Trailer Trash

Leftover Weekender (Read 16 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 8 windy miles, mostly on the road, with DW. Watching some football and then going to see  "It's a Wonderful Life" at the small local theater tonight.

QOTD - pass

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Had a miserably busy three nights at work. Came home dead tired this morning and fell into bed and died for a few hours.  I snuck (or sneaked ) some paperwork home from work so I didn't have to stay late. When I finally got on the computer and saw no one had posted yet I figured that either everyone was still passed out from too much goodies on Thursday or too much shopping on black Friday .

No run for me today. First I'm feel far too tired to move that fast, secondly we have a family gathering with my BIL's family. He died this past spring but this would be his birthday and they always had a shrimp and oyster feast on his birthday and they are continuing the tradition but inviting other family members as well.  I'm sure I'll overeat.

QOTD:  Are you the grammar police or do you not really care how yourself or others speak or write?

I really police myself, especially when writing.  When I typed "snuck" above it was flagged by the program so I had to look it up. Apparently sneaked is preferred, but snuck is acceptable. I'm always looking things up like this and some people make fun of me because even in my texts  I try to have mostly proper grammar.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Got in five just before the rain came.

Qotd:  you read my shit...you know hiw bad my grammar is!!! And spelling 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Hi all.  Got in just under 6 this morning with the group. Was good to run with others and push a bit on the pace and the hills. The route was on roads and paved trail, but it's deceptively hilly.

qotd: A little bit grammar cop when it comes to spelling and typos. I'll go back and notice my typos and correct them. I had an old boyfriend who was a terrible speller.  It bugged me. 

NHLA

8 miles on fire rd 5050. Winter views on this run are OMG. You can see 50 miles on both sides of the mt.

There is one spot where you stop mid stride and go Wow!  1300' climb.

Went to Gatlinburg for thanksgiving with sis. They have a lot more bear than we have here.

qotd  f---- the grammar police unless they are a school teacher. They can't help it.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Slowly coming back from an injury aggravated in my last 5K a couple weeks ago. Up to 3.8 miles today, mostly jogging easy with some walking.

qotd: I lean to the side of grammar police. I do go back and correct grammar and spelling errors in my own posts and usually make note of those by others. I don't usually go so far as to point them out unless I can turn it into a joke or pun.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Going to head out for a 5 mile run in a little bit. Gotta catch up on some things around the house that I was too tired to do yesterday.

QOTD Followup: Don't get concerned about your grammar in your posts. This is a fun place so I police my posts not yours .  The writings that I really dissect are the supposedly professionally written articles that a grade school kid could have written better.

AT-runner

Tim

No run today (Sunday) but did an early morning walk on the beach. DW and I had the Atlantic Ocean coastline all to ourselves. Very nice out but a bit cold on the walk back as we walked into a strong headwind. Now heading back home.

QOTD: like George, I go back and check my posts. When I use the phone, I get auto-corrected a lot, and many times it's wrong. I do get a chuckle out of some funny typos, Like when Queen says something like "I did 6 mikes today", but that's because I have a sick sense of humor .

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I got in a couple of good runs this weekend. I just finished a nice tempo five miler in 39:55 (tempo for me) through the woods. My goal pace was 40 minutes flat; I was right there.

QOTD: Well, I am an English teacher. I normally move on, but sometimes, I can't control my impulses to correct something. However, I think that if the message is clear from the writing grammar is secondary.

LB2

Sandy-2

Did 12 on Sat and 10 this morning.  Something is still not right with my lower back, but it's slowly getting better.  It sort of binds up after about 9 miles or so and then my form goes all to hell.  Plus I am compensating right from the start and my legs are shot before too long.  I'm doing more core and back stuff as well as stretching, so I think that is what is helping. In short I'm a mess, but keep plugging along.

Went to a friend's lake house yesterday, lots of fun hanging out fishing and then went for a boat ride.

Qotd: just police my own stuff, but still tend to miss things. It's hard to proofread your own stuff.

tbd.

LB2

Qotd: just police my own stuff, but still tend to miss things. It's hard to proofread your own stuff.

I was talking to students about that the other day. I firmly believe that is because we tend to read what we write ourselves as we meant it to be on paper/screen. So, we mentally add the words that are missing or incorrect in some way as we read them. When we look at the work of others, we have no preconceived notion of what comes next. However, I have a few students this semester who just have a very poor grasp of the English language because they have always been around people who communicate using poor grammar. One interesting thing I have found about one student is that she, on some level, understands this and over compensates by using words that she thinks "sound smart". I think this is her way of trying to distance herself from that. Unfortunately, she uses these words totally incorrectly. For instance, she will start an essay with words like "However", "Moreover", and my favorite "Nevermore". I have had to go back and try to re-teach some things. I am going to try to get her through this semester and see if I can fix her writing in the follow up class in the spring.

LB2