Trailer Trash

Backpacking Thread (Read 60 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Over Thanksgiving my boyfriend and I went hiking and backpacking at Death Valley National Park in California.  This is sort of a gear review with some trip report smatterings.  I figured I would put this here since it was my first time really backpacking and also I wound up purchasing a few new gear items specifically for this trip and for more backpacking in general.  Our goal was to travel light without being stupid light. 

My base weight was approximately 15 pounds (so all items that were not food/water/fuel/consumables.)  I probably could have left some things behind and I know there are definitely things that could be lightened for the future.  (For instance, the 8 ounce mega bright headlamp was totally overkill, but my lighter headlamp broke and I just haven't replaced it yet.)  My boyfriend, being the gallant gentleman that he is, opted to carry the entire tent himself while I carried the cookware (one pot, two bowls, and two sporks) and stove.  He also carried the rope, knife, and fuel while I carried the first aid kit.  Otherwise we were mostly equal in the other things we carried, although I had to bring heavy mittens and multiple packets of those chemical handwarmers due to my pretty severe Raynaud's disease. I also carried more clothing than I probably needed, but I was okay with that.  I think I used every piece of clothing at least once, so I'll call that a win.  We had temperatures anywhere from the 20s to 60 degrees, so I went from wearing every layer I had with me while relaxing at camp at night to shorts and a t-shirt while hiking in the sun at lower elevations.   

Packs: I carried the ULA Circuit while my boyfriend carried the Osprey Exos 58.  Finding a pack was the last thing I did and was one of my two major gear purchases this fall.  I read way too many reviews on the internet, visited REI, and ordered a few things off the internet.  I initially wanted to like the same Osprey my boyfriend ended up with because it has a suspended mesh back panel to theoretically keep you cooler and less sweaty, but I found the pack just didn't fit me quite right.  I wound up choosing one of the most popular packs used by thru-hikers, the ULA (Ultralight Adventures) Circuit.  ULA is a great little company out of Utah and the Circuit is the most popular pack they make.  They were extremely helpful in getting me the right size.  I was right on the edge between a size small and medium and after ordering the small and thinking it wasn't long enough in the torso, they sent me a medium as well at no charge so I could compare the two at home.  I e-mailed some photos of me wearing the packs to the owner of the company and he gave me his opinion on which one fit best.  (I wound up keeping the medium, by the way.)  The pack itself is really nice and well made.  The torso length is slightly adjustable in each size.  It has large hipbelt pockets and easily accessible side pockets for water bottles.  A large mesh pocket on the outside where I could put random things I wanted accessible all day.  The Osprey has smaller hipbelt pockets and neither of us were able to reach the side water bottle pockets without really straining.  My boyfriend really likes the way the pack fits him though, so he kept it and was happy with the way it carried through the trip. 

Packs and a sample of the terrain we were hiking over.

Testing out my pack in our home environment.  I think this was the small that I wound up sending back.

Almost to the top of Telescope Peak.

Tent: We used the same tent for this trip as we did when we biked around the state earlier this summer.  Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2.  Some good things about this tent: it's one of the lightest double wall tents out there, it's held up extremely well in the rain (we've never gotten wet despite heavy rain and wind), and it's super easy to set up.  You can also set up the footprint and fly first and then pitch the inside of the tent if it's raining while you're setting up.  We haven't had to do that yet, but it seems like a really nice feature to keep the inside of your tent dry.  The bad things about the tent: it's pretty small for a two person tent.  I would only share this tent with a significant other or a VERY close friend.  You're going to be quite cozy together.  And unless you're snuggling, part of your sleeping bag will be touching the side of the tent.  We both found this made a cold spot in our bags.  (We didn't have this issue over the summer, obviously.)  You can't both sit up at the same time without being hunched over.  It was easiest to change clothes alone in the tent, otherwise it seemed like someone would get an elbow in the face.  You'd be pretty miserable spending much time in the tent if you're not sleeping, but then again, that's not really the point of this tent. The vestibule is pretty small as well.  You can fit two packs in there, but you're going to have to move one if you get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  We're sort of looking at buying a different tent, but only half halfheartedly right now.  This tent does what it needs to do at a light weight, so it's hard to justify buying a new one.  I'm not sure the perfect light weight tent actually exists.  Since this two person tent weighs less than a lot of one person tents, I know many people use this tent solo.  I think it would be a great one person tent. 

Where we spent Thanksgiving.

