Trailer Trash

A tale of two races... (Read 21 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A tale of two races…

I hit the car and headed home having ended the day with two races completed and a total of 46.6 miles and no sleep. I was not tired until I started the drive home…but I spent the 90 minute drive contemplating the previous 21 hours:

Saturday morning DS1 (11 years old) and I ran our first road 5k. Last summer we ran a mud run and after both stating we would never do that again, I promised him a road 5k where you do not get dirty, get a t-shirt, and they time the race. So there we were at the starting area with lots of runners stretching, warming up, and milling around. I couldn't help but think that in 9+ hours I would be running what I really wanted to run – a 12-hour trail race. But first things first. Time to get the 5k done. Our training had been minimal. I could not seem to get DS1 to go beyond 2 miles. It wasn’t because he was not capable but he didn’t want to take the time. I was leery how this would go. For an 8:30am start, it was already hot and humid. I originally thought it was a shaded course but boy was I wrong! We started off way too fast. DS1 got caught up in the fast people sprinting out. We ended up running a 8:20 first mile but this was way faster than anything we did in training so I knew it would not last. After walk breaks, whining about the heat, and a few moments of seeing his potential we crossed the finish line in 31Tight lippedx. I had hoped for something in the range of 27-29 but without much training, I will take this.

I spent the rest of the day trying to stay out of the heat to rest up. I headed north later in the afternoon. I hit the site of the Montour 24 race site. There was a 24-hour race occurring simultaneously with a 12-hour day version. I got to watch the carnage as many people were walking. I was not surprised as it was still 98 degrees at 6pm!

During the intro to the night time 12-hour race, the RD asked who had done the race before trying to find out who knew the course. Of the 20 of us, only one raised his hand. The RD said “ok then, follow him!” The course was easy though and a great loop for a timed race. It was a combination of trail and field – had a bit of a cross-country feel to it.

I went into this race having never done a timed race and very unsure about it. I thought I would get bored of the same loop. But somehow I didn’t. I ended up naming the sections of the 1.5 mile loop to help myself identify the sections and take “mental notes”. There is "race central" which consisted of the start/stop (beeping mats and all), the aid station, music, posted updates, a sprinkler, and most important -port-a-potties. The first section of trail I called the "creek-side" trail. It is relatively non-technical and followed the creek. After crossing the creek that had numerous frogs chirping overnight, there was “the climb”. It was nothing compared to other climbs in PA races. It was steep but short. This led to the what I called the “back 9”. It was a long and gradual downhill along the back side of the loop. It was up the mountain to the right and about 30 feet down to the creek on the right. But it was wide enough to easily pass. This section led to the covered bridge back over the creek which dumped us onto a short rail trail and then down into the "den of roots". The only technical part of the course was short but at night with my poor depth perception, I handled the ups and downs, the roots and very fine dust with caution. Once through this section, we came upon “tent city”. The course wound through a field that had dozens of tents and camps set up. This tent city trail snaked around until we were back at race central.

The twenty of us in the night race headed out at 7pm. It was still very hot but you could see the evidence of the sun going behind the mountain. Some of the 24-hour runners made comments such as “freshman!” or “it’s the night shift”. We blasted up the trail. It was fun on the first loop discovering what we would be running loop after loop. My goal for this race was at least 20 loops (30 miles) and then I would re-evaluate how I felt. After a 13:29 first loop, I knew that was too fast. But it was so much fun! I continued on with a good pace and blasted the first 8 loops in 2:03. I felt somewhat bad through the first few loops because many of the 24 hour runners were walking – with some looking like the walking dead. The crazy heat and humidity really affected them. After 8 loops, I moved into a pattern of sitting for 10-20 minutes to relax, eat, and hydrate before I headed out again for 3 loops. This was mostly my strategy for the rest of the race. Loop 16, after a rest I decided to walk the entire loop. I contemplated using this method every few loops. It never really materialized this way. While I walked some portions, I was feeling good and ran most of it. I was through 20 loops (30 miles) in 6:45. I felt good and had already assessed in the previous loops that I would not stop at 20. My new goal was for 27 loops (40.5 miles). This was only supposed to be a training run for me so I needed to try and not push the mileage too much. This race posts the current mileage every hour as well as updates the website. It was hard not to look to see where I was. I hovered around 5th – 8th place most of the night. Now while I was not considering this to be any more than a training run, it was hard to ignore the competition.  *In the end, I finshed 11th mainly due to ending my night at 10:20 of the 12 hours.

In the loops after 20, I ended up latching onto a strong runner. She would pass me and say “good job” and be on her way. I ended up following her “blinking red light” on her back and she pulled me through at least 6 loops. While she didn’t know it, she helped me a lot. I am not completely sure, but I think she was the winner of the 12-hour night version at 41 loops (61.5 miles). She was very consistent. I learned from her that the key to doing well in races like this was that consistency. Only 7 of her 41 loops were over 20 minutes and none of them over 23 minutes. This meant she was not hanging around much. Anyways, thank you for helping!

Once I got to loop 27, I decided I was done. But I also decided I wasn’t. I tacked on two loops just for fun. But they were really not fun. I should have ended at 27. I also ended my night short of the 12 hours. I was done in 10:20 and happy with the mileage and effort. I packed it up and drove home.

On the drive home at 5:30 am, I did everything I could to stay awake. I thought about both races and happy with each. I was proud of DS1. I think he enjoys running – maybe not as much as I do but he likes it. I also wondered if I should have finished the 12 hours. I felt good enough to get near 50 miles. But in the end, I did what I intended which was to get a good training run out of it.

