Trailer Trash

Should I taper? (Read 34 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I am coming back from some foot tendonitis issues and everything is feeling good right now.  The race I'm prepping for is the Ironmasters 50k on 4/28.  My weekly mileage is low right now (when it should be my peak weeks)...35 miles last week, maybe 40 this week.

My question is...How should I use the next 23 days before this race in order to be best prepared?  If you check my log, I have entered a tentative plan (basically I want to hit a 20 miler next week and take it pretty conservative after that).

As always, any input would be much appreciated.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I may not have sound advice here but coming from someone that is "limping" into a 50k for the second straight year - I would say if you can get in a decent 20+ miler on hilly stuff in the next two weeks, you should be fine.  Don't do that kind of a run the week prior though.  The overall mileage won't do you much good at this point.  Be very aware of your foot.  Continue to ice, massage, elevate and rest the foot when you can.  On race day you will get through it - maybe not racing the way you want but you will enjoy it and have a great experience.  As long as that is what you are after, you are golden.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I may not have sound advice here but coming from someone that is "limping" into a 50k for the second straight year - I would say if you can get in a decent 20+ miler on hilly stuff in the next two weeks, you should be fine.  Don't do that kind of a run the week prior though.  The overall mileage won't do you much good at this point.  Be very aware of your foot.  Continue to ice, massage, elevate and rest the foot when you can.  On race day you will get through it - maybe not racing the way you want but you will enjoy it and have a great experience.  As long as that is what you are after, you are golden.

Thats pretty much in line with what I've been thinking.  I'll hit the 20 miler next week, baby the foot, and get to the line healthy.  I've already conceded all ambitions for this race other than just getting it done and having a good time...I hope you're right about being "golden" Big grin

XtremeTaper

I am of the opinion that the peak weeks in terms of mileage should not always be in your final weeks before the race but that's just me.

I sort of agree with BoyJame though.. if you can knock out one more long run before your race it will lead to a confidence boost. You have to be careful though to aggravate your foot. Is it 100% now?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I am currently running pain free in the foot with the reduced mileage and reduced pace.  I think it is 100%, but I am not tempted to test it.  I also haven't done a run longer than 6 miles since, so that is also questionable territory (doing 10 tomorrow so we'll see).  Tomorrow is the decider for me...if I get through the 10 without re-aggravating I will sign up for the race on monday.  If it hurts again, I'm going to scrap the whole thing.