Trailer Trash

Is there hope for me? (Read 77 times)

Misty

I started road running Jan '12 and have run a bunch of races including a FM in Feb. I finished in 4:18, and my HM PR from last year is 1:56. I tell you this only to give you an idea of my race paces.

Despite having no trail access nearby (I can drive an hour to a trail system) last month I decided to give trail races a shot. I ran a trail HM called Hell's Hills (nice choice for a trail virgin, eh?) on May 18th and finished in 3 hours and some seconds. Brutal but fun! I dd a 10 mile race (Whispering Pines) on June 1st with a friend and while we were just having fun and goofing off, it still felt really tough. Then today I ran a trail HM on much easier trails, though it was much hotter than my previous races, and did it in 2:55. Again, despite my snail like pace, it was tough.

My parents live out in the country and one day I did run out around their pasture and into some wooded areas out there, but it's nothing compared to the trails I've experienced in these 3 races; I'm wondering if running out there consistently will help, even though it's mostly flat and not super technical?

I love trail running but wonder if I'm just not cut out for it? Should my pace really be that much slower? I literally have one pace off road...I noticed today that even on these easier trails I wouldn't have been able to run any faster if I was signed up for the 5k instead of the HM. I can plan to run out at my parents maybe 1-2x/week if it will help, and I'm going to try to drive out to the trails that are an hour away when I can...but can I get better with such limited practice?

I'm sorry this is so long and rambling...I'm just a bit discouraged. Thanks for any input!

Misty

Bless your heart.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Welcome to the trashy bunch!

Road runners worry about their pace.

Trail runners worry about their post-run beer.

But seriously, the pace in trail running depends mostly on the terrain and the surface of the trail. There are trails where a 15 m/m pace is lightening fast, and there are trails where with a 7 m/m pace, you won't make it into the top ten in a race.

Don't worry about the pace as such, it has no value in trail running. If you want to compare yourself to others, look at your placing and compare it to your road results, but truly, trail running is not much about "racing" for the most part. The purpose is much more to have a great time out on the trails, and to measure yourself on that trail against either the clock (when you have a reference time, e.g. last year's time, but that may change tremendously depending on factors like weather, or depth of creek crossings, etc.),or the competitors, or just to find out whether you have it in you to master that trail at all (run it, run it "fast", not trip, not fall, whatever).

You cannot compare your trail pace against your road pace.

You will get faster with practice and experience, so running trails even just a few times in a month will certainly help. It will also make you more confident and allow you to have more fun on trails.

If you want to get a good laugh out of the subject, read through this forum, or google "road runner vs. trail runner" (or similar wording). Much truth to find there. Wink

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I love trail running but wonder if I'm just not cut out for it? 

Sounds like you are cut out for it.

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

Ditto to the 2 wise ones who answered above me.  I have introduced several friends to the dark side, and every single one comments on their slow time and pace, so you are not alone.  I have 1/2 trail marathon times ranging from 1:45 to 3:45 with the same effort level.  Also, I've never run a trail 1/2 that's actually 13.1 miles, and no two races will ever be the same.

Any experience you have on trails will help.  If it's a technical race you are entering, the more you can get out on technical trails, the better.

Welcome.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Misty

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I know I need to stop worrying about my pace so much; I was DFL in today's race so it kind of made me feel bad. But someone has to be last, so I need to just get over it. I'm going to get in as much off road practice as possible, and I really need to work on picking my feet up as I'm in a perpetual state of stumbling. Thanks again, I'm going to work on it and I'll keep y'all posted!

Misty

Bless your heart.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

welcome to the trailers and yes there is lots of hope for you Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

I can't add much to what has been already said here. It's good advice.

One thing to remember though. Depending on the trail, the term "trail running" is somewhat of a misnomer. I say somewhat, because you will have to mix running with power hiking and even walking. It all depends on the terrain.

For comparisons sake here are some of my times.

A HM hilly road run on dirt roads with hills approaching 14% grades I can average between 8:15 to 8:45 minutes per mile.

A HM moderately technical trail course with a lot of runnable sections I'm lucky to get down to 12:30 per mile.

Running in the pasture and woods, even if not as technical as the other trails should help you to get used to uneven ground. When I run on the road, which is quite often since I live fairly far from good trails, I often run in the ditch or jump over into fields if possible just so the footing is more uneven.

Keep at it and you will get better.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I know I need to stop worrying about my pace so much; I was DFL in today's race so it kind of made me feel bad. But someone has to be last, so I need to just get over it. I'm going to get in as much off road practice as possible, and I really need to work on picking my feet up as I'm in a perpetual state of stumbling. Thanks again, I'm going to work on it and I'll keep y'all posted!

DFL is infinitely more awesome than "couldn't be bothered to get off the couch and try a new challenge."

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

muppy

DFL is infinitely more awesome than "couldn't be bothered to get off the couch and try a new challenge."

+1

Im kinda new to trail running also, my whole plan for the race I did was to have fun. That's it no expectations, no goals. My road half PR is about the same as yours. I ran my first trail race, A 25K in 2:30. As it turns out the trails were very nice and not very hilly ( in my opinion, to somebody thats not used to hills it would be different) If it was more hills I could have taken a lot longer also. I'm guessing a race called "hells hills" might be a bit hilly?

Depending on where I'm running I'm pretty slow, some long runs I'm happy with a 12-13 mm pace. It all depends on the trail type and how hilly, so I just go with the flow and run, don't worry about pace at all.

And welcome!

SillyC

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I know I need to stop worrying about my pace so much; I was DFL in today's race so it kind of made me feel bad. But someone has to be last, so I need to just get over it.  

No!  DFL is a special honor!

Nightvisionrn

DFL got me pity beer from the RDSmile

Wandering Wally

Welcome!  Yes, you are cut out for it.  Lots of collective wisdom here.  Just keep at it and you will be fine.

DFL>DNF>DNS

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

sugnim

I was DFL in my 1st trail race.  Someone has to take that spot, right?  Trail running, for me anyway, is more about nature than pace.  It's about having a good time, not running a good time.  And, it's about not being afraid to get dirty or to drop your shorts behind a bush.  Keep going, and try not to stress so much!  Smile

Trail Monster

I was DFL in my first 50k. It's a right of passage.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Misty

Thanks again for the encouragement and kind words!

Misty

Bless your heart.