Trailer Trash

Calf pain (Read 40 times)

Anyone get calf pain?  It feels like I could have strained it, maybe when running fast during the 10k last week. Today was the first run I had to cut short due to the pain. IT's only on the right side, where the achilles meets the bottom of the "fat" part of the calf muscle. I randomly found this drawing online which is exactly where the pain is:

Besides the normal RICE, does anyone have suggestions?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

calves and achilles are the areas where if I have issues, they pop up; in addition to rest and ice, I've found rolling my calves before and after I run have really helped

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

calves and achilles are the areas where if I have issues, they pop up; in addition to rest and ice, I've found rolling my calves before and after I run have really helped

Good to know. Foam roller, the "stick", both? I will likely try both tonight.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I find a firm foam roller better than the stick personally- you get a good tricep workout at the same time Big grin

no doctor, but if it's really sore/hurts when rolling- then you'd be better off waiting for a few days imo

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

I find a firm foam roller better than the stick personally- you get a good tricep workout at the same time Big grin

no doctor, but if it's really sore/hurts when rolling- then you'd be better off waiting for a few days imo

Yeah, I ended up just icing it last night. I also slept with a compression sock on which seemed to help a bit. I'm going to take a few days off and hope it's just a minor strain.

Gator eye

I have been fighting this on my right side sense the first of Jan. I think I strained it in deep snow during a winter challenge. After fighting it for a month with a few days off here and there I finally took 10 days off to get it feeling normal again, it still feels tight when I first start running but usually loosens after a couple miles. At this point I'm taking everything slow and easy till that tightness goes away.

NorthernHarrier

I know I'll sound like a cranky old curmudgeon again but...

What is it about this place that it seems most people here are against something so simple and yet effective as a consistent and sound stretching program. I guess it sounds more brilliant and savvy to spend money on voodoo rollers and placebo compression calf thingies.

Make stretching part of your daily routine whether you run that day or not, focusing on the areas that give you issues. I know for some it won't matter but for many of us it is a necessary part of a fitness lifestyle.

I know I'll sound like a cranky old curmudgeon again but...

What is it about this place that it seems most people here are against something so simple and yet effective as a consistent and sound stretching program. I guess it sounds more brilliant and savvy to spend money on voodoo rollers and placebo compression calf thingies.

Make stretching part of your daily routine whether you run that day or not, focusing on the areas that give you issues. I know for some it won't matter but for many of us it is a necessary part of a fitness lifestyle.

I was a gymnast and cheerleader for 15 years, I definitely understand the benefits of stretching.  Those sports are nearly impossible without a good daily stretching regimen.

Right now, I don't stretch enough. But it's not because I am against stretching. I know it is good for me, but it's just something I do not do on a regular basis. I'm sure if I did, I probably wouldn't be feeling this pain. And I accept responsibility for that.

Right now my concern is if it is strained, I don't want to make it worse by stretching it further. A strain, after all, is when you overstretch the muscle that is alright tight (likely from not stretching enough!) There is a lot of info out there that advises starting to stretch it again only after it heals. Of course I plan to do that, but right now my concern is preventing it from getting worse. Stretching will likely not help at this point, so I'm looking into other avenues like RICE, massage, rolling etc.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Not long ago, I read an article (in German, sorry) about muscles, bones and fascia.

The fascia is the tissue that holds the muscles together, it is like a sheath around them, and exents into/over the tendons. While during training muscles grow and strengthen quickly, followed by bone strength, the fascia takes much longer to build up and "stretch" with the growing muscles.

This can lead to several  painful effects: pressure from the muscles while they work, pressure if the muscles have been overworked and are swelling (e.g. during DOMS), and pressure if muscles or tendons have been strained or injured. The result can be fasciitis, as we know it from plantar fasciitis, but it can basically occur anywhere in the body.

Pain from the fascia is not always fasciitis (at least not the chronic form, which can take months or even a year to heal), but it should be taken care of. This can be done by taking anti-inflammatory drugs, icing, some rest, and massaging/rolling. Stretching is good, but not so much during the most acute pain phase, but rather later, when things feel a bit better. Stretching (gentle) is good because it improves the "stretchiness" of the fascia and allows for some "wiggle room", so that the muscles can grow without causing pain, and also to have some tolerance if muscles get sore or injured. Overstretching, on the other hand, leads to injury of the fascia, pain, and perhaps even fasciitis.

They also gave some "good measures": Muscles can grow stronger significantly within two months, bone strength would follow within 3 or 4 months, but the fascia would need about a year to build up to accommodate that level of muscles growth and strength again.

From that, I get it that you'd need to be patient, build up gently, stretch gently once the acute pain is gone, and RICE gently. Seems that "gentle" is the key, however you can accommodate this in trail running.

Run for fun.

Thanks, Couch. Sounds like a very informative article. Now if only I spoke German.... 

jonferg67

Endless trails

I use a foam roller often, but also use a tennis ball for the calf.

Here is a good PDF file about techniques. http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

Sandy-2

I also stretch a bit each day and before I run. You have to be careful though, once you have an injury sometime stretching isn't good. Stretching can reinjure sore muscles And prolong your injury time.

I find that compression does help with calf strains, you don't need fancy compression socks, good old ace bandages work.  The other thing that helps is rest and coming back slowly Once you feel better.

Good luck.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

static stretching is pretty much dead and gone; just like in the old days when we couldn't drink water during football practice

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

static stretching is pretty much dead and gone; just like in the old days when we couldn't drink water during football practice

Not true.  Static stretching is still highly suggested when done as a separate session in and of itself. And especially useful if you have specific issues that are recurring with you personally.  If I don't do a steady dose of static stretches 4-5 times a week i will start getting that calf pain that TrailsnCocktails is dealing with not to mention IT issues, tight lower back, and PF troubles.  And it's so easy plus I combine it with some light core work. Win, win.   Maintaining flexibility is a good thing.   (BTW--I only mentioned the rollers and compression sock things to get a rise out of you)  With just a little research you can easily find an expert that says what you want to hear. 

But no one here talks about  any stretching, it's just not sexy enough I guess and that includes dynamic  or static not to mention any other loosening or warmup tricks.  Trails, it seems like you are on top of things and don't want to over stretch an injury which is good but shortly you should be able to do some gentle stretching a few times a day that should help a lot.  Furthermore by stretching other areas of your leg you can indirectly help the affected area.

Finally Trails, I had the same thing that you're dealing with happen to me a few weeks ago from a snowshoe race. I carefully stretched it  several times a day and had a couple more flareups when starting my runs. I just eased into a run slowly and did a lot of stretching and am finally now all good. Because of my hand injury I had been slacking on my stretching and other workouts and I believe that led to my calf troubles. After 60,000 miles I do know what works for me however I can get pretty sloppy at times.