Trailer Trash

R2R2R fkt shattered! (Read 32 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Jim Walmsley shattered the previous record of Rob Krar by 26 minutes, finishing in under 6 hours!!  That's even faster than my speedy 14 hour finish

http://trailrunnermag.com/people/news/2311-jim-walmsley-destroys-grand-canyon-double-crossing-record?utm_source=Email_marketing&utm_campaign=Thursday_March_24_2016&cmp=1&utm_medium=HTMLEmail

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

some call me Tim

Incredible!

Here's some video of the turnaround and return descent

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting this. Gonna watch the entire video when I have the time.

AT-runner

Tim

Pretty amazing. He had more people along the way than Krar did in his attempt.  The person following could only keep up until the bridge above Roaring Springs.

I think we left the North Rim around 5:20 into our R2R2R, so we probably weren't even to Supai Tunnel by the time he would have finished. Amazing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Pretty amazing. He had more people along the way than Krar did in his attempt.  The person following could only keep up until the bridge above Roaring Springs.

I think we left the North Rim around 5:20 into our R2R2R, so we probably weren't even to Supai Tunnel by the time he would have finished. Amazing.

Link to unedited video

Here is a link to Jamil's unedited video that follows him the first 3 miles back down.  Jamil Coury (the video-ographer) has done wonders for the trail/ultra community in AZ and the southwest.  He and his brother (Nick) founded Aravaipa Running and also Run Steep Get High).  Jamil (and Nick) are both damned good ultra runners in their own right.  I love the unedited video because it shows the fluidity that both Jim and Jamil run with (remember Jamil was packing a camera heading down North Kaibab) running step for step with Jim.  Obviously Jim is the "better" runner but Jamil is certainly no slouch and I'm sure could have hung with Jim much further than he chose.  The video also shows the beauty of the North Rim that so few people see because of its remote location.

His Strava data

A few things that really impressed me with Jim's FKT:

He left at 4:30 AM which meant running down SK via headlamp and he was hitting sub 7 minute pace.  For those who've been on SK before let that sink in.  My ankles break just thinking about it.  I'm lucky to hit 11-12 minute pace going down because of the steep decent coupled with ruts from mules and cross ties to prevent erosion.

He made it up SK in about 90 minutes.  That's 6.5 miles climbing 4800 feet after running 35 miles. F/cking impressive!  My fastest time up SK is 3 hours and it took me 4 coming up SK when I did my R2R2R

His nonchalant attitude when he made it to the north side.  "I'm just debating if I want to go. I just got 1 record.  I wasn't expecting it.  The climb out is going to be completely awful."

Damn, I can't wait to get back.  Spring can't come soon enough.

You people have issues 

AT-runner

Tim

His Strava data

A few things that really impressed me with Jim's FKT:

He left at 4:30 AM which meant running down SK via headlamp and he was hitting sub 7 minute pace.  For those who've been on SK before let that sink in.  My ankles break just thinking about it.  I'm lucky to hit 11-12 minute pace going down because of the steep decent coupled with ruts from mules and cross ties to prevent erosion.

He made it up SK in about 90 minutes.  That's 6.5 miles climbing 4800 feet after running 35 miles. F/cking impressive!  My fastest time up SK is 3 hours and it took me 4 coming up SK when I did my R2R2R

His nonchalant attitude when he made it to the north side.  "I'm just debating if I want to go. I just got 1 record.  I wasn't expecting it.  The climb out is going to be completely awful."

Damn, I can't wait to get back.  Spring can't come soon enough.

That's what my friends and I were amazed at.  We left at the approximately same time (it was April, so we had a bit more early light) and the shadows from the light really made us take our time so we didn't face plant.  At 7 minutes per miles pace he had so little time to adjust to the switchbacks and big drops. Just an awesome time.

Love his line about "hoping to avoid a major bonk".

AT-runner

Tim

Link to unedited video

Here is a link to Jamil's unedited video that follows him the first 3 miles back down.  Jamil Coury (the video-ographer) has done wonders for the trail/ultra community in AZ and the southwest.  He and his brother (Nick) founded Aravaipa Running and also Run Steep Get High).  Jamil (and Nick) are both damned good ultra runners in their own right.  I love the unedited video because it shows the fluidity that both Jim and Jamil run with (remember Jamil was packing a camera heading down North Kaibab) running step for step with Jim.  Obviously Jim is the "better" runner but Jamil is certainly no slouch and I'm sure could have hung with Jim much further than he chose.  The video also shows the beauty of the North Rim that so few people see because of its remote location.

My comment was no disrespect to the videographer, it was meant to say how amazingly Jim was moving over (as you know) some gnarly terrain.

Jamil is a great runner as well.  Thanks for the link. I'd only seen the shorter one.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

My comment was no disrespect to the videographer, it was meant to say how amazingly Jim was moving over (as you know) some gnarly terrain.

Jamil is a great runner as well.  Thanks for the link. I'd only seen the shorter one.

it's all good.

You people have issues 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

For those interested, here is Jim's full run report for his R3 FKT

You people have issues 

Daydreamer1

Interesting reading. That dude is down right skinny.  Must put in a lot of work to run like that and maintain that weight. Makes you wonder if he'll be another burnout in the next few years or if he'll be able to stick around for years like Jurek and Meltzer.

LB2

Interesting reading. That dude is down right skinny.  Must put in a lot of work to run like that and maintain that weight. Makes you wonder if he'll be another burnout in the next few years or if he'll be able to stick around for years like Jurek and Meltzer.

I hope he breaks that WSER record before he burns out. It is hard to say what will happen regarding burn out. Meltzer, in my opinion, will go down as the ultimate 100 mile mountain guy. When you think about it, it is truly amazing how long he has been at it and is still competitive in races that have brutally tough terrain. I think he won MMT last year.

LB2