Trailer Trash

Watoni-- a snowshoe option (Read 22 times)

NorthernHarrier

A few days back you were asking about finding a snowshoe that would work for a little running and general hiking about.  Back in the early nineties I picked up a pair that were super lightweight but bigger than the usual running snowshoe. My plan was the same as you, a little running, did 4-5 races with them, but they were also versatile enough for a little bushwacking and light enough to strap on my back when I went backcountry skiing. Not perfect for anything but pretty darn good for a lot.  That brand is called Northern Lites.  They may be more of a regional brand made in north central Wi.

I was gonna mention this before but of course sidetracked, yadda, yadda  but at the race I did today which was a pretty big snowshoe event and also the state championship there were a few vendors and the guy who makes Northern Lites was there so I talked to him a little. I mentioned that I had a very early pair of his from way back and that the rubber of the bindings was stiff and brittle. The guy just reached into his truck, pulled out some new bindings and gave them to me. Pretty damn nice customer service I think.  He suggested his model the "elite" for what you may be looking for so I thought you may at least look up their website. Very light and durable shoes that are at least worth a look.

Anyway this race had about 200 people in it and in my informal survey checking people's webs my guess is maybe a fourth of the peeps there were wearing Northern Lites fwiw.

Watoni

Thank you!