Trailer Trash

Wasatch 100 RR (Read 40 times)

Occasional Runner

Here's a short RR from my DNF at Wasatch and the abrupt end to my Grand Slam effort. Thanks for reading.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.com/2015/09/2015-wasatch-front-100.html

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks again for sharing your experience and thoughts. I've struggled with DNFs and wondered if I really did everything I could to continue. Sometimes it was obvious and others not so much. I wish you joy in your remaining races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

Thanks for the RR Kelly.  I think I had similar DNF feelings that you describe when I DNFed Hardrock a year ago.  It just 'was what it was...' I was totally invested in it and looking forward to 'getting it done', but then when I DNFed it was just kind of a dud, no fanfare, no high or low, just a fading off into the sunset. I don't think it was 'burnout' with me, and I don't think it is with you either.  I think it's more of a case of experience and knowing when to 'pull the plug and call it'.

Now just go out and enjoy the rest of your 2015 racing plans.  I hope you have more beer miles planned.

tbd.

some call me Tim

Gosh, you don't do anything small, huh? Big grin

That's a great report, and I think you answered the question of the reason for your ambivalence, but I've got to admit I'm puzzling over what happened, and like you mentioned this has been a recent trend. And maybe it's nothing more complicated than you don't tend to train in the heat of the day, and we all know that after passing a certain point when it comes to heat exhaustion, it's next to impossible to come back. I dunno.

Anyway, it's been fun reading the reports and even if you didn't complete the slam it sounds like in the end you got what you really wanted... in a roundabout way.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Sorry about the and results but on the upside you got to run with Jason...even if you didn't talk. He's easy on the eyes.  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Thanks for sharing.  you sound like me when I puke. Every one for a mile around hears it and my body is sore for several days. It's a violent experience.

As far as the heat intolerance goes it could be a lot of things. If you happen to be taking any medications take a look at those. I had serious heat tolerance issues several years ago. It got better after I quit using Prilosec. This year I haven't been taking my Lipitor for cholesterol and the heat didn't bother me near as much.  Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

You put up a good fight, what else can one do?  I can sympathize with your struggle with the heat- I'm going to try and do some heat conditioning next year.  Easy to say, much harder to do- we'll see.

I think you have the right attitude, no reason to anguish over a dnf where you gave it your best shot; it is after all just running.

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Thanks for the report and good perspective. I've used that term a lot.. "it's just running". Seems there were a lot outside influences that had you take on the slam. If I remember right, you were sort of urged to do it after getting into WS. Reading your report I kept glancing at the images of the bright blue sky and nowhere to hide from the sun and heat. Having a rough day it must been brutal. Thanks for sharing and get back to doing the races you "want" to do.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thank you for the insightful RR, Kelly. In a way, I can relate to your mental indifference to the DNF. I get that way when the expectations that I and others put on me are too much, especially because I always strive to fulfill, or better exceed them. When I don't have the capacity to manage those expectations any more, the result does not matter. It's the finalization of the "project" that is important, because, as you say, this is the only thing that lifts the restrictions and opens up new opportunities that make me happy again. What this finalization eventually looks like is not nearly as important as just the fact that the pressure from expectations, whether self-imposed, or imposed by others, has ended.

I felt similar after ES100 last year. I finished, but way below my own expectations, and I did not really care. I was just happy to now have more time for my family again, and to have that pressure relieved.

I hope you'll find your "spark" and spirit soon again to run more great miles, but if you're into other endeavors now, that's great, too.

On the physical side of your difficulty of running in the heat now: It can take months to recover from heat exhaustion. You had a serious case of heat exhaustion and dehydration just recently, and I am not surprised to hear that running in heat is now much more difficult. Organs do suffer damage from heat overexposure, and your rhabdomyolysis definitely did not help, either. Everything will recover, but it takes time. With your newly found patience  try to give yourself some time (read: months) to get over this. With winter coming, things hopefully will improve, too.

Sorry for your DNF, but this does not take away any from you being an exceptional and most inspiring runner!

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Agree with what Marie said about rhabdo and time.  If you haven't, might get some blood work and check thyroid function.  Some vegetarians have "hypothyroid like symptoms" which include intolerance to heat.

Now plan some FKT's, that seems to be what you enjoy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good read as always - insight into your experiences.  You could DNF every future race and I would still admire you greatly.  Your passion for running and heart come through in your writing and they are infectious.  Thanks again and I hope you "enjoy running" the rest of the year.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NHLA

Great RR. Sorry you didn't finish. Hope you can solve heat issue.

Watoni

A very thoughtful report.

The Grand Slam strikes me as a somewhat unique pursuit, one I imagine you were encouraged to do given your familiarity with the races (except WS) and your ability to recover. I personally would love to see you sub-24 WS and Leadville, maybe in the same year Smile Vermont? Ughhh

Also, I am interested in how you approach the heat issue going forward. Have you done a sweat test? That can reveal shortcomings in your electrolyte strategy that may not be otherwise apparent, although puking is generally a pretty good clue something is amiss ....

Occasional Runner

The suffering I've experienced since Western States could be a result of my rhabdomyolysis, but without a bunch more blood tests, it would only be speculation. But whatever it is, it's not typical and it really screwed my summer up. I should have all my high temp running behind me for a while.