has finished so because of that it does intrigue me.

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Oh snap - just saw this on the website: "In 2012, there were 3 finishers for the first time. Brett Maune in 52:03:08 (new course record), Jared Campbell in 56:00:15, and John Fegyveresi in 59:41:21. Course adds Checkmate Hill (1300 ft in 1/2 mile)."

1300ft in 1/2 mile .....huh?Isn't that called rock climbing?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

Whoops...I actually thought I was going to get some work done today, but apparently I have some reading to do Wink

**Ask me about streaking**

XtremeTaper

Sure, I've heard of this. I actually know someone who nearly completed the fun run. He finished 2 loops, started the 3rd but knew he would miss the cutoff so headed back eventually. I have no desire to do Barkley, but would not call it ridiculous. It's more of a hiking navigational endurance challenge I think. Probably some running too at points. The RD has a couple of other interesting events that I've read about including the Vol State and Big's Backyard Ultra. Really when you think about it running 100 miles is pretty stupid in and of itself so this is just an extension of that.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Uh oh... now what?

The early reports (UltraRunning) and the history of the Barkley (used to be "The Barkley Marathons", don't recall the year that title went away) made it an interesting challenge.  The James Earl Ray part, no course, seemingly nonmountainous terrain, and so on--all flew in the face of a time with most ultras were on roads or tracks.

Things evolved from the original 50-mile event to today's Barkley--mix of orientering and survival meandering and other stuff.  It probably generates more e-mail traffic on the 'list than any other event each year.

Many go for the "I've been there" bit, try for one lap (20 miles), a few are seriously trying for the "fun run" (three laps, 60 miles, 24-hour time limit?), and an even fewer are there to try to cover one-hundred miles of Tennessee wilderness.

It falls high on the "not really running" scale of things, but the challenge to keep going is real.  I love running in open country where I can see for miles and miles, but have paused a time or two to recall bushwhacking in Arkansas or Missouri and feeling totally isolated because of the often limited sight distance and other physical challenges.

Think of the sort of opposite extreme:  a six-day running event on a 220-yard indoor track.

rgot

My husband wants to run this; I think he's totally crazy.  Last year a photographer took before & after pics of several of the runners and it reminds me of the "Faces of Meth" billboard campaign they had in Portland:

http://www.geoffreybakerphotography.com/?page_id=1719

Uh oh... now what?

My husband wants to run this; I think he's totally crazy.  Last year a photographer took before & after pics of several of the runners and it reminds me of the "Faces of Meth" billboard campaign they had in Portland:

http://www.geoffreybakerphotography.com/?page_id=1719

You could help with the chicken?

"When this reporter announced his intention on the Barkley e-mail group list to write about this year’s race, some race veterans did not seem pleased.

“Please don’t send us spectators, troublemakers or yuppies,” wrote one.

“Don’t write about us. There is already too much information out there,” another said."

I've read a lot before about the Barkley Marathons and respect those who've attempted and admire those who've completed it. The idea of it becoming so widely publicized makes me a little sad, but I don't think you'll see the drastic increase in applications to this race as in some others. The barriers to entry are fantastic though, I never knew it was so difficult to get in.

Having said that, I would never attempt it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You hear a lot about the Barkley on the ultralist.  I find it intriguing, but nothing I think I could attempt myself because I tend to get lost on marked trails.  (I would be like the guy who got lost for 32 hours and only wound up going 2 miles.)  I would love to go and hang out and watch/help out someday though.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

... The barriers to entry are fantastic though, I never knew it was so difficult to get in.

I haven't looked in several years.  Does it now require more than an essay and an old license plate?

Chnaiur

I'm intrigued by the Barkley: it seems cold, meaningless and lonely. A great methaphor for the worst parts of life. I've never quit a race, and I'm curious to see how long I could keep going.

The challenge is really different from the enjoyment I get our of my usual running.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Sandy-2

Met John Fegyveresi last summer at Leadville (doing Leadville, Badwater and Barkley in one year ain't too shabby).  He's done quite a few epic runs, including that hilly one you guys talk about in Central PA, since he's from that area.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL