Trailer Trash

Off the schneid Fridaily (Read 21 times)

XtremeTaper

Browns Win... Browns win!!!

No run yet today, but it's grey and cloudy, and sounds like fall. Something this evening out at the lake. Probably on red trail (north side) for something faster. I did run 5 miles on the road yesterday. It wasn't awful.

QOTD: Have you ever had a bad streak with a race or distance where you felt like you would never get it done, you know PR/CR/AG placing/finish whatever?

For me it was the marathon. I could not break 3:10 for several years, attempts. Even funnier, one year I was really in great shape, ran the Ocean Drive Marathon into a strong headwind and beat a stale 2-3 year old PR by one second but alas it was still in 3:12 range. Seems like every marathon it was something, wind or heat. I became quite expert and running 3:12-3:15 but never faster. Best shape I was ever in prior to Chicago marathon I get a hamstring injury 5 days before the race, went for it anyway, but hamstring seized up halfway in and I jogged in for a 3:20 something. I was on the schneid bigtime when it came to the marathon. I switched to ultramarathons in 2007 and then finally snuck up on the marathon in the fall of 2008, cashing in my larger base and a 6 week sharpening phase to run a 3:05 at Steamtown. It was about 6-8 weeks after a 50 miler. It felt so good to be off the schneid. Good beers (and many of them) that day in Scranton!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!

Without any shadow of a doubt, Fall is here- 35 degrees here this morning Smile  Took a SRD yesterday and again today, we head for the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness tomorrow morning for a four day backcountry bison hunt. If successful, we’ll be cramming a month’s worth of workouts in a couple of days- nothing like humping 90 lbs on your back to get the blood flowing 

qotd: I was able to finish business with the Elkhorn 50k this summer; still have some unfinished business with the Bridger Ridge Run.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Howdy folks,

Just got back from vacation in the wee hours of the morning yesterday.  Hiked some but didn't run a bit during that time.  Went to Texas then drove up to Wyoming with a stop in Denver to check out a new bike I'm interested in.  The timing was slightly off to meet up in Colorado, plus I'm in no shape to run any distance at elevation without a week to acclimate.  Had great weather in the Teatons. Hiked some, did a float trip, rented a boat on Jackson lake and put 70 miles on a UTV. Did one hike up in Yellowstone.  Encountered two Bison who were so intimidated by DW's presence that they crapped themselves .

Planning a bike ride later today and rest up so I can go back to work tomorrow.

QOTD:  I always feel like my training for any race is subpar. That's the monkey I need to get off my back.  Only really remember one race that I felt my training was adequate for and that was the bike race up Mt Washington.  The second year I did Call of the Wilds I was half way pleased with my training. Most of the other races I do I'm just so under trained  that it's pathetic.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

and a 6 week sharpening phase to run a 3:05 at Steamtown. It was about 6-8 weeks after a 50 miler. It felt so good to be off the schneid. Good beers (and many of them) that day in Scranton!

Good God, I'll never be that fast, even rolling down the slopes of a Himalayan mountaintop.

Daydreamer - 

Thinking about 8 after work tonight so I can sleep in tomorrow morning before heading up to the cabin for the weekend.

QOTD:  Ironically, the 10K distance is my nemesis.  My PR at that distance was my very first race of 46:13.  Four tries later, couldn't beat it, even though based on my marathon PR of 3:26, I should crush that time.  Those damn 10K marathons!!!!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

Going all Yiddish on us with the "schneid".

After my run yesterday, hiked 7 miles with DD#1's BF, DS, and one of their 30 yo friends.  Funny hiking sections of the AT that I usually run.  I was kicking rocks left and right.  Nice day with the boys.

SRD today.  Longish run tomorrow near Pine Grove Furnace SP.  Weather looks nice.

Been texting back and forth with Queen.  She seems ready and feels the weight of all of us following her.  Told her to run for herself and not to beat Jamie. 