In Wisconsin on the bike trip.

Sleeping bag: My other major gear purchase and probably my favorite thing I carried.  I have an older 25 degree Marmot bag that weighs 3 pounds, which worked fine (although was bulky) for the bike trip, but I knew I needed something lighter and smaller for backpacking.  I wasn't sold on the idea of a quilt, but didn't want your traditional bag with a hood either.  I was ready to pull the trigger on a custom ZPacks bag with a full length zipper, when Enlightened Equipment came out with a new bag/quilt hybrid called the Convert and I was immediately sold (http://www.<wbr>enlightenedequipment.com/<wbr>convert/).  I love this bag!  I went with the 20 degree 850 fill regular length/regular width for 24 ounces.  Our temperatures dipped into the high 20s overnight and I was cozy warm in my bag and one wool base layer and a winter hat.  There's no hood, but the bag was long enough to pull over my head if necessary, which I did a few times in the early morning.  You can also unzip the entire thing so it looks like a blanket and wrap it around you during other times.  I did this while eating breakfast/dinner at camp in the cold mornings/evenings.  When we camp in warmer weather, I'll be able to use this in quilt mode or even just in blanket mode.  I think it's the perfect 3 season bag for me.  My boyfriend was so jealous about my awesome bag that he went and ordered one for himself when we got home. 

Testing out the bag at home with Bella making an appearance.  I slept more *in* the bag.  My pillow was in the bag with me if that makes sense.

Other items:  My shortened Neo Air Trekker (as seen above in this thread) continues to work well, although it's slightly on the heavy side.  It's never had any problems even though I altered it.  My other favorite item was my ZPacks pillow dry bag.  It's a waterproof dry bag lined with fleece, so it can house your sleeping bag during the day and then you can turn it inside out and stuff your down jacket inside for a comfy pillow at night.  (http://www.zpacks.com/<wbr>accessories/dry_bags.shtml)  I also love, love, love my Patagonia Nano Puff jacket for hiking in cold weather. 

Water/food/weight: We were hiking in the desert with next to no water sources.  We couldn't decide on attempting to access one of the few running springs in the area, or just carry all the water we needed and do the trip we wanted.  In the end, we opted to carry all our water.  My boyfriend carried a Sawyer water filter just in case, but we each hiked out 5-6 liters of water, which was, uh, quite heavy at 2.2 pounds per liter.  We both used a Camelbak bladder (there are lighter options out there, but we already owned these) and a bunch of 1 liter Smartwater bottles, which you can pick up at almost any gas station.  I have no idea how much my pack weighed when we started, but I'm guessing a little over 30 pounds?  Maybe?  We only had to carry food for two days, but we over packed on that as well.  I decided it was worth it to haul out an avocado, a block of cheese, and butter.  Yes, butter.  LOL. We needed it to make the Stovetop stuffing we brought for Thanksgiving dinner!  We were hiking mostly cross country (no trail) and hauling a lot of water, so we were pretty slow moving.  We covered a total of about 40 miles in 3 days, and that was a meandering pace and short days with the sun setting at 4:30pm.  I can only imagine how fast you could fly while hiking somewhere with ample water and an established trail while traveling semi-light. 

Death Valley was amazing and totally different than I expected.  I can't even begin to describe the vastness if you haven't been there before.  Wow.  Totally worth a trip.  Or ten.

We climbed Telescope Peak (a little over 11,000 feet), which is the highest mountain in the park.  You can simultaneously see the lowest (Badwater) and highest (Mt. Whitney) points of the contiguous U.S. from the summit.  Then we spent two days/two nights exploring some unnamed canyons in the Cottonwood mountains.  It rained on us the first night, which meant snow only about a 1,000 feet higher up.  We scrambled up and down a lot of dry falls, which I didn't particularly love, but was kind of necessary in order to complete the hikes.  The last day we just did a day hike in a slot canyon.

Thanksgiving night we were sitting outside the tent eating dinner under a full moon when this big bird came flying toward us.  I figured it would see us and veer upward, but as it came closer it slowed down to check us out.  It was this beautiful owl (which we later looked up and found out it was a short-eared owl) that passed probably only 5 feet over our heads.  Best Thanksgiving dinner ever.

Here's a mess of photos, which I know some of you already saw on Facebook.

Heading up to Telescope, upper left.

In the clouds before the summit.

Made it!

Layers and layers of mountains.

Mt. Whitney is the distance to the right.

Heading out into the desert.

Heading up an unnamed canyon.

I left snow at home, to get more snow in California.  WTF.

Climbing a dry fall.  I hated these fuckers.  Some of them were rather high and difficult.

The view out the front door.

Day hike into Fall Canyon.  The view after doing more climbing around a dry falls.

What you have to scramble up to get there.  Lots of tourists in the (boring) lower part of the canyon.  Very few people after we did the bypass around the falls and got to the cool parts.

Standing right above the dry falls.

Fun part of the canyon where you could practically hop from wall to wall.

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wow!  Looks like a great trip- I've officially put it on my list 

that at convert sounds like a great idea, going to check it out

For your first backpacking trip I'd give you an A 

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Nice trip, Mandy and thanks for the pics (even a Thom sighting) and reviews.

Big Agnes makes some nice tents. The only problem I've had with them is some condensation issues, but they were mild.

Beautiful views. Glad you had a great time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

For your first backpacking trip I'd give you an A 

And from the master himself!  I feel so proud.    You definitely need to go to Death Valley - you'd love it.  What bag(s) are you using now?

Thanks, AT!  No condensation issues in the desert, obviously.  I love waking up to dry gear there.  I'll have to pay closer attention at home.

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I've got a really bare bones 40 degree quilt from Hammock Gear- a little over 12 oz    I've got a Katabatic Pallidade quilt that he rates at 30•, but for me it's a solid 20• quilt and then last year I picked up a 0 degree quilt from Hammock Gear. Katabatic makes wonderful down quilts, but they are too spendy and the HG quilts are really nice for a lot less $

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Thanks MM, looks great !!!

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Awesome Mandy! Thanks for sharing the reviews.  That bag/quilt definitely looks comfortable.

So where is your next planned trip?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Awesome Mandy! Thanks for sharing the reviews.  That bag/quilt definitely looks comfortable.

So where is your next planned trip?

Thanks, Jamie!  I think you would really like backpacking.  I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would!

No idea.  Probably not until summer, unless we do a small trip around here during that short period where there snow has melted, but the bugs haven't arrived yet.

Running is dumb.

adkkev

Thanks, Jamie!  I think you would really like backpacking.  I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would!

No idea.  Probably not until summer, unless we do a small trip around here during that short period where there snow has melted, but the bugs haven't arrived yet.

You're so close to Boundary Waters, etc., that you should try some canoe camping.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

so you can't decide if you want to run or backpack, do both 

here's my new Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30, going to get some running overnighters in and if it works out well I'll be using this pack for the Bob Marshall Open

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

so you can't decide if you want to run or backpack, do both 

here's my new Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30, going to get some running overnighters in and if it works out well I'll be using this pack for the Bob Marshall Open

Looking forward to the actual review, Warden!  My boyfriend is interested in doing some fastpacking and/or FKT type of stuff, so I'll show this to him too.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

It's been waaayyyyyyy too long since I checked in here.

Mandy, that trip looks awesome! I am a little disappointed you don't like scrambling up dry falls, as that is one of my favorite activities.

My wife and kids have expressed a solid interest in trying some light backpacking and camping this year. We're going to start off easy with a few small day hikes to get some legs built up and then we'll see where the summer takes us. I'm hoping we can plan a little trip to Calf Creek Falls out in the Utah desert.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm bumping this thread to give you a backpacking report.  Those of you who also backpack (*coughcough* Sue, Mike, NorthernHarrier, etc) please post some trip reports too!

I'm going through some crap in my life right now, so I booked a flight out to Washington to hang out with a friend for a week and go backpacking together in the Sawtooth mountains of Idaho.  I cried through my entire first flight from Madison to Minneapolis and then went into business mode and finally stopped crying.  I had a tight connection and needed to book it to make my other flight.   At least I didn’t have to sprint with a roller bag like I did in Denver once.

After arriving in Spokane, we hit the road for Stanley, Idaho.  I’m sad to say that the West is in bad shape with all the wildfires.  We encountered a lot of smoke.  Most of it a dull haze, but also a few really bad pockets that made my eyes burn.  Driving through Montana and Idaho was beautiful.  Big Sky Country indeed.  The vastness of the West always makes my heart ache a little.  On a side note, Taco Bell > Taco Time.  No sauce on your quesadillas, man?  What the heck?

