Trailer Trash

Suggestions for June 50-miler or 100k (Read 312 times)

I'm looking for a somewhat challenging 50-miler or 100k in June as I prepare for the Cascade Crest 100 in August.  I have some extra cash thanks to a birthday present from my folks, so I don't mind traveling (although I'd prefer something west of the Mississippi since I don't want to have to take a bunch of days off for travel).  I've looked in to the following, so if any one has run them (or has any more info), I'd love to hear it!  And if you have other suggestions than what I've provided, I'd love to hear about them as well.

June 1: Kettle Moraine 100k, WI (looks like Mandy might be there, so that's definitely a bonus!)

June 1: Squaw Peak 50, UT (this looks like a doozy; starts at 5,000 feet and tops out at 9,000!)

June 1: Pocatello 50, ID

June 15: Bighorn Mtn. 50, WY (starts at 8,800 feet, but descends down to just under 5,000, then climbs back up to just over 7,000)

June 29: Black Hills 50 or 100K, SD (deceptively challenging, from what I understand)

June 29: North Fork 50, CO (most of this is run at 7200 ft. or higher; may be a bit too much!)

I'm also going to cross-post this in the ultra forum.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I can't recommend KM enough.  My race report for the 100K is in my blog if you're interested.  And yes, I will be there in some way, shape, or form.  100K, 38 mile fun run, pacing, crewing, volunteering...who knows, but I'll be there!

What are you looking for in terms of your "hard"?  Kettle Moraine is not easy, but it's not mountainous by any means.  We have rollers in the Midwest.  There's a flatter 9 mile section in the middle of the race, but it's open and exposed through some grassy meadows and you pass through it during the heat of the day. 

Bighorn is supposed to be just amazingly beautiful.  That race is on my list.

Wisconsin is not exactly a typical destination place, but we have great beer here.  Wink  However, if you're going to make a trip to the Midwest for just one race, I'd send up you to Sawtooth in September.  (I know, I know, this has nothing to do with Cascade Crest.) 

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

Somewhat challenging? How about REAL challenging?   

San Juan Solstice in Lake City, Co.

I'll volunteer to pace you the last 10 miles as I have(ahem) some unfinished business there.  Way prettier than Bighorn. 

In terms of challenging, I'd say 7-8 on a scale of 10.  Cascade Crest is a biggie, so I want to be prepared.  That said, I don't want to get totally beat up during a training run. What I like about KM is that while it doesn't appear to be as challenging as the others, it is longer and has lots of upsy-downsies.  The others definitely have more sustained climbs, but they're 12 miles shorter.

As for the San Juan Solstice?  Gosh, I think I have to wash my hair that day Surprised

Love the suggestions; keep 'em coming!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Like Badger said in the ultra forum, KM terrain is very different from CC terrain.  (Badger is a super cool guy, by the way!  Knows his stuff.)  But yes, lots of ups and downs.  PUDS (pointless ups and downs.)  Really, it all depends on what you're looking to do for that run.  If you're looking for something that won't beat you up too badly, KM is a good choice.  But we definitely don't have mountains out here.  Not even close.

And Harrier tried to talk me into San Juan Solstice once too while we were running together.  Nutso, that one...  Big grin

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the Bighorns are really pretty and Sheridan is a nice little town Smile, haven't run the 50 (or any of their races), but have hiked numerous times in the area

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Weegee

Whoa!  I'd start lobbying for NorthernHarrier's suggestion of the San Juan Solstice run, but hopefully we'll be in the area a few weeks later.

KM is looking pretty fun.  Or maybe it's just the offer of good beer for your Athletic Supporter / Crew.

Whoa!  I'd start lobbying for NorthernHarrier's suggestion of the San Juan Solstice run, but hopefully we'll be in the area a few weeks later.

I was just going to come down and show you the elevation profile for the Solstice!  But as you state, keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to get some runs in in that area a couple weeks later. Wink

P.S.  As I just mentioned in the ultra forum, I'd like to pick a state I don't already have, so that eliminates the following:

Arizona

California

Florida (despite the fact it would have perfect terrain to prepare me for CCC... NOT!)

Maine

Massachusetts

Montana

Nevada

Oregon

Rhode Island

Tennessee

Texas (after February!)

Washington

The KM 100-miler looks very appealing, although I won't be able to run it this year (will require too much recovery during a peak training time for CCC).  So perhaps I should look at another race/state for my 50-miler knowing I'll probably cross of WI with the 100-miler some day!

Weegee

I was just going to come down and show you the elevation profile for the Solstice!  But as you state, keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to get some runs in in that area a couple weeks later. Wink

We really should talk more.

NorthernHarrier

Like Badger said in the ultra forum, KM terrain is very different from CC terrain.  (Badger is a super cool guy, by the way!  Knows his stuff.)  But yes, lots of ups and downs.  PUDS (pointless ups and downs.) 

PUDS is a very apt description. Running the Ice Age trail in the Kettles is very beautiful.... But that trail layout at times, well I would love to talk with the folks responsible. Up a drumlin or esker and then wind down only to come back up the same one and then spin around and do it again. When you go out there this time of year without the foliage and really stop and look at the layout. Well it's just mind-boggling. 

As far as the Bighorns, yes they are pretty and the race is very well organized and done right. The 50 mile event will have a significant elevation loss(point to point) with only 2 real climbs that are not all that difficult by western standards. I've done the 50k a couple times and well I'd rather not talk about my 50 miler there either.

Pocatello was a DNS for me this year because of my injury. My running bud still went out and told me it was very tough. Compared it to Meltzers race in Utah-the name escapes me right now.

Pocatello was a DNS for me this year because of my injury. My running bud still went out and told me it was very tough. Compared it to Meltzers race in Utah-the name escapes me right now.

Speedgoat 50K?

Thank you everyone for your ideas/comments/suggestions.  Really appreciate it!

xor

FWIW, Betsy, Speedgoat looks to be harder than Yakima Skyline.  It is a bad ass motherfucker.

Weegee

FWIW, Betsy, Speedgoat looks to be harder than Yakima Skyline.  It is a bad ass motherfucker.

There's almost nothing you could say about Speedgoat that would make me desire it more than this!

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I stuck this one on the ultra forum - Silver City Idaho 100k June 22 , the link icon won't come up for me here is the address

http://pickledfeetultras.com/scer/100k/