Trailer Trash

Muggy Monday (Read 36 times)

Chnaiur

I chose to start the race and had Jo ready to pick me up at a predetermined spot. I ran the trail and enjoyed every bit of it. When I got to Jo, I hopped in the car and went to the finish line to cheer for everybody. I'm glad I made that choice.

Great call to do it that way!

I've had too many injuries to say I prefer DNF. When I'm in a race its really hard for me to quit, but I still really regret it when I get injured. So, I'd much rather feel good about making a wise decision to DNS, than a stupid decision to start and then get injured.

Oh, and today I'm doing 3 miles followed by deadlifts and bench press.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Daydreamer1

Worked last night, came home and went to bed and slept longer then I wanted to. I was planning on 7-8 miles but it's cold again and the wind is blowing so I think it'll be an hour on the trainer and 30 minutes on the elliptical.

QOTD: DNF or DFL. When I start something, and for me the race starts when I sign up, I like to try to finish it. I'd rather try and fail then not try at all as I'll probably learn something.

LB2

QOTD: Good timing on that question! I had to make that decision over the weekend. I knew I wasn't in any condition to be running an ultra but I didn't want to DNS. I chose to start the race and had Jo ready to pick me up at a predetermined spot. I ran the trail and enjoyed every bit of it. When I got to Jo, I hopped in the car and went to the finish line to cheer for everybody. I'm glad I made that choice.

I was wondering how Elephant Mt. was. During my bad spell, I actually thought, "Kelly is probably done with Elephant Mt. by now." I guess you were. Hope you feel better soon.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Well I am back in the Smokies since it is my last week off work with my broken hand so I am living it up a little. Upgraded to an even nicer hotel but still with these insane off season rates. Nice. Where else could I go to have more temps, incredible trails and scenery, and such cheap lodging? If i get snow this time I may just hop in the car and head to the gulf!

Just got back from a beastly 16 miles in them there mountains. I am trashed so I think I'll grab a beer and head to the hot tub. Try not to feel sorry for me. 

QOTD-- Some of you guys crack me up, like there is some sort of dishonor in a DNF.  If I go to an event where I pay money, it is timed, and there is a start/finish line I am racing usually. That means I have trained for that event and now I am going to try to challenge myself against the course, the clock, and the distance. True racing in these distances all about managing your output to go as fast as you can without blowing up. I never wanted to finish an event with plenty in the tank, on the contrary I want to be running on fumes when I finish. That was the same back in the day in 10k's to running long trail events.  When I was running 38 minute 10k's I still blew up in an occasional race and did a death march in. In a 10K! Win some and you lose some.

Getting a DNF for me just meant that I didn't manage things as well as I should have and instead of doing that stupid death march in I took an opportunity to bail out so I would have a quicker recovery. I've done plenty of events to prove I'm tough and I've got a number of DNF's to prove I'm smart.

If you never lay it out there on the line you will probably never DNF,  that's very safe. My respect goes to the people that challenge themselves and take some risks'.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Rest day....

QOTD-- Some of you guys crack me up, like there is some sort of dishonor in a DNF.  If you never lay it out there on the line you will probably never DNF,  that's very safe. My respect goes to the people that challenge themselves and take some risks'.

QOTD:  I am with Harrier..I even got confused as to what DNS and DNF stood for because I was surprised some said they would rather a DNS.  So my answer would be DNF..I had a DNF  it has totally fueled me to work through the tough time next run.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Chnaiur

Rest day....

QOTD:  I am with Harrier..I even got confused as to what DNS and DNF stood for because I was surprised some said they would rather a DNS.  So my answer would be DNF..I had a DNF  it has totally fueled me to work through the tough time next run.

Interesting debate. My issue with DNF is that I can only imagine doing one as a cause of injury. But maybe I'm an older, wider man now and could actually be in a race and quit before that happened.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Bjorn...if you were a "wider" man you may have a higher chance of DNF.  I said the same thing along time ago and John M scolded us young ins for being naïve...I then quit a race that I was not injured in.  The feelings of quitting may . make me stick with it next time.

On a lighter note..what are your plans for Tehama Wildflowers?  We are thinking of going and camping the night before,

Interesting debate. My issue with DNF is that I can only imagine doing one as a cause of injury. But maybe I'm an older, wider man now and could actually be in a race and quit before that happened.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Getting a DNF for me just meant that I didn't manage things as well as I should have and instead of doing that stupid death march in I took an opportunity to bail out so I would have a quicker recovery. I've done plenty of events to prove I'm tough and I've got a number of DNF's to prove I'm smart.

If you never lay it out there on the line you will probably never DNF,  that's very safe. My respect goes to the people that challenge themselves and take some risks'.

Good point, I agree. I have not had a DNF yet, but that's only because I have not run many races yet. I've bailed out in training runs, even when I meant to take them seriously, and I've also spent myself to the point where - without "injury" - I was unable to go any further, meaning I did not manage my  resources well, or I overestimated my endurance and strength. It happens.

There's no shame in a DNF, and no shame in a DNS, either. Starting while knowing you are not going to finish means you are either giving it a try, or making best use of the money and time you have spent getting ready for  the event, while fighting the odds. Not starting at all often means good judgement in favor over knowingly hurting yourself (and not just your pride).

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

On a lighter note..what are your plans for Tehama Wildflowers?  We are thinking of going and camping the night before,

No real plans for lodging yet - I'm still trying to convince my wife to come up together with me so the boys can see me finish. Although her experience last time was mixed as she took a wrong turn and got some barbed wire wrapped around the rear axle of the car in a really mosquito-infested area near the river. She had to hike out of there with a 10-month old and a 2-year-old. Things turned better when the amazingly nice people at the finish line rallied to help her out, and then they had a great time hanging out.

Maybe camping could be a way to get the family to come. I'm going alone it would be cool to camp together for sure. Do you know any nice campgrounds around there?

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Maybe camping could be a way to get the family to come. I'm going alone it would be cool to camp together for sure. Do you know any nice campgrounds around there?

You can pitch a tent right at the start of the race.  Pretty sure it was dry camping with the potta potties.  I was there in 2012 and it looked like a nice place to camp and then wake up at the starting line...no stress.

Chnaiur

You can pitch a tent right at the start of the race.  Pretty sure it was dry camping with the potta potties.  I was there in 2012 and it looked like a nice place to camp and then wake up at the starting line...no stress.

Sweet - it is really nice there! Will bring this up with the government.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS