Trailer Trash

Hundred the new Marathon? (Read 46 times)

AT-runner

Tim

I almost feel guilty "taking" a spot  at LH with the intentions of having fun and enjoying the trail, versus viewing it as a straight qualifier for WS.

T&C - you've been training hard, so never feel guilty doing a race that you prepare for and fully anticipate competing.  I have a big problems with people who take a spot knowing that they aren't prepared and will likely DNF and justify using it as a "training run".  (Yes, I've seen these people and even know one or two.)

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

T&C - Yeah, the qualifier thing certainly played a role there but I think even in 2013 before the 50 milers were axed from WS100 qualifying it began filling up in March. You should not feel guilty about taking a spot in the race whether you are aiming for a WQ or not. Oh, and folks who think running a marathon is not enough should try to "race" one sometime.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oh, and folks who think running a marathon is not enough should try to "race" one sometime.

Agree!!

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Oh, and folks who think running a marathon is not enough should try to "race" one sometime.

+1

I raced my first one and then "ran" the next two just to learn how to really race (and pace) that distance.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

+1

I raced my first one and then "ran" the next two just to learn how to really race (and pace) that distance.

this is probably the main reason I don't do marathons anymore.  I sucked at it.  Although only 2 marathons was a very small sample....but I still sucked at it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Keep Going

I think ultra running could possibly be the new mid life crisis fix. Instead of buying a sports car they get fixated on running. One good thing about ultra popularity is that there are races and fatass events popping up all over the place. Especially in the Northeast.  If the demand is there then the races will be there I think. I kinda like searching for those lower key ultras and inaugural events and running them. When I search for races on ultrasignup and elsewhere the choices seem endless! I like that.  But the 100 milers I don't think are a fad I just think so many new runners in their late 30's and 40's like me the Generation X'ers whom are now realizing how awesome these runs truly are. I'm training for my first hunnerd now and the commitment is enormous and that isn't a fad and can't be a fad due to the high level of sacrifice it takes to do them. I could be wrong though.

100 milers are my favorite