Trailer Trash

Recipes, Cookies, Quinoa, Oh My! (Read 456 times)

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I think it looks delicious.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think it looks delicious.

You just want me to bake you pie. Big grin

Running is dumb.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

You just want me to bake you pie. Big grin

Well, yeah. Perhaps. We could make cookies, too. Wink

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I just want to draw your attention to a very quick and easy fruit bake, which makes it easy to justify your long runs (after all, someone will have to bring home the blackberries, blueberries, raspberries,...):

2 Tbsp butter

3/4 cup flour (I use whole grain)

1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 to 3 cups of fruit (berries, or diced)

1Tbsp lemon juice

ground cinnamon (e.g. for black- or blueberries) or ginger (e.g. for peaches)

In a deep 9x13 cookie sheet, or a deep pie dish, or a n oven-proof glass or ceramic dish, melt the butter (I do this by placing the dish with the butter in the oven for a few minutes while pre-heating to 350 F).

Mix flour, sugar (adjust amount to taste and sweetness of the fruits), baking powder and salt.

Wash fruit if needed, add lemon juice, mix gently.

Add vanilla to milk, and then the milk to flour mixture, blend quickly until smooth.

Swirl butter in baking dish to cover the surface, then pour batter into hot butter. Quickly sprinkle fruit over batter. Sprinkle a dash of spice on top.

Bake at 350F for about 30minutes, until edges are slightly brown, and center is set (test with a toothpick, if it comes out clean, it is done, but the fruit might stick to the toothpick).

Notes:

It tastes great warm out of the oven, or cold, with whipped cream, or ice cream.

You can also add your favorite streusel or crumble topping before baking.

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

Wow....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay (extra large and very loud)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and

http://rungentlyoutthere.com/pineapple-upside-down-cake/

I need to be more (any at all) consistent -- there is a social skills class at the senior center next week.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I just heard this recipe on the radio. Elvis Presley seems to have loved it, and I think it might be a great recovery drink post-race, if you like the combination of flavors.

Sean Brock's Elvis Presley Milkshake

Serves 4 to 6  1 (trail runner)

5 thick-cut strips of smoked bacon

2 very ripe bananas

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

1/4 cup Buffalo Trace bourbon

3 cups vanilla ice cream, softened slightly

3 tablespoons of bacon fat, cooled

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until very crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Reserve the rendered bacon fat separately, allowing it to cool slightly.

Place the bananas, peanut butter and bourbon in a blender. Add the cooked bacon and 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat and blend until smooth, about 45 seconds, scraping down the sides if necessary. Add the ice cream and pulse to incorporate into a smooth shake, about 30 seconds.

If you'd like, you can also incorporate the ice cream by hand by mixing it in with a whisk or an immersion blender; this will help keep the shake in a more frozen state. Serve immediately. Transfer any extra shake to a lidded container and reserve in the freezer. Because the alcohol prevents it from completely freezing, it turns into a scoopable ice cream.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Spicy Pineapple Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients
                1-1.5 pounds of chicken breast and/or thighs
                1/2 fresh pineapple cut into chunks

2 bell peppers cut into chunks

1-2 sweet onions cut into chunks

Pineapple Marinade:
                ¼ cup pineapple juice
                2 tablespoons soy sauce
                3 tablespoons honey
                2 tablespoons vinegar
                1 teaspoon sesame oil
                ¼ teaspoon ginger
                ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
                2 tablespoons olive oil

Grilling Sauce:
                ½ cup pineapple juice
                2 tablespoons honey
                1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
                1 tablespoon olive oil
                1 teaspoon soy sauce

Instructions

Marinade:

Mix together ¼ cup of the pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic powder and olive oil.
                Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 4-12 hours.

Grilling Sauce:
                In a small saucepan, mix together ½ cup of pineapple juice, honey, sriracha sauce, olive oil and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Thread the chicken, bell pepper, pineapple and onions onto skewers kabobs, alternating items.

Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush the pineapple grilling sauce over the kabobs. Lightly oil the grill grates and then place the kabobs on the grill. Cook over medium-high heat, turning and brushing with pineapple grilling sauce often, for 12-15 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.

XtremeTaper

White Chili

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
                  2 onions, diced fine
                  1-2 hot peppers, diced fine (optional)
                  4 cloves garlic, minced
                  2-3 lbs boneless chicken breast, cooked and chopped
                  1/2 - 1lb tomatillos, diced
                  3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken stock/broth
                  2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chili peppers, chopped
                  1 can white corn
                  2 teaspoons ground cumin
                  2 teaspoons dried oregano
                  1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                  1 tsp salt
                  4 (14.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed.
                  1 lime

Monterey jack cheese
                  Fresh cilantro

Directions

Cut chicken into small pieces, season with some salt/pepper/cumin if desired, and cook/saute until done.

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, hot peppers, and garlic and saute until onions are tender (5-10 minutes). Add the chicken, tomatillos, mix. Add chicken stock, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper, corn, juice of lime. and bring to a light boil.

Reduce heat to low and add the beans. Simmer until heated thoroughly and allow flavors to mix, 1-2 hours. Serve with monterey jack cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Stuffed mushroom side dish from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook.  I buy a shredded 4-cheese mix instead of freshly grated parmesan.  And I add a little cayenne pepper because that's how I roll.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

I basically eat granola with fruit and yogurt almost every single day.  This is a really easy and inexpensive recipe, and you can reuse the parchment paper several times.

Granola Recipe:

1 ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I find dark tends to burn easily)

1/2 cup water

4 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 tsp salt

8 cups old fashioned rolled oats

2 cups chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc.

Dried fruit (optional) Preheat oven to 275.

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Combine brown sugar and water in a 4-cup or larger microwave-proof glass measuring cup or bowl. No smaller - it could boil over. Place in microwave on high for 5 minutes and cook until sugar is completely dissolved.

Remove from microwave and add vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine until salt is dissolved.

Place oats and nuts in a large bowl and pour brown sugar syrup over them. Stir until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture on cookie sheets and bake 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Depending on how your oven bakes, you may want to take the cookie sheets out at the 30 minute mark, rotate them 180 degrees, and switch racks. At the next 30 minute mark, check for coloring. Another 5-10 minutes beyond that may be all you need. Watch closely because after the first 40-45 minutes, it doesn’t take much for it burn.

When mixture comes out of oven, let it cool completely. Once cooled, sprinkle dried fruit on top and store in an airtight container. (I use dried cranberries and regular and golden raisins. I’ve tried chopped up dried apricots, but they get hard within a couple of days, which makes chewing interest.)

You can make this with 1 cup brown sugar and it won't be as clumpy or sweet. Manipulate the raw granola just before you put it in the oven by squeezing it together in your hands and drop it onto the cookie sheets. The granola will clump together; however, once it is cooked, handle carefully or the nuggets will fall apart.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance