Trailer Trash

Terrific Tuesdays (Read 49 times)

Runinaround

Walked 4 miles at lunch yesterday and will probably run a slow and steady 5-6 miles at lunch today with a co worker.

QOTD: I like to share my enthusiasm with close family and friends, but ive made it a point to not talk about my running and up coming races lately. Last time I mentioned a 50K i had coming up my work threw a party for me, my friends thought I was nuts and it seem a though everyone expected me to win Confused. I usually only post pictures from various runs on Facebook and try to avoided mentioning workouts, milage and races, thats what I use this forum for.

Occasional Runner

Laceup: Its tough to beat Jamaica.  Have you done Dunn River Falls?  I'd recommend it.

I've driven by it several times when we used to go to Runaway Bay but it was always crowded. We stay in Negril now, so Ricks's Cafe is the place to be.

QOTD: How can you have a conversation about finishing a 100 mile race (or several) without it sounding a little like bragging?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got nothing today.  Call it rest, call it sleeping in, call it trying to maintain or heal nagging injuries....Sad

lace - anyone who does finish 100 miles has the right to brag.

Having said that I don't bring up running too much at work - a few people know I run but really have no clue as to the areas I am running or the types of races I like.  I try not to brag but when it comes out, but I am sure if sounds like it.  "Oh yeah I ran a 50k this weekend, with 100,000ft of climbing!!!....I am a bit sore.  What did you do this weekend?"(what I would like to say after people complain about 2 miles of treadmill stuff they did over the weekend)

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Ultra Cowboy

Last night's attempt at running brought on a coughing fit that then evoked my gag reflex and I cut the run short at 10 minutes.  I really feel like I have not run for 3 months...I'll try again tonight.

As for the QOTD, Sometimes it is hard to avoid pointed questions from people about my running.  A lot of my running friends are on FB so pictures of me get tagged pretty often.  I've turned off the Map my run reporting app on FB.  I try not to wear my 50k shirt to the local 5k's.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Birdwell

QOTD: most of my friends know I run. I post monthly totals on FB, but that's mainly to keep myself accountable. I also have a number of friends with running goals, and we like to track easy other.  Family and coworkers know I run, but we don't discuss it.

Rocky, funny you mention the shirt thing. I've got a 5k next weekend, and I'm really looking forward to wearing my 55k shirt to it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Busy busy here, lots of posts. I can hardly keep up with the reading!

Got my run in, and even though it felt pretty relaxed, I PR'd on that route by more than 10 minutes. Must have been the rain!

Sandy: Nice pictures. I love Paris - but right now, I can do without more snow!

DD1: Yes, that's the icy trail. That's also the one I came down recently, "waterfall" style Black eye.

QOTD: I rarely talk about my running, except with my husband and my running buddies.  When someone mentions they run, I ask them about their running, and usually don't mention much about mine. Only if they ask, I answer their questions.

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

Rainsong Tuesday here... upon us all a little rain must fall.

I took advantage of the first evening of DST and mild temps to run LadyB on the trails over at French Creek for 10 miles last night. We added fire tower hill to our normal loop to get some additional miles and hill slogging. Pretty much had the place to ourselves. Saw 2 hikers who seemed surprised to see anyone else as well. Trying to figure out a window of time today to get in a short road run. My calendar is lit up with conference calls most all day until 7pm. I just need an open hour to get a short run in.

QOTD: I can talk about running to runners but try to avoid it in normal conversation. I use the word "stupid" a lot. I know it's not, but explaining to someone who doesn't run that you run 50k, 50 miles, or more for "fun", well it's hard for them to understand. 

Lace_up: Where do you run in Negril? I just ran the coastal road out past Rick's when I was there. Even at sunrise the humidity was stifling. Locals would often try to sell me ganja and funnier yet was seeing someone heading towards you with a machete or speargun. 

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

Lace_up: Where do you run in Negril? I just ran the coastal road out past Rick's when I was there. Even at sunrise the humidity was stifling. Locals would often try to sell me ganja and funnier yet was seeing someone heading towards you with a machete or speargun. 

We stay at a resort on 7mile beach, so I run an out and back down the beach every morning. I try to get out there before it get's too hot out, but it's still pretty tough to run in the humidity, even if it's only 72 degrees out. I found that running with earbuds in is a great way to encourage people not to try to talk to you.

XtremeTaper

We stay at a resort on 7mile beach, so I run an out and back down the beach every morning. I try to get out there before it get's too hot out, but it's still pretty tough to run in the humidity, even if it's only 72 degrees out. I found that running with earbuds in is a great way to encourage people not to try to talk to you.

Yeah, I thought about running on the beach when I was there but I generally don't like beach running. It seems you go nowhere fast.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Snowdenrun

I cut out a bit early yesterday from work and decided to get a run in. My dog hadn't been walked yet and looked so sad when I was getting ready so I took her with me. She is a pathetic runner! I went slow(for me) and let her kind of set the pace so I wouldn't wear her out at the beginning  But she just kept stopping and wouldn't go anymore. By the time we made it to the trail where I let her off the leash she did much better where she could run, sniff, run, pee, run, sniff. Maybe I need to be a lot more consistent about running with her so she learns the difference between a run and a walk?

QOTD: IMO bragging is never humble even if it is "humble bragging". But in general I don't talk to people about my running. Mainly because no one really gets it. One of my coworkers will occasionally ask me how far I went when we have passed each other on the trails. But for the most part I get my running talk out online. And I make my boyfriend listen, but normally he just nods along and I know I'm talking to myself. Smile

Howdy y'all. I'm planning on 6 after work, hopefully the rain lets up cause I'm just not feeling it today.

QOTD:  I do not deliberately bring it up with non-running friends/ co-workers, but running happens to come up a lot in conversation anyway in the groups of people I spend time with. I will discuss my training habits when asked about them, and will elaborate as to why I can't stay out til 2 AM and get drunk on a Friday night  (because I'm running 20 miles the next morning.) That tends to shut down any protests. But at the same time, I'm not one to try to significantly down play my running accomplishments. I think it's important to be proud of what we do, and how much time and effort goes into it.  I've given up on trying to explain WHY I would want to run an ultra...that's just a hopeless cause at this point.

muppy

Did 12 this afternoon.

A first for me, was on the rail trail and had to stop at a road so an Amish buggy could go by!

QOTD I try not to talk running with too many people, Unless they asked me about it and I'm more than happy to bore them to death about my running.

DigDug2

6 on the TM at lunch.

QOTD:  I talk about my running with family, friends, and co-workers - not too much, but that's because I'm not the chattiest person, not because I don't want to brag.  I guess I've never thought of talking about my running as even close to bragging - I just talk about it in the way that other people talk about their hobbies or family or vacations or whatever.

I tried to do a tempo run this morning, almost 5 miles around a nice trail loop. I'm don't really know what a tempo is supposed to feel like, so I just ran fast. I get easy, and I get long, you just go run around in the woods until you have to head back home. This run required constant focus on maintaining effort. There were parts that were fun, where I felt like I was flying down the trail effortlessly, but mostly it was exercise in constant fine tuning of pace, trying to stay just below working too hard. I think I like intervals better. But now that I have a baseline for that loop, I can see if I'm improving, and I probably need to keep doing this if I want to get faster.

qotd: everyone knew about my 50k attempt in February, though only a few people asked about how I was training for it. So, not much talk about running, just a lot of support for trying to achieve a goal.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D