Trailer Trash

Don't Fence Me In 30k RR with bonus miles! (Read 32 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

The Don't Fence Me In 30k is part of LaSportiva's Mountain Series and thus gets quite a few runners attending the race and visiting Helena.  This is third year I've been signed up for this event, but the first I've run it.  The first year I was signed up turned out to be my DD wedding; they were good to deal with and refunded my entry fee.  Last year I was signed up and fractured my heel in March, they let me drop down to the 12k (a challenging course in it's own right).  This year I finally got to run it 

it's a very challenging run, a little over 20 miles w/ 5000'-ish of climb- lots of technical single track and plenty of good views.  I've done this run on my own a few times for training, typically running it in ~ 4.5 hours, a month ago I ran it in 4:10 and thought with a little luck I could break in the high 3's (like 3:59:59 high threes!).  This morning's weather was nearly perfect, the temp at the start was in the high 30's with highs predicted in the mid 50's- partly cloudy w/ just a very slim chance of precip.

I felt pretty good at the start, armed with a single water bottle (two aid stations- 7 &13.5 miles) and a handful of Cliff Bloks were off at exactly 7:30 AM.  The very first part of the course starts on pavement, but within 3/4 of mile it goes to single track and stays that way the entire race.  I was passed by a gob of runners, but I wasn't racing anyone, just the clock, so settled into a comfortable pace.  When we hit the single track we were faced with our first big uphill ~ 2 miles w/ ~1300' of gain.  I passed a few folks on this uphill, but not many.  The last 1/4 of mile is really steep and I knew I'd be walking it.

After the first climb it opens up with good running and eventually almost all the elevation gained is given up.  Few more folks passed me on the downhills.  Peering at my watch, I was pretty much on track for a sub 4 hour finish.  After a couple of more ascents and descents I arrived at the first aid station at mile 7.  Topped off the handheld and was off pretty quick.  This next stretch up Barking Dog is rough, rough as it's pretty steep.  Almost runnable, but not quite (I'm sure the front of the pack folks were running it).  The course makes a little over 2 mile loop on itself once you get to the top.  I wasn't feeling really peachy on this stretch, walking more than I wanted to and stomach not 100%.  I could feel my finish slipping, but hung in there best I could.  After the loop you drop again and cross Grizzly Gulch where aid station 2 is waiting.  Again topped the handheld off and didn't linger.  This is a really tough 2 mile climb up to the main Mt Helena Ridge.  If I wasn't feeling really peachy on Barking Dog, I was really feeling like shit on this stretch.  There were a couple of slow runnable stretches on this ascent, but I walked the entire thing .  When I finally made it to the ridge I wasn't feeling good at all, but looking at my watch I still had a chance for a sub 4 finish, so I sucked up and started running.  I actually passed a few folks on this stretch (and passed by a few too) and as I got closer to Mount Helena started feeling a little better, thats when the calves started cramping .  I was really good at taking electrolyte tablets the entire race, but I think these cramps were simply calf muscles played out.

The ascent to Mount Helena is really brutal and with ~ 18 miles under your belt, even more brutal.  Once you make to the top the course hits you with another slap as it takes a brutal, rocky and steep downhill trail.  Every time I toed a rock (and it was a lot!) my calf would really cramp, almost putting me down.  Looking at my watch I could see the sub 4 finish fading.  I tried to keep a good pace up, but my calves were rebelling.

I crossed the finish line in 4:05, so close.

Bonus Miles: my DW was at the finish line waiting for me, I grabbed a couple of oranges & bananas while she held onto my handheld, after a bit she decided to head home, I followed shortly after- my truck parked close to where the finish was.  as I got to my truck I realized my wife still has the handheld which has the key fob to get into my truck where the keys are   I started running after her, she said she was parked near Starbucks, about 1/2 mile away.  I though my luck had changed when I found our car and was just a matter of a short wait for my wife.  After 45 minutes, I bagged it and started for home (about 3.5 miles) hoping maybe she would pass me.  No such luck, but at least the cramping had ceased.  When my wife got home (about 10 minutes after I did), she asked where the truck was 

Oh well, few extra miles never hurt anyone.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

You know you're doing a trail race when it's actual mileage is 10-15% more then listed.

Congratulations on a fine finish. If my calculations are right that was just a little over 11 minute miles with a lot of elevation.  it's no wonder your calves rebelled.

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations on your course PR.  Consider the extra miles as a cool down.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Nice job on a tough course!  Stinks you didn't get sub 4, but that's still a strong finish !

runtraildc

Congratulations on your PR.  Yes, so close but next year, right? (and ps, the link for your pic is not working, at least for me)

XtremeTaper

Congrats... looks like a challenging course for a 30k+.. I wonder about the cramping, if you had enough fluids or salt? Looks like you will hve to go back next year to bag that sub4! Oh, and you should have run another 1.2 or so bonus miles and called it a marathon for the day!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, nice run!

The elevation profile looks great, and the run is also already at some higher altitude, that might have contributed to the exhaustion.

I had to chuckle at your bonus miles - could have happened to me just the same way with my DH! At least you did a nice cool-down run.

Run for fun.

Watoni

Well done! Sounds like a beast, especially given the distance!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks all!  I'm more motivated now to get that spare hide-a-key now!

XT I tried to stay up on the electrolytes and water, I've had them before, most notably on my Joshua Tree traverse- I'm starting to think they may simply be under trained?????

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Too funny on the key thing...ummm doesn't anyone in Montana have a cell phone you could use?

On congratulations on the PR> 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