Trailer Trash

Karl Meltzer's AT FKT attempt (Read 35 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

http://atrun.redbull.com/karl-meltzer-appalachian-trail/p/1

I knew he was starting in August but did not realize he was already 19 days in....

Will be in PA soon...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Keep thinking about this but havn't had time to look it up. Saw it again last night on irunfar.com. Thanks for the link.

LB2

Here is my thing with this (and I don't care much one way or the other, but...)

I think the FKT on any trail should be in the same direction. So, I think maybe Jurek has the record, which went south to north. But Meltzer is going north to south. Does that count as a separate FKT? Or would it be a new FKT? I don't care how much worse the terrain may be in Maine, NH, and Vermont, it is probably significantly cooler than GA and NC this time of year. Plus, Meltzer has significant experience moving across rough terrain. Furthermore, like Jurek, this FKT is supported. Jurek started in GA and finished in Maine in 46 days, 8 hours, and 8 minutes, which bested Jennifer Pharr Davis' 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes. Pharr Davis started in Maine and finished at Springer Mt., GA, like Meltzer. Both were completed in July, which would put them starting late May/early June. So, these two (Jurek/Meltzer) went in opposite directions.

Heather Anderson, on the other hand, has the unsupported FKT with 54 days, 7 hours, and 40 minutes. She left Maine and finished at Springer Mt., GA also. I am more impressed by Anderson's solo accomplishment than these others. I do, however, respect the accomplishments of all these people.

Anyway you look at it, it is an impressive accomplishment, but I know that the same terrain in a different direction can be significantly more difficult. I just don't know which way is more difficult on this route. I think the cooler temps in the north would be good if you started in mid-September to late August in Maine and went south. If nothing else, the scenery would be spectacular.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Absolutely agree!!!

Here is my thing with this (and I don't care much one way or the other, but...)

Heather Anderson, on the other hand, has the unsupported FKT with 54 days, 7 hours, and 40 minutes. She left Maine and finished at Springer Mt., GA also. I am more impressed by Anderson's solo accomplishment than these others. I do, however, respect the accomplishments of all these people.

AT-runner

Tim

I think the FKT on any trail should be in the same direction

Anyway you look at it, it is an impressive accomplishment, but I know that the same terrain in a different direction can be significantly more difficult. I just don't know which way is more difficult on this route. I think the cooler temps in the north would be good if you started in mid-September to late August in Maine and went south. If nothing else, the scenery would be spectacular.

Agree, should be separate records, just like North Bound and South Bound thru hikers are recorded separately. Should be listed as NOBO and SOBO FKT's.

Being someone who does out and backs on many different MD and PA sections, there is no question the two directions are different. Over the course of the whole trail it probably gets close to evening out, but section by section, there are big differences.

I talked to Karl last year when I was fortunate to run with SJ.  He was planning on the same route, but I think the mess SJ had with Baxter SP might have played into him rethinking his strategy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Yeah I noticed that he had started, but figured the first few weeks were "warm up" miles.  LOL.

I also agree that there should be separate NB and SB  FKTs.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Keep Going

Totally agree. The unsupported record is really amazing when you thing about it. But Meltzer's current average pace is sick!!

100 milers are my favorite

AT-runner

Tim

Planning on a long run on the AT tomorrow. I might start at Rt 34 and head North. Maybe I'll run into Karl. His website is pretty nondescript as far as exact location. If I use his mileage, He's getting close to that area and then 1/2 way point.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I was thinking the same thing.  It's hard to determine where he might be.  Complete opposite from SJ where you could literally see where he was within minutes and sometimes real time - it was updating as the satellite picked up his signal.

Good Luck AT.

XtremeTaper

AT, perhaps he is trying to avoid throngs of tag along runners, thus no exact tracking. Good luck finding him.

Oh, and browsing the page he estimates 121 falls on the trail, spills and crashes. And 690 hours of Grateful Dead with no weed or hallucinogens?  Big grin

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

AT, perhaps he is trying to avoid throngs of tag along runners, thus no exact tracking. Good luck finding him.

Oh, and browsing the page he estimates 121 falls on the trail, spills and crashes. And 690 hours of Grateful Dead with no weed or hallucinogens?  Big grin

For sure.  Last year when I got a chance to talk with him he said his attempt would be different, and that was well before SJ had all the mess up North.

I want to talk to him about his 12 hour golf record of playing 230 holes. That's pretty amazing that he ran over 100k and played 230 holes of golf. 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

*bump

So it's sort of difficult to determine where he is or how he is currently doing.  The tracker seems to be behind several days.  He is supposedly on pace to break the record but the website only has through day 27, yet he should be in the 30's .

Sorry Karl, it's just plain boring to try and follow you...

Carry on folks, nothing to see here.

Daydreamer1

I remember that last year towards the end of Jurek's run his wife had posted on FB that people meeting and running with him was starting to slow him down.  Maybe that's why Karl is going a little more low key.

Sandy-2

I guess you saw that he set the new supported FKT SOBO:  45d 22h 38m.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Yes. I was getting his Instagram updates, which were more up to date than his website. Think it was a good idea not posting his exact location like SJ did. Looks like he ran by himself a lot and had some help at times. SJ ran with him some the last week, and even SJ's posts were more cryptic than usual about location.

There is a NOBO female hiker who should finish in around 54 days unsupported. That would be the fastest by 2 days, but she is not wearing a GPS device and record won't be officially recognized. The interview I saw with her said she didn't care about the record since she knew couldn't afford to have the tracking that she needed so it was never a goal.