Trailer Trash

Another Rocky Report 2013 (Read 67 times)

LB2

The race season ended with a mixed bag of great victory and agonizing defeat. I didn’t think Rocky could be any more of a rewarding experience for me than it was last  year when I finished it after overcoming a great deal of adversity. I was on top of the world. With the start of the new year, I decided that my number one priority would be to help others achieve the same milestone I was fortunate enough to achieve last year. And it was going to start with getting my brother through his first 100 miler.

My plan was to work the start/finish area and make sure I took care of him when he came through. My “get-him-across-the-finish-line plan” started with one cut off before the 6AM Sunday cut off for the last loop: Get out of the S/F for loop 4 no later than 10:30 PM Saturday night.

Initially, I was only marginally excited about working the S/F line. But once the race started, we got to work. The aid stations at this race are top notch. They are organized; they have what you need; they get you in and out quickly. The first runners came back through very close, to slightly under, course record pace. I knew things would probably slow down for loop two because the temps were steadily rising. I started looking for ice. I have been in a long race where the temps were much warmer than they were at this race, and I had no ice. It can be (was) devastating. However, we had ice. Someone asked me to grab one end of the ice chest, and we carried it over to the tables. We had one AS veteran who wanted to protect the ice. We’ll call him the Ice Nazi. He chastised workers for giving too much ice. He seemed determined to limit the amount of ice distributed and tried to dictate which receptacle the ice was to be delivered from… A couple of times, I politely just took the pitcher from him and poured ice into the handheld or hydration bladder that was put in front of me. Eventually, I explained that we had plenty of ice, and it was not a “zero sum” game: We could get more!!! Plus, once night fell, the need for ice would be very low. Soon, the AS manager showed him that we had plenty of ice to replace the ice we used and assured him that no one would be left without access to ice. We would get more if we needed it. This calmed him down to Ice Nazi Sympathizer status, but he had trouble trying to control his desire to manage the ice distribution.  Ultimately, his concern was for the runners, and he wanted everyone to have access to some ice. And I understand that, but when a runner asks for something, you give it to him/her, especially if it is there for runners. It all worked out; everyone got ice who wanted ice.

We were rolling runners through very well. I was enjoying myself a great deal. I would laugh and joke with folks. I introduced myself to a few people I knew from Facebook, etc. We were having a great time. As the clock ticked by, I was concerned that my brother was well behind where I thought he should be for loop one. I told him between 4:15 and 4:30 for the first loop would be good. He rolled in at 4:45. He looked good; he said he felt fine. I chastised him a little, and told him he needed to pick it up just a hair. His reply was that I should just relax and let him run his race… Ok. And off he went. Somewhere along the way, I noticed a runner with a breast pump. I hope I didn’t look too long, but I was rather surprised by that sight. It turns out that she was running and pumping milk for her infant who was with a lady at the S/F line. I am not making a judgment about it; I was just not expecting to see that.

I believe Sandy sent me a text or two during loop 2.  Nathan rolled back into the S/F at 4:30 PM, which was 10 hours and 28 minutes. He was averaging about 15:40 per mile. That is a good average for the overall race, but I wanted to see it closer to 14 minute miles at this point. I wanted a little more time built in for the eventual slow down towards the end. I had some concerns about him slowing more and not being where he needed to be. I figured the last two loops would be 6 hours and 6.5 hours, putting us in at 29 hours. Loop 3 would be important. He was not on pace to be back to me at 10:30, and I figured we would be pushing it even more than I expected if he was reduced to a walk.

I was still working the aid station at 10:27 when I looked up and saw him come in. He didn't slow down as much as I thought he might, which was good. It was around this time of the night that I started seeing people crying, huddled in blankets, dropping from the race, etc. It looked like some sort of trauma center. I got Nathan situated quickly, and we crossed the line out for 10:30 PM on the dot. We rolled pretty well, running slowly and walking quickly. He still had plenty of run in him at mile 60, and we never walked a full mile on the loop. Right after the Nature Center AS, we started catching people. I heard some owls in the distance, and as always, I answered them with some very good owl hoots of my own. I did that mostly to get his mind on something else, but also, an owl hoot is about the only sound I can stay on key with. They answered me back. I am sure the folks up ahead and behind us thought I was crazy.