This event was good. No, actually it was great. I never thought I would enjoy a timed event. But it was well organized and in a beautiful location. I imagine I could run a bit faster/more in the day version since my depth perception is poor at night but the difference in temps also made a big difference.

I imagine I will be back, maybe someday to do the 24-hour version. I am now a fan of timed races.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Nice work on the timed event. What do you have coming up that you did a 40+ mile training run?

LB2

XtremeTaper

The one thing that is so great about the timed events is that they are logistically so easy. I've only done time races with longer loops (5 trail miles, Labor Pains, Whispering Pines) but even in those you really get to know the loop.

Anyway.. Congratulations... that is a full day of running. You chose wisely with the night version though methinks you should have stuck it out for a few more laps and 50 miles!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job. Sounds like you got the better end of the draw.

I had a few friends out there.  Lou Maza (LouinPA from RWOL) did the 24. He walks the whole time and did 70 miles. Looks like a lot of the 24 hr runners went out too fast and then crashed (just like Sole Challenge 24)  Lou said the temps were the same as Sole Challenge (we had 108 heat index) but welcomed the little shade you guys had.  Saw Serge was at 60+ miles in 12 hours and finished with 108. The winning relay team had 2 Gettysburg runners on it and they were fried running every 4 hours.

Timed events can be fun.  I know what you mean about feeling guilty for ending early. I usually run 31 or 35 miles at Labor Pains and always feel funny when we leave.  My first 24 hour, I wanted to run 100k, and stopped when I hit 65 miles. When I slept a bit, I felt really guilty for being in the tent even though I hit my goal.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This event was good. No, actually it was great. I never thought I would enjoy a timed event. But it was well organized and in a beautiful location. I imagine I could run a bit faster/more in the day version since my depth perception is poor at night but the difference in temps also made a big difference.

I imagine I will be back, maybe someday to do the 24-hour version. I am now a fan of timed races.

Another convert! Lots of great fixed time events out there. Have you run the Labor Pain 12-hour yet? 5-mile loop mostly single track. I like that idea of naming sections of the loop. We have a few named landmarks at NC 24 but haven't named the sections yet. I bailed on On the Rocks, too hot for me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

I'm glad it went well for you.  I love your description of the course. I deleted my version of it in my RR and just referenced yours.  I never even considered naming the sections.  There were quite a few posts on FB where people talked about the frogs and other night sounds. Next year I might have to sign up for the 24 hour just so I can experience that.

AT- I saw quite a bit of Lou. Of course I didn't know him or that he was a friend of yours or I would have introduced myself.  He can walk far faster then I can.  Those relay guys were moving when they would come by.  Just a whoosh and they were gone.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I completely forgot to include my chaffing issue.  Today's daily reminded me!  So for the first time during a run, I had chaffing issues in areas I never have before.  Thankfully, by the suggestion in the RD's last email I went out and bought Vaseline on the way to the race.  It was a race saver.  I probably would have ended around 30 miles if not for this gem.

AT - After looking at a picture of the winning relay team (168ish miles), I now realize why I was so confused.  I kept seeing these super fast guys pass me along the trail  all night (and knew they were not 12 hour runners) but I couldn't figure out why I only saw them for a lap or two.  It's because they were doing the relay!!!   DD commented that this would be a good race to do as a relay team.  I now concur.  It would be fun to set up camp and relay it.  Anyone???

wc - you would like this course.  Next year maybe.  I have considered Labor Pains every year but never pulled the trigger.  It's not an ideal time of year for me.  But now that I am more of a fan of the timed event, one of these years...

LB - I am running Oil Creek 100k in early October.

XT - yes, I should have kept going.  I felt good enough to hit close to 50.

Keep Going

Great job Jamie! Sounds like you had a very successful day.This was my first timed event last year and I was shocked at how fun it was! I did the 12 hr day again this year and received a thorough beat down from the heat and really only did 6 hrs then drank beer and cheered on friends.

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Great job Jamie! Sounds like you had a very successful day.This was my first timed event last year and I was shocked at how fun it was! I did the 12 hr day again this year and received a thorough beat down from the heat and really only did 6 hrs then drank beer and cheered on friends.

A wise choice under the conditions.  Were you still there at 6pm? I looked for you but did not see anyone that I thought resembled you.

AT-runner

Tim

AT- I saw quite a bit of Lou. Of course I didn't know him or that he was a friend of yours or I would have introduced myself.  He can walk far faster then I can.  Those relay guys were moving when they would come by.  Just a whoosh and they were gone.

Lou had a hip replacement and can't run, so he walks. He was a regular poster on RWOL for many years.

My friend Joe C was on the relay.  He said they had a stud that was running sub 7's, so must have been a blur when he went by at hour 14. Joe was running low to mid 8's.

Scott F was there for the 12hr day. He was probably wearing very short shorts and a funny bandanna.  He really crashed in the heat. He finished second to me at Sole Challenge and does 4-5 timed events each year.

Wendy M was cruising along and had over 46.5 miles at 12hr mark and then crashed. She finished with 70.  Looks like she camped out for 4 hours at one point.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Nice 2fer Jamie.  Great that you got to run with your son. I don't know, I've never done a timed event, but doing lots of small loops might drive me crazy after a while.  But I do appreciate the mental fortitude it must take to run by the S/F (and car) so many times.

Congrats on both runs!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job..never interested in a timed event but you guys may have convinced me to try it. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