Backpacking day 1:

I guess there’s a reason the Sawtooths are so popular – they’re absolutely spectacular.  We wake up and get our first glimpse of the mountains that we missed upon arriving in the dark last night.  Wow.  I’m not sure why the ex and I never made it to the mountains to backpack before, but now I’m here and I get to finally do this.  Setting out, we're probably chatting so much that we go down the wrong trail.  Uh, oops?  We’re about a mile and a half off track, so we turn around.  We run into a group of dudes and admit that we had to turn around.  (Note this for later.)  A bit of steep, slidey off-trail and we’re on the right track again.  I’m carrying less than two liters of water and it’s like a freaking miracle to me.  I’ve done so much dry and/or desert hiking and it’s a treat to have so much access to water.  It’s everywhere!  We climb and climb and it just gets more beautiful with every turn.  We climb about 3,000 feet on this day and make camp in the meadow next to a lake.  I’ve never had such a fantastic campsite before.  It’s warm and we sit outside our tents until the light fades.  Dinner report:  Good-to-Go chili over mashed potatoes with Wisconsin sharp cheddar I brought with me.  Definitely doing this dinner again in the future.

Can you see our tents?

The wildflowers were gorgeous.

Backpacking day 2:

My friend has a much more leisurely morning routine than the ex and I enjoy not feeling rushed to break down camp.  It’s always nice to enjoy your breakfast with your sleeping bag wrapped around you on a rock overlooking an alpine lake.  I mean, does it get any better than that?  Well, I didn’t bring any coffee, so I suppose it does.  We pack up and hike out and head toward a different lake.  I guess that’s what happens in the mountains – you hike from one amazing lake to the next.  We run into a lot of people this day, including the group of dudes from before.  They stop to chit-chat and say, “Hey, didn’t we see you yesterday?”  Yep.  “And you made it all the way to <insert lake here>?”  Well, no, we went past that and camped at <insert lake here>.  “Oh, wow.  You two sure are something!”  Hahahahalolololol.  Excuse me?  Gentlemen, take note: Things not to say to women in the wilderness (or anywhere) 101.  Like, duuuuddddeeeee.  I guarantee my pack is lighter, I have more experience, and have hiked more miles than you.  We two chicks could hike you under the table.  Besides, your tent is strapped on the outside of your pack, which is n00b mistake #1.  It’s interesting the groups you see out in the wild.  It’s typically either: a big group of dudes, couples and/or families, or solo women.  We didn’t see any solo men or groups of women.  So I guess that made the two of us “something.”  Probably was the braids.

And I guess it’s sexism day in the wild, because later on we meet an older couple and ask them about the lake that’s off trail that we plan on camping at.  The man is a little concerned that it’s awfully rocky down there and that we’d have to bushwhack.  We assure him we’ll manage.  We get down to the lake and have to…bushwhack?  Uh, nope, this is about as far from bushwhacking as you can get.  We walk through some trees off trail.  There are rocks on the ground.  There is nothing I have to push through, there are no branches or bushes in my face or grabbing at my pack, there are no downed trees to scale, no boulders to climb.  Nothing bushwhacky in the slightest.  We wonder if he would have warned a group of dudes or not.  Probably not.  My uterus fell out as soon as my feet stepped off the trail, donchaknow?

We set up camp, do a short day hike to a different lake, and then go for a swim-bath back at our lake.  I expect the water to be horrifically cold, but it’s not.  If it’s not Lake Superior cold, it’s not that cold!  Dinner report: My always favorite backpacking meal of rice, refried beans, cheese, and Fritos.  Unfortunately I forgot my hot sauce.

This moss was so cool.

Switchback heaven

Backpacking day 3:

Brrrr, last night was pretty cold.  My friend had some ice form in her water bottle that she left outside her tent.  I had some trouble with my feet and wound up throwing a pair of handwarmers in the bottom of my sleeping bag.  That helped a lot.  Today is the day we actually bushwhack!  Well, a little.  We put in some on trail miles before hopping off trail again.  And this time we’re finally rewarded with some true solitude.  There’s no one up here but us and the marmots.  They dart around the rocks and check us out.  Our first campsite may have had the most spectacular view, but I think this one was my favorite.  I am successful with 2 out of 3 bear hang throws.  We find a metal cooking grate/grill out there.  FFS, people.  Pack in, pack it out.  It's not difficult.  Let's not even mention the fact that they obviously had a fire going.  Dinner report: Annie’s mac and cheese with vegetables.  I manage to eat the whole thing.  I think I need to experiment with putting some powdered milk in my mac on the trail.  Right now I’m just mixing up the cooked pasta with the cheese packet, some pasta water, and olive oil.

This big guy let me pet him.

Sorry, lots of tent pictures.  I mean, Warden and I have to geek out about gear! 

Backpacking day 4:
                            It’s exit day!  Town food!  Showers!  Diet Coke!  But first we have to hike.  And hitch.  And damn, it’s hot out again.  Not that I’m complaining.  I have a rule about never complaining about the heat.  I live in perpetual cold for 6 months out of the year.  I do not complain about heat.  We get an earlier start today, since the afternoon will be a bunch of unknowns.  How long will it take us to hike out?  How long will it take us to hitch a ride back to the car?  Will we even be able to?  How long will it take us to drive to our hotel in a different town?

I was planning on packing out that damn metal grate from last night, but realize I forgot it.  Fuck!  So much for LNT.  I still feel guilty writing this.  I really try my best to pack out trash that I find.

We make good time down the trail and leave the spectacular lakes area and hit our 7 mile grind out.  No more mountains, no more views, just a dusty trail through the scrubby lodgepole pines.  My friend's friend (who has probably more backpacking experience than anyone I know) has promised us that this is the busiest trailhead in the Sawtooths and we won’t have any problems hitching a ride out.  So we’re a little surprised when we arrive at the trailhead and there’s…nothing.  Two lone cars void of people.  Well, crap.   So we start walking toward the road.  An older couple in a very clean Subaru stops to make sure we’re okay, but they won’t give us a ride.  The woman was wearing a pink polo.  Hrrrmpphh.  (Yes, I am judging!)  People are coming into the trailhead, but not going out.  We keep walking toward the highway.  Finally, we see a young couple in an adventure looking truck.  Sure, they’ll turn around and give us a ride.  Yes!  They have Minnesota plates.  I high five the kid for being neighbors.  We ride scrunched in the back of their truck and get their bed pretty dusty.  I feel bad.  We give the kid $20 for taking us.  And just like that, we’re back at my friend's Jeep 4 days later.

We're pretty gross at this point.  Covered in dust and smoke and my t-shirt is full of 4 days of sweat.  But it feels good.  It always feels to be dirty and homeless and feral for a while.  I would have been happy to keep going, but alas.  Life and reality and all that bullshit.  Maybe someday I'll get to leave that behind.  Once we get to the hotel, I have to shampoo my hair 3 times in order for it to feel clean, like usual.  Dinner report: We have a delicious meal at a local brew pub, but with the worst service we've ever encountered.  We both get a burger and fries (veggie for me, beef for her.)  We split cheese curds for an appetizer (which comes during the meal.)   The cheese curds were good, but they weren't Wisconsin cheese curds.

Friday refuel food report: We have an awesome breakfast/brunch with much better service.  I finally have my first cup of coffee.  I order hashbrowns and veggies smothered in cheese, two fried eggs, toast, and a buttermilk pancake.  My friend orders an omelet, sausage, and a sourdough pancake with huckleberries.  I gotta say, breakfast is always my favorite meal.  It's so satisfying.  Once we arrive back to Spokane later in the day, we go out for really good pizza and I drink my first beer in two months.  Pomegranate dark chocolate for dessert.  Man, if only I could eat this good every day.

On Saturday I have to head back home.  I get a little choked up because I'm just kind of a weepy mess these days.  Honestly, I've cried more in the last two months than the rest of my life combined.  I then proceed to cry on both of my flights home.   But part of the tears is being thankful and grateful that people have been so good to me and that people love and support me.  And another part of it is feeling a strength, a faint steady beating in my heart.  Something that you can only find being self-sufficient in the wilderness with a good friend.  I'm still a disaster, but I know I will survive this.  I know I will find myself again.  I can do hard things.  And I can do hard things alone.  I move into my own place in less than two weeks.  I’m still nervous and scared in a way, but I know it’s going to be an integral part of moving forward.  My mother always gets so worried about me being out in the woods alone, but it's where I feel the most safe.  I find so much peace in the quiet and the stillness, but also the howl of the wind and the calls of the birds.  I can't think of anywhere better to be.

Running is dumb.

dhuffman63

Trails

Awesome report and some fantastic pictures.  Hugs to you, I've been there and you'll come out stronger than ever.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Mandy. I'm very happy for you that you are moving forward.

On the AT, it's mostly solo men and women. They may be hiking together  but they started off solo and hike their own pace.

Group hug.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!