Trailer Trash

Another Grand Trailfest Report! (Read 24 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I had been dying to get back to Utah and hadn’t been able to convince my husband even with the carrot of MT Biking and then this Trailfest thing came across my Facebook. Once I knew AT and DW were coming I signed up.  At least one friendly face.  Now how am I going to get there? I toyed with the idea of driving there myself and making it an adventure.  Instead I went to the carpool list and found 3 (Nicole, Herb, and Todd) folks who I would meet at Las Vegas and share a rental.

We were all arriving within three hours of each other; well that was it until Jet Blue forgot to schedule a pilot for Todd’s flight. Todd being the last one scheduled to arrive and the guy who rented the car.  So instead of meeting up at noon (I had arrived at 9:30) we finally met up at 3 PM.  Drinking beer in an airport is extremely expensive.  We got the car and off to St George we went.  Had some awesome sushi there and spent the night.

Stop crying it's still beautiful

Wednesday we headed to Kanab and to almost the Grand Escalante Staircase (GSE)  We headed down and the road and went on a hike.  Todd had these grand ideas of seeing Antelope Canyon and GSE which I was totally on board with.  I suggested we get in the car and go ALL the way to the GSE.  Herb did the math and determined it was best for us to continue our hike and get back for check in on time.  Now at first I pouted my god we are so close who cares if we get to camp at 7 instead of 4!!  I gave myself a brief lecture and then enjoyed the beauty that was around me…because it was beautiful.

Stop crying it's still beautiful

Race Day One – Bryce

I was very excited and took off running with AT. It was rolly polly through the woods with a few peak a boos of outstanding views.  As AT mentioned it was 8,000 feet so the breathing was a bit hard.  After the woods we came to the hoodoos.  It was a lot of fun running through these.  You were basically running on hard sand stone which while in the hoodoos was smooth.  The course was a mix of either hiking up or running down.  I came in and changed clothes because my bladder had leaked (the one in my pack) and my ass was starting to get cold since I was soak and wet.  Later Todd came in and was a little shocked to see me there in a change of clothes and all.  He said he took a while because he took lot’s of pictures.  AT and I got a chuckle from that…as if the rest of us didn’t.  We found out Nicole had never run a trail and Herb had done the Transrockies Run, so we were quite surprised when Nicole came across the finish long before Herb.  He too said he was taking a lot of picutres…Nicole said “That was hard”

I finished 2:50 5th in age group and 105 out of overall.

After the rest we headed to the actual Byrce Park and checked out a couple of key spots.

Later at camp the promised food trucks failed to show, except one who was out of food. The guys in charge quickly went about getting food and soon we had taco’s or pizza.  Being that Kanab is a small town I was impressed they we able to do so, so quickly.  Watched some movies, had some drinks,  and off to bed.  I called my husband and let him know I was the lush of the group, he responded with “Of course.”

The first peak a boo view.

Above running through the hoodooos...

Bryce the National Park

Race Day Two – Zion

Very fun runnable course. We started out running along a cliff with an awesome view of the valley below.  After yesterday it was a pleasure to just run free.  After several miles we turn in wood and still had fun running a rock obstacle course.  The turnaround was a point that stuck far out with a 320 view.  Everyone took their time there for pictures.  Once again we were running along an edge that drops off only this time on the opposite side of the incoming trail.  The wind was pretty strong on this side for about ½ a mile and at one point I felt like I wasn’t making much forward progress.  We then turned inward and enjoyed miles, and miles of crazy slick rock trails.

I finished 2:25 8th in age group and 116 out of 386 overall.

I got in the car with Tim and Jess and cruised through Zion. Very beautiful place but I think I started getting beauty overload.  Tim was giving a good impression of a BBC show using some salty terms.

Later back at (band) camp. The food trucks had arrived, one being a wooden pizza oven so I had a Margarita pizza which was very good.  Cory Reese was our speaker that night.  The National Park’s was a young local band with a fiddle.  Jess, AT, and I joined the kids and a few adults dancing the last song.

Nicole and I within first mile of Zion run

The folks a top the turn around...I have already been there and am heady through the windy stuff.

Groovy running grounds

Afterwards in Zion National Park

Race Day Three – Grand Canyon

I was a bit disappointed in this run. It was mostly in the woods (which I love) but I was expecting something more, ummm “Grand”.  The trails came to the edge of the canyon 4 times.  It was an awesome view but the lighting was poor (cloudy and still early) so the colors were a bit muted.  I was running this guy and following tightly to a young guy with a hat with fox ears and tan smooth legs.  He said if I tripped to feel free to grab him.  So as I was planning how I would trip I heard someone come behind me saying “Cougar sighting” really?? “Cougar Sighting”  Oh shit it’s Tim referring to me.  I started to feel crampy in the gut with about 4 to 5 miles to go.  I told my foxy I either needed to take a crap or fart.  He left me after that.    The finish is an upward climb and there was my foxy waiting at top cheering me on.  Run at the fence, so I did and I was finished.  He came by to talk to me but I still felt like shit.  Tim has a picture that says it all.  Tim’s wife finished and off they went.  My gut still felt to bad to get on the bus.  I was offered a shot of whiskey and my stomach immediately relax.

I finished 3:59 7th in age group and 120 out of 360 overall.

Went straight back to camp where my new routine was, crack a beer, sit outside my tent drinking and eating cheese and crackers surfing the web. Then shower and beer.  Then food, friends, beer, and whatever they were talking about on the podium. Movies.  Bed.  We went to bed very stoked that we all go to sleep in the next day…or so we thought.

Good morning Grand Canyon!

