Trailer Trash

Looking for early summer race or run adventure suggestions (Read 35 times)

moonlightrunner

I need special incentive to get back out and train again. Between life difficulties, the recent wrist fracture and the freakishly cold weather i can barely be classified as a runner. I would appreciate race or run adventure suggestions. It has to be Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota or Pennsylvania. I like unusual terrain. I am from SW Michigan....so almost anything will qualify as unusual. I love water and swamps and a tecnical challenge. Such things make me feel my slow pace is justfied! Race length could be marathon or above, although i am looking at Rothrock. I really dont want to run races that involve much more than crossing roads. I have a severe allergy to pavement.

Any suggestions of races or destinations to give me a good focus would be greatly appreciated.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

NorthernHarrier

Well I think it would be great if you did Rothrock. It looks like a pretty cool event so just sign up, OK. See ya there! 

For an epic adventure run I would recommend a point to point at the Pictured Rocks. It would be one of the most incredible runs you'll ever do. And if you want to do it one of the last two wknds in June I could maybe join you and we could work a shuttle.  There is a shuttle bus that runs the road the length of the lakeshore that picks people up at trail access points.

Gator eye

Check out Marquette trail in August. It's a cross between mountain climbing and a great run through the forest.

moonlightrunner

Harrier: i am not sure if you would want to run with me, I am pretty slow! How many miles is it? Is it well marked and difficult to get lost. I have a terrible sense of direction. I get lost very easily.

GGator: if i do pictured rocks i could do the Marquette also. Maybe a 4 day trip to the area. I have friends in Munising i could stay with. Is the trail you speak of well marked?

NorthernHarrier

Well I am very slow myself. Old, crippled, and slow.     But this is an outstanding solo run. Total distance from point to point is 42 miles but I would suggest an alternate start and finish of about 30 miles and that way you are able to take in the quality of the shoreline w/o exhausting yourself  needlessly.  Start at Miners Castle and run to an area called Log Slide. Epic run for 30 miles and there is a hiker shuttle to bring you back or vice versa.  This entire trail is now a segment of the North Country trail, is well marked, easy to follow, and you will bump into some backpackers and dayhikers.   You also can't get lost as there is this big pond to your left the entire way.  Google it up as there is tons of info, pics, maps, etc.  I will be doing it again at some point this upcoming season.

Gator eye

NH- I did some snowshoeing on the north country trail a couple weeks ago while in Marquette visiting my daughter, what a great trail system. Planning on a summer trip for a two or three day hiking trip, just trying to figure out how to get to the car without doubling back.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I love water and swamps and a tecnical challenge. 

Pretty much any trail event in PA incorporates these.  Rothrock is a good choice but certainly not marathon+ mileage (as you know). But technical it is and will slow you (and me) down.  Looks like there might be a nice RA contingency there.

Do you have family in PA? Just wondering because that a long way to come for just a race.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

moonlightrunner

No family there. It is a little longer drive than I want...but almost anything (even in Michigan) seems to be a long drive. Just trying to find fun...lots of it. It will be fun to spend some time just for me.