I kept checking my watch and we were going to make up some time on this loop. We rolled through Damnation on the way out quickly, and we were rewarded with some beautiful coyote howling. I love the sounds of the woods at night. Nathan was in good spirits until we hit the dam. At that point, I noticed him slipping into a bad place mentally. I reached in my pocket and pulled out some cheese crackers. I had him eat two, drink, eat two more, drink, etc. He came out of this spot quickly and we continued to run slowly and walk quickly. I estimated us to finish the loop in 5:20ish at the pace we were going. I could live with that. We saw Sandy (Slowdown) when we were coming back into Damnation AS.  I remember his saying hello, and I think I told him that I believed we would make it. I truly did. It was in the bag. We ate at Damnation and moved on out.

All this while, if I wasn’t suggesting we run a little, Nathan was suggesting it. This made me feel great about him finishing. Around mile 75, he stopped to pee. When he turned, he felt a burning sensation in his Achilles’ Tendon. I suggested we walk it out a bit. His walk quickly became a limp. It was soon evident that he could no longer run and could barely walk. The temps had dropped, and I could feel a chill coming on quickly. We were not moving fast enough to generate enough heat to keep us warm. I was in denial and tried everything I knew to say to get him to continue if at all possible. I did not want him to experience the disappointment of a DNF, not on the first time out, not when he was still running well, not with 25 miles to go… Despite our best efforts, he was unable to continue. I thought we would never get to the next AS at his reduced pace after the AT issue.  I told him that it was not mathematically possible to hold this pace and finish the race. He said he knew that. We made it to the Park Road AS, and he dropped. I had to get the car. I was frustrated because he had really done well with hydration, nutrition, foot care, etc. He had run a perfect race for someone whose only goal is to finish in the allotted time. Dang it!!!

I had to get back to the car on foot, and it just so happened that a runner came through with no pacer who was trying to hold on for a sub 24 hour race. I left Nathan in the good hands of the aid station and took off with the other runner to help him get his sub 24 and retrieve the car at the start/finish line. This guy was reluctant to take on a pacer at first. He felt like it would be a boring trek for me. But I assured him I could deal with it. After the first mile, he commented that he was glad I was there to talk to and keep him focused on a good pace. We were moving very well, around 15 minute miles, passing people like it was cool. Then, from out of nowhere, I was swatted in the stomach by a bear, and he was a grizzly!!! I fought him off momentarily, but he was relentless. You can’t outrun this bear, and climbing a tree would do no good either. I told my runner to keep going; I had to pull over. We fought it out for quite a few minutes well off the trail. In the end, I survived, but my gloves paid the ultimate price. It is all buried out there in the woods.

I got back on the trail, and I began trying to catch my runner. I had the most fun of the night running down that dark trail with only my handheld lighting the way. I caught up with my runner, almost passing him when he called my name. We kept going down the trail talking about past races, course records, future plans, etc. Suddenly, we turned a corner and saw the finish line. I suggested we run, and run we did. We came in around 23:25 or so, well under 24 hours. Nathan had ended up catching a ride back to the S/F and was waiting for me. He went to sleep while I waited for another friend of ours to finish. Our other friend, who DNF’d last year, came in at 25:22. We were all happy for him.

It was a disappointing day for my brother. But, like I told him, he had a plan that he had the courage to stick with from the start. He didn’t get drawn into someone else’s race, and his plan was working. But, there are some things that cannot be controlled. If the AT situation would not have occurred, he would have finished with some time to spare. We were on pace to make up 30 minutes on the 4th loop. I was truly impressed by what he accomplished. In my DNF, I made several mental mistakes; my arrogance was my greatest enemy. He respected this course and the distance; his plan showed that respect. He just had an issue that was beyond his ability to control. So, when I give him words of encouragement, they are more than just trying to make him feel better. It was a good day, despite the DNF. I got a whole new perspective on ultras by working in the aid station. I saw some strong runners throw in the towel early; I saw some slow runners tough it out and get a buckle. I saw people at their lowest and highest points. I really enjoyed helping others.

