Trailer Trash

Goofy blurb of the day (Read 58 times)

Uh oh... now what?

Not for the gimmick challenged...

http://www.runnersworld.com/other-gear/uk-runners-release-first-hands-free-hydration-system

Almost as goofy as knuckle lights...

runtraildc

6.7 ounces?  Oh, they must be for 5Ks....

Occasional Runner

Sounds like something Runner's World would write about.

runfastandie

That MUST have been an April fool's Joke!!!

Uh oh... now what?

That MUST have been an April fool's Joke!!!

Nope... cut and paste:

By

Michelle Hamilton

Published

April 8, 2013

Mo needed water in a 5000m?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Sounds like something Runner's World would write about.

LOL

I've carried water on 5k's and 10k's before.  I know I didn't NEED it, but I think I run slower when I am uncomfortable...being thirsty is uncomfortable.  Water stations are all well and good, but chances are you aren't going to get thirsty right at the aid station.  I think if you are in the realm of setting world records/winning major races then anything that could give you the edge should be taken full advantage of (I don't know that this is going to give anybody an edge...just playing devil's advocate).

I thought knucklights were a great idea until I tried carrying a flashlight...for me it is not a problem that needs solving.

^^I'm rereading this and I'm pretty sure this is a good example of why my friends say I can't take a joke. Smile  That product is about as goofy as they get.

**Ask me about streaking**

Uh oh... now what?

Mo needed water in a 5000m?

I'm not going to go back to find the weather conditions at the IAAF Championship meet, but the USATF and IAAF both stipulate that an aid station will be available for the 5 km and 10 km races (track events) when the temperature is above a certain point.  For most of us it sounds somewhat silly, but if you are running close to max (these folks are "playing" at 4:30 mile pace) it is a safety condition.  The times I have seen it done, one table on the back stretch about four lanes out so the inside lanes don't get wet, most were grabbing the water and pouring it on their head--maybe a sip to wet the tongue, but not drinking as we generally think of it.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm not going to go back to find the weather conditions at the IAAF Championship meet, but the USATF and IAAF both stipulate that an aid station will be available for the 5 km and 10 km races (track events) when the temperature is above a certain point.  For most of us it sounds somewhat silly, but if you are running close to max (these folks are "playing" at 4:30 mile pace) it is a safety condition.  The times I have seen it done, one table on the back stretch about four lanes out so the inside lanes don't get wet, most were grabbing the water and pouring it on their head--maybe a sip to wet the tongue, but not drinking as we generally think of it.

Maybe they should try a sprinkler system or hose when the temps are high.  That could be fun.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

They could just turn them into a Color Run where Mo, et. al. are doused with colored water balloons to cool them off.

You people have issues 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The 6.7 oz are not much, but I'd take it to keep my mouth moist, or as a quick perk on short runs in the heat. Not to fight dehydration, just to keep me more comfortable by getting a sip every now and then.

I guess if I had the money, I might actually get it and get good use out of it.

Run for fun.

Messenjah

I've carried water during 5k's and 10k's too, but it is a mental thing. I always have water with me. No matter where I go. Running or not. I ran Chicago in 2007 when they ran out of water and cups. I was smart enough that day to run with a bottle that day and had water for a while, but swore that I would never run without it at that point.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Those look fun to fill at aid stations, hey John?

6 oz. of water just does not seem worth it to me, I'll stick with

my 22 oz. handhelds.

Uh oh... now what?

Those look fun to fill at aid stations, hey John?

6 oz. of water just does not seem worth it to me, I'll stick with

my 22 oz. handhelds.

In his usual tactful way the old guy (Lary) at the far end of the table at our aid station looked

at the handful of tiny bottles the runner was removing from his fuel belt and was offering him.

He turned his head toward the rest of us and not very quietly said, "Whose turn is it to do

these goofy toy bottles?"

Kathy was busy making more sandwiches.

I was retying the shelter guy lines.

Silence and no eyes looking, not even the tiniest bit, toward Lary.

Poor kid would have let Lary fill them with Wesson oil just to get out of the aid station.

I guess I would've thought it would take more time to do anything about getting thirsty in under 13 min races than it would help.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog