Trailer Trash

I need help with blisters (Read 32 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

It's just that I've never found a shoe that didn't blister me at some point.  I feel like I have the wimpiest feet lol

Blisters are always on the side of the big toes and the big toe joint on the side.

If it were me I'd be going to a LRS with a generous return policy and explain the situation.  Keep trying different shoes until you find one that doesn't give you blisters.   This may mean several trip and returns of the shoes.  There's got to be one out there that won't give you blisters.

Another thought, are you lacing too tightly?  Feet swell as you run.  Others will probably disagree but my shoes are loose enough that I can fairly easily take them off and put them on without untying.

You people have issues 

Hip Redux

I don't seem to callus very much.  It's always smooth baby skin once the blister heals.

Gate is an interesting angle,  I'm one of those that lands very heavy on the outside before collapsing to something close to over pronation.

Heading to a few LRSes this weekend.

Blisters on the sides of your big toes? Shouldn't it be calloused by now? I ask because I have forever gotten blisters there (going back to my HS b-ball days) and even wide toe boxes haven't worked for me.  But it is now calloused and I just deal with it.  I don't get new blisters anymore but it can be painful in longer runs.  I try and "take care" of the calloused areas by using some weird thing DW bought to shave off the dead skin on her feet.  It helps a bit.  But it doesn't help the cause of the problem.

For me, I actually think the issue is more my gait - the way I am landing and pushing off.  So essentially, for me, no shoe will take this away although some are better than others.

Sandy-2

Sorry to hear that the double-sock thing didn't help.

I don't seem to callus very much.  It's always smooth baby skin once the blister heals.

As far as toughening up your tender areas and developing calluses is concerned... I found that when I do get blisters, I drain them with a pin and leave the blistered skin there.  Don't peel off the blistered skin, it will harden and protect the tender skin underneath.  I think once the draining stops the whole process of leaving the upper skin of the blister in place helps toughen the area and develops calluses.  Perhaps not the nicest thing to see while going barefoot at the beach, but I guess that's the price of this long-run stuff we do.

FSocks, I also keep my shoes fairly lose and can take them off fairly easily without untying them.  One does have to be careful in sticky mud...   LOL.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Hip Redux

Two LRSs and an REI trip later.... zippo.  None of them carried anything that I could fit in to, and the shoes they suggested for me (Like the Pearl Izumi N2) don't even come in my size.   Only option is to try men's sizes but everyone agrees that they'll always be too wide for me.

The bottom line is that trail shoes are too niche for most manufacturers to make oddball sizes like an 11.5.  And most LRSs wouldn't bother even stocking them if they did.  My only option is to see what's available online with a good return policy, I guess.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The bottom line is that trail shoes are too niche for most manufacturers to make oddball sizes like an 11.5.  And most LRSs wouldn't bother even stocking them if they did.  My only option is to see what's available online with a good return policy, I guess.

Running Warehouse, Running Warehouse, Running Warehouse.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Running Warehouse, Running Warehouse, Running Warehouse.

First place I tried.  They have no 11.5 trail shoes for women.  Well, ok, except some seriously fugly salomon s-works at $150.

In fact, after searching around, there very, very few 11.5 sized trail shoes available.  So I decided to try my current Speedworks in the women's 12 (currently in the men's 10) and an Inov-8 shoe that's supposed to be a narrow fit in a men's 10.  I have low expectations though.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Man, it sounds like you have even worse feet than I do!

This is may be crazy, but maybe you should try some Altras? I know they're mega wide, but the zero drop might have an effect? Since everything else isn't working...

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Man, it sounds like you have even worse feet than I do!

This is may be crazy, but maybe you should try some Altras? I know they're mega wide, but the zero drop might have an effect? Since everything else isn't working...

They don't make a 11.5.   I'd have to try the 12s.   Which do you recommend?  I see a Lone Peak and Olympus?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

They don't make a 11.5.   I'd have to try the 12s.   Which do you recommend?  I see a Lone Peak and Olympus?

Someone else here wore a woman's 11.5 and had trouble finding shoes too. Why would they make an 11 and a 12, but no 11.5?! That's so weird.

Anyway, I have both of those shoes. The Lone Peaks are going to put you closer to the ground, but stress your calves and AT more. The Olympus have more cushion, which I like, but I feel slightly more prone to ankle rolls and you don't feel the trail as well. Depends on what sounds better to you...

Running is dumb.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

What kind of trails you run?  If it isn't very technical I'd stick with just road shoes on the trails.  Better fit trumps all in my opinion.

You people have issues 

NorthernHarrier

I'm going to be repeating some of these suggestions as I have read thru this several times and givin' it some thought as far as how I would deal with it if it were me. So credits in advance to Sandy, FSocks, Jamie, Daydreamer, and runtrail. You guys are spot on in suggestions.

First off I want a shoe that holds my upper foot in place while allowing plenty of wiggle room for my toes and allowing plenty of ankle flex. That can be accomplished by either finding a perfect fit or as was suggested doing some research on lacing techniques. Those speedlaces and Boa type lacing systems are horrible for most of us at getting a comfortable fit.  Also as was suggested if your best fit is with road shoes stay with them. Sandy runs some gnarly trails with Asics Cumulus. I think your fit is the number one issue and you probably need more room in the toe area while locking the foot in place.

I would discard the insoles that come with the shoes and get good after market insoles like Orthaheel or Superfeet. Orthaheel active maximum support are great and at an affordable price. In addition to a great feel and support they will help to hold your foot in place as it molds to your foot. I have aftermarket insoles in all my running, hiking, hunting, and even my high rubber canoe boots. Expensive but worth it.

Since my blisters are in the same place I would see if those little callus cushions would work there. They are quarter sized little donut sticky cushions that take the pressure off a specific area. Moleskin may be another option but I would also try getting a tub of vaseline and liberally applying to the area before each run. Works much better than glide.

I also would run wearing the thin double walled Wight socks. I believe they are the best at blister prevention and when used with the other suggestions would offer the best hope. I know you tried them but try again following some of the other suggestions.

It was mentioned that feet swell as you are running so the look for a perfect fit has to account for that. You described your fit as "snug".  All my shoes are slightly oversized and would never be described as snug. I never blister.  Also Sandy is correct with how to deal with blisters once you get them.

Finally, I would look at my stride and maybe shorten it. Running more over my feet, thereby getting better balance and limiting how hard I'm pushing forward. Probably be a little slower but...

Blistering that early in your runs is certainly not right but hopefully if you do the above you can get thru it, somehow. If you try all the above and still are getting blisters... I guess I have no other suggestions.  Good luck.

Hip Redux

Thank you, NorthernHarrier!  Much appreciated.

I blister in my road shoes too, it just takes a few extra miles on the roads.  Same spots.  And that would be either my Hokas or the Skechers.  Maybe it is my stride....

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Have you always blistered, or is this something new post surgery?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Have you always blistered, or is this something new post surgery?

Post surgery!!

I mean I blistered every once and a while on a longish run, but oy, this is crazy.