LB2

moonlightrunner

It sounds like a very rewarding day.  I'm sure that your brother is disappointed...but it sounds like he ran a great race. Great of you to pace a stranger...you ultrarunners have big hearts!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the PR.  Sorry for your brother, but live to fight another day.  Nice job on picking up the extra assignment.

Maybe "Ice Nazi" was at the 2007 Chicago Marathon (hot as hell ran out of ice and water)..

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Thanks for the PR.  Sorry for your brother, but live to fight another day.  Nice job on picking up the extra assignment.

Maybe "Ice Nazi" was at the 2007 Chicago Marathon (hot as hell ran out of ice and water)..

Ha. If the Ice Nazi would have been there, you wouldn't have run out of ice. That was probably the result of the Ice Re-Distributor of Wealth Guy.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing.  I hope your bro is doing ok now.  Hope he won't have ongoing AT issues.  I also hope he lives to run another 100 - maybe redemption at next years RR!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Great race for your brother despite the DNF. Very strong to pick up the pace after 60 miles. I hope his AT is getting better without long-term injury.

Thanks for sharing the report, it gives a lot of insight into running 100's.

Run for fun.

Messenjah

I would like to ask the "Ice Re-Distributor of Wealth Guy" for $110 plus travel expenses back for that race........or let me punch him in the face repeatedly Big grin

Ha. If the Ice Nazi would have been there, you wouldn't have run out of ice. That was probably the result of the Ice Re-Distributor of Wealth Guy.

Occasional Runner

Bummer about your brother. It certainly sounds like he's the kind of guy that will come back strong. Thanks for sharing the report.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks for sharing LB2.  I am so glad you survivied the bear attack.  Sierra Trading Post has smartwool gloves on sale. Wink

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

LB2, saw your brother at DamNation on one of his loops, he looked good.  It was also nice to get a chance to talk at the S/F area before and after our pacing duties.  You guys looked like you were doing ok when I saw you out on the trail near DamNation. Too bad about the screwy thing with the achilles that happened a little later.  Sorry to hear about that.

Note to self, next time running in HSP if you see a half buried pair of gloves leave them alone.  Shocked

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Great RR. To bad for your brother but pretty cool you got to pick up some pacing duties to get back hot your car.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

LB2

Don't worry Sandy, Jimmy Hoffa will be found before those gloves. Also, I was very impressed with the lack of trash I found on the trail throughout the night. In a race like that, people are going to drop things along the way. I don't think there is any way around that, and maybe it got worse as the night wore on. However, I remember seeing alot more stuff on the ground last year.

I guess the most frustrating part of the whole thing is that everything just went south in a split second. It wasn't going to be a very good finishing time, but it was in the bag to come in under 30 hours. His plan was better than I thought it was. I was not aware that he gave it as much thought as he did in the area of pacing. Anyway, I think he learned many things. He'll be at Cajun Coyote, but he  will need to find someone to pace him there. I am running that one. I think you will like that course, too.

LB2

Ultra Cowboy

LB2 I have never read such an eloquent description of a Bear Attack.  Nailed it!

I think you performed very well in assessing your brothers condition and calling it.  So often we think of the pacers job to keep  prodding their runner, when sometimes they need to rein in to run another day.

The fact that you were in a position to help another runner is fortuitous in itself!  You are a good running citizen for sure!

WYBMADIITY

Save

bubba hotep

Bummer that your bro had to DNF but I'm sure that is a story the grand kids will get tired of hearing many years from now.  I talked to someone that knows you a while back and they mentioned your wife, how is she doing now?  Also, I was going to try and make it to B's 50k but he switched up the date on me and I can't make it that weekend.

And then there was blog