Hours later and different angle

Day Four—No Race

Herb who every night snorting, farting, and snoring got a phone call at 6AM from his sister. I shushed him and another girl yelled take your call someone where else but Herb being from a large city was perfectly comfortable talking loudly to his family who as he stated, “If you would of checked my FB you would know where I was. “ After an hour of talking he hung up and the “girl” unleashed upon him.  Herb was a nice guy but he lived in his own world most of the time obvious to others.

After that we packed up and headed home with a fifth girl in the car We hung around Vegas waiting for late flights.  I want to encourage them to stop at one more place before heading their.  We did do Hoover.

It was a good trip and I had a lot of fun. The runs were beautiful, the people were great.  There were from all over the country.  There was 108 more woman then men, so good place to go if single.

If you want more pictures I put together this album on facebook.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206980175134952&set=ms.c.eJxVkUFuQEEIQm~%3BUiIqj979YddPyV5O8AIMKc6tpwyMih~%3B6DP1JH3hPCQk6lamzJU8KeJRDyemj~_IXw0hJLkEhMyCRrnn7RvP0SpBrEa6dzYZGhyo0m4ac664E~%3BJNkRKcses5mlynku30Xl9Wl2147u3ENru1KBkOzp0rjqNf3J2Q546xSvSi0ryiH00m6zX6b7kp8ldS0b7dAS9ddK~_hqM542SY~%3Bj7bJyBk9mEklJwrTEke~_bqWpGqwOwzK7OPnanXdlaNUc1eOpzl~_v7f9AsdklEc~-.bps.a.10206980205335707&type=3&theater

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Hey Queenie, thanks for the RR and all of the fantastic photos.  I sounds and looks like you had a great time.  I may have to put this one on the list.

By the way, were the trails marked or did you just follow the people in front of you?

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

1- As you saw, I can talk to just about anyone, but Herb was too weird for me. I had a really hard time talking to him.

2- You were the lush of your car. I held my own and Jess' 7-up was always spiked.

3- I moved on so you could continue to stare at Foxy's rear,  and you scare him off with a fart/ shart warning. 

4- You never commented on my RR. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Heh, cougar sighting. Shart. Great RR. Thanks, love the pics.  I've never been to UT. Thinking I must do so one of these days.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I wanna go next year! The pics are beautiful.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

That was a great report, Sue. Your pictures were great, too. I'm glad you had fun.

LB2

runtraildc

Great RR!  And smart move on finding a young fox to run with.  Those old guys (40+) can snicker all they want, but do  they have the reflexes and strength to catch you if you fall? I think not.  That was just safe running.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

stunning views Sue!  sounds like a lot of fun- trail running, beautiful country, friendly folks and nightly brews 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing.

Best part....  I was running this guy and following tightly to a young guy with a hat with fox ears and tan smooth legs.  He said if I tripped to feel free to grab him.  So as I was planning how I would trip I heard someone come behind me saying “Cougar sighting” really?? “Cougar Sighting”  Oh shit it’s Tim referring to me.  I started to feel crampy in the gut with about 4 to 5 miles to go.  I told my foxy I either needed to take a crap or fart.  He left me after that.

So great!

I am a pretty calm person but if Herb was doing that every morning, I might have take his phone and throw it over into the GC.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Jamie:  Tim gave me a hug from you.   I hugged him back for you so pick it up some time.  It was nice at first until he wanted to give me a hug from LB, then warden, then runtrail dc, than wcrunner, then fsocks...at that point I started to get creeped out.

wcrunner:  You will enjoy it.  Great atmosphere.

GatsbyBird:  Everyone needs to go to So Utah at least once in their life.  I have been a few times before but it is still overwhelm beautiful.  I could drink wine and stare at the rocks all day long.

AT:  I may have temporarily scared foxy off but you see he was waiting at the end for me. 

Sandy:  The trails were marked.  Bryce and Grand Canyon runs were simple...Zion would have been a little harder to follow as there were many MT bike trails weaving in and out of our trail.  That and running a rock. Funny part was they put a turn arrow a little to soon and the group in front of me turned and ran into the bushes.  I heard they weren't the only ones.

I wanted to mention Nicole who had never run a trail finished Bryce and hated it.  When she got out of her tent for Zion I was impressed.  She like Zion better. Third day there she was for Grand Canyon..her Nike's that look like they have zero support and are made for cross fit wore through on the bottoms.  She ran about 15 miles with gravel coming through the bottoms of her shoes.  We thought for sure once she did trails she would be won over.  But she was not, she wanted to get back to run the mean streets of Philadelphia.  But I was very proud of her and more importantly she was extremely proud of herself.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Great report and pictures Sue.  There's just something about the southwest that I find very beautiful.

AT-runner

Tim

Jamie:  Tim gave me a hug from you.   I hugged him back for you so pick it up some time.  It was nice at first until he wanted to give me a hug from LB, then warden, then runtrail dc, than wcrunner, then fsocks...at that point I started to get creeped out.

AT:  I may have temporarily scared foxy off but you see he was waiting at the end for me. 

You didn't get creeped out until I tried to give you a hug from FTYC, Mandy, Moon ,etc.  

Yes, Foxy was there at the end.  Since I was all dressed, he asked me if I ran.  When I told him I had been in for a while, he said he would have been faster if that Cougar had kept chasing him (and he took a lot of pictures).  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Thanks for sharing Queen, the pictures are amazing! Congratulations on a great run!

NHLA

Great pics & RR.  Proves running is not boring.

XtremeTaper

Ha. If the worst thing that happened in Vegas is you bought expensive beer then I guess you were lucky. Your photos are so awesome they almost look phony. Seeing your and AT's photos, we are going to have to think about that area for our next out west running trip. Good running out there too and thanks for sharing.

In dog beers, I've only had one.