Trailer Trash

T&C's Stone Mill 50 Race Report (Read 43 times)

http://trailsandcocktails.blogspot.com/2013/11/stone-mill-50-miler-race-report.html

This post almost took me as long to write as it took me to run the race! Big grin

Short version, I finished in 12:11 and had a great day. Only some stomach issues for a few miles but my legs felt great. I'm aiming to be back again in 2015.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job with your first 50 miler!!! Your RR was really fun to read, and loved the images! Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Awesome job on your first 50 miler...the first timer blogs really make you want to run one so that we too can conquer the hard times and finish.   I am happy you were eating Margarita shot blocks, little disappointed you didn't have a shot of whiskey but glad you finished an IPA to stay true to you C&T.  Big grin

Nice pictures..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Amazing fluctuations in how you felt and how quickly that would change. After reading race reports I don't know whether I should try that distance to see how I'd match up to the challenge or be a wimp and stick with what I know I can do. Then I see the pictures and there's no doubt I'll want to try that some day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Congratulations. I really dread when those negative feelings start to creep in on me. I always make the assumption that it is an indication that my sugar has dropped, which is generally the case. I can't really eat most of the candy type crap I find at aid stations (M&M's, gummy bears, etc.). Sometimes, I get pissed off when I see candy, which is just another indication that I am bonking. I got pissed off at candy? Really? Come on, Man!! Nevertheless, they create more of a problem than I had to begin with, heartburn. But if I can get potatoes (preferably soup) or fruit (preferably watermelon or pineapple), it seems to help more than anything. I am glad you finished.

LB2

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Great report Dani!  I had no idea you felt so rotten.  I felt fine, but just got slower and slower, but you kept up the pace and left me eating your dust, picking up a 30 minute lead in the last 12-15 miles..Great job!

Since I took longer to run the race, it takes me longer to write the report...

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

muppy

Nice job Danielle on your first 50 miler, you pushed through the low spots and succeeded, congratulations!

AT-runner

Tim

Great job, and congratulations on your first 50M.

Agree with LB2 that it sounds like your needed food to get your BS back up.  Did you run with any electrolytes (besides what's in the gels)?

Thanks for he pictures.  Looks like you didn't see Jamie's giant either.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Great job, and congratulations on your first 50M.

Agree with LB2 that it sounds like your needed food to get your BS back up.  Did you run with any electrolytes (besides what's in the gels)?

Thanks for he pictures.  Looks like you didn't see Jamie's giant either.

Yeah, I took some S-caps, and was trying to take in salty foods and Gatorade whenever I could. I think the problem was that I was drinking a lot of water, and not sweating at the same rate. I usually sweat a lot, but due to the slow pace and cool day I wasn't sweating too much. Once I got the sodium back up I felt so much better.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Very nice race report!  Curious, did completing the 50 make you more or less resolved to take a break from the ultra distances (or the same)? Did you end up getting headphones?  I thought about that a lot during the run (I should have just given you mine), but I was hoping Josh would be able to hook you up if you needed it. Congrats, nice meeting you, see you around for sure!

**Ask me about streaking**

Very nice race report!  Curious, did completing the 50 make you more or less resolved to take a break from the ultra distances (or the same)? Did you end up getting headphones?  I thought about that a lot during the run (I should have just given you mine), but I was hoping Josh would be able to hook you up if you needed it. Congrats, nice meeting you, see you around for sure!

Good question! If I hadn't already resolved to take some time off next year from long distances, I would probably be looking for a Spring 50 to train for. Simply because I know I can run faster. But it's really easy to get caught up in the post-race hype. I know I would eventually get resentful and burned out again if I don't take at least 1 season off from ultra training. I'm  not ruling out Fall 2014 but that's when I'm getting married and going on a 2 week honeymoon so it seems unlikely I will be getting in any serious training then.

Josh did get my headphones, but I didn't end up taking them. The only time I really wish I had them was on the C&O stretch. Man that was boring!

Nice to meet you as well!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Congrats on an awesome first 50, Danielle!  Smile  It sounds like you handled the low points well, which sometimes can be key to managing the rest of the race.  After all that I've gone through in the past 2 years, honestly, I think taking a little break from these kind of distances can only be a good thing in the long term.  Smart thinking, for sure.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Great report! Love the pictures. When you started talking about the deer, it reminded me of the deer I saw along the way and then you had a picture of where the deer hopped a car? The busiest place for a deer...interesting.

Your report also reminded me of another reason I like ultras - the strange array of emotions you can feel from one mile to the next, even one minute to the next.  Funny how all your pics you are smiling - but no pics of the crying?!?! just kidding.

You have a good husband-to-be - following you around all day like he did!

Very nice to meet you and your fiance.  I am sure we'll bump into each other again on the trails.  Take a year and focus on your wedding, shorter distances, ultimate frisbee, your blog but come back in 2015 and get back to the ultras! (Hyner is calling you name....)

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Great report! Love the pictures. When you started talking about the deer, it reminded me of the deer I saw along the way and then you had a picture of where the deer hopped a car? The busiest place for a deer...interesting.

Your report also reminded me of another reason I like ultras - the strange array of emotions you can feel from one mile to the next, even one minute to the next.  Funny how all your pics you are smiling - but no pics of the crying?!?! just kidding.

You have a good husband-to-be - following you around all day like he did!

Very nice to meet you and your fiance.  I am sure we'll bump into each other again on the trails.  Take a year and focus on your wedding, shorter distances, ultimate frisbee, your blog but come back in 2015 and get back to the ultras! (Hyner is calling you name....)

Thanks for sharing.

It's funny, Josh usually gets the crying photos and holds them for a ransom haha. But I think he knew I was in a real bad spot and just wanted to help.

I will definitely be back for Hyner! Almost signed up for 2014, but then considered the training involved and scratched it. I am really REALLY looking forward to sleeping in on weekends Smile

So great to meet you as well!

RabbitChaser

Congratulations on running a strong first 50! It sounds like you managed the race very well. It looks like it's a great course, thanks for sharing the RR and pictures.