QOTD:  Was the 5K for me.  Mostly because my mind didn't want to accept that I wasn't a HS runner anymore and I had a hard time getting back under 20 minutes.  Ran a race years ago with several of my XC runners.  Think the motivation pushed me and I ran in 19:38.   I promptly retired from the 5k distance, so to this day say my last 5k was sub 20.  As a side note I was the 10th male finisher but only 3rd in my AG (40-49 at the time) (I know It's been a while).  A bunch of fast older men out there.  5 of the other runners ahead of me were on the team, so all in the <20 AG. One was in their 20's and the other was a speedy 55 yo.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Without any shadow of a doubt, Fall is here- 35 degrees here this morning Smile  

Um, yeah. Here too! 2:00 P.M. and it's 44F here in Presque Isle, Wi. hard wind from the northwest so I'm thinking there is a good chill factor too. I like these temps.   I bet Mandy's happy she didn't head to the Porkies this weekend. Or maybe not. 

Gonna head out shortly for a 6 mile trail effort. I'll have to locate my backup cold weather stuff I keep stashed here as Madison yesterday was 85F and muggy and I didn't pack up the right running stuff.

QOTD--Well way back in the day the 10k was my nemesis. It took a lot of time and effort to finally break 40 minutes.  I remember being really in great racing shape and coming in at 40:04 and I just felt crushed. When I finally had a break thru I skipped the 39's and went right into the mid 38's. Couldn't get any faster but for about a 5 year window I could always do from mid 38's to a smidgeon over 39. God, I hate that distance. IMO it is the toughest distance to truly race. Have to maintain pace and focus thru the whole thing carrying it well past the pain barrier. Back then I would embrace the pain and figure I can't hurt anymore if I try to up the pace. Nowadays I just say screw it, I want to be comfortable. 

XtremeTaper

Harrier - 10k is nasty... like a 5k that keeps on giving. LOL. Nice PR there. I was right about 40 minutes, but never went under. Honestly I did not run very many of them and never a completely flat one. Even small hills hurt tons in those races.

DD - Welcome back. Sounds like a nice variety of outdoor activities on your trip.

Berto - Sure, you could run those times if stopped running around in circles.  Big grin

AT - The 40-49AG was always tough here too. I think I only placed once or twice at PCS races. 50's were actually better.

Warden - I am not ready for 35 yet. Hopefully we move to those temps gracefully here.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Will do 5 mi dodging the thunderstorms after work today. With all the rain it might even be below 90 deg, but it will be humid....

qotd: Ya know... if you keep your expectations low enough you never have a bad streak. 

I had two 100 mile DNFs a while back and I was kinda bummed.  Although I had some pretty good reasons for the DNFs it did mess with my head a bit. I have since done 3 more hondos, so I guess I'm over it, we'll see next weekend.

tbd.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I bet Mandy's happy she didn't head to the Porkies this weekend. Or maybe not. 

This weekend and next weekend weren't options for me to travel.  If that first weekend of October is beautiful, then I'm gonna be pissed.    Just kidding...I'm always happy to have warm weather when I camp.  And it was warm up there for me!  If the forecast for the first weekend of October is great, well, hell, maybe I'll go somewhere spur of the moment.

Running is dumb.

LB2

I ran a short loop around the woods yesterday morning, but I was too busy to check in here.

QOTD: I guess the only bad streak I could say I have had was with Pinhoti. I have run that race 3 times, DNF'd twice and finished once. The first time I ran it I DNF'd, and that did bother me a great deal. But I went back and finished comfortably and a little under scheduled goal. I executed that race plan perfectly. Then, last year, I just couldn't seem to generate enough speed to finish. It was quite warm and humid, but I didn't feel like I was doing that bad. Anyway, I did move forward until I timed out, and it really didn't bother me. I probably shouldn't have gone back there again; it sort of lost its luster to me after I finished it. I have pretty experienced every high and low a person can have in ultra running in about a dozen or so races, and what I haven't experienced as a runner, I have watched as a crew member, pacer, or volunteer. I like being around the sport.

LB2