Trailer Trash

GPS Watch Suggestions (Read 25 times)

A friend is new to trail running and needs a GPS watch (such as a Garmin) with a good HR monitor and that tracks well in the trees.  I have a Garmin 310xt that I like, but it might be too big for her.  I'm 5'8 and she's around 5'4", 5'5".  With me trolling for hours on the 'net, any suggestions?

Thanks ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

NHLA

Garmin 235.  Easy to use. Works well.

runtraildc

I've used the Garmin 110 for about 6-7 years now and I've been really happy with it. It has been discontinued, but refurbished  ones are pretty cheap. I would consider it a good option for someone who's looking for a cost-effective, basic GPS.  I've also had very good customer service with Garmin when I've needed it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Keep Going

I prefer Suunto Ambit3. I used to use Garmin but switched as I was having "glitchy" issues with my 310xt and was in need of an upgrade. I think it tracks much better and is more accurate then Garmin products based on many of my friends running the same races as me with the Fenix 2 and or 3.

100 milers are my favorite

Sandy-2

I prefer Suunto Ambit3.

Hi Keystone, what battery life does it have? Do you recharge on-th-fly?

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

PADRunner

I've got a Garmin 235 It works great for everything except the HRM. Not sure if it's that I'm skinny or what it just does not work reliably for me.

Keep Going

Hi Keystone, what battery life does it have? Do you recharge on-th-fly?

Sandy the ambit3 will last 20 hrs on 1 second pings which is the best accuracy. So for a 100 I have to charge it on the fly with a usb charger but only one time. It will last 30 hrs on 10 second pings which is ok accuracy and probably good for most folks but I prefer the 20 hr track so I can analyze the data because I'm a nerd like that and I can't really do a 100 under 30 hrs anyway.  It also has a 200 hr mode which is 1 minute pings but is only really good for long and slow multi day hikes when you need your watch to last and have no power source. I can't imagine that mode is very accurate at all though really.

100 milers are my favorite

Sandy-2

Thanks for the info Bryan, I'm on the fence, but thinking about the Forerunner 230.

fatozzig:  Here are two websites, the first one has a good list, because to me the longest battery life and being able to recharge on-the-fly is the most important. Maybe a little overkill for what your friend is looking for.

http://runallthetrails.com/2015/03/best-gps-watch-for-ultrarunning/

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/winter-sports-gadget-recommendations.html

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL