Trailer Trash

Wet Wednesdaily (Read 31 times)

Occasional Runner

A nasty storm rolled through Utah yesterday and it's still raining this morning, We almost weren't able to land when we got to SLC last night. I wish the weather would finally stabilize.

I'm resting today. My lower legs aren't recovering from Boston and it's an unfamiliar soreness that has me a bit confused. I'm scheduled for a 100 miler on Friday, so I'm cramming my recovery into a small window. If I don't feel better by tomorrow morning, I'll be a DNS this weekend.

Random Fact of The Day: A one minute kiss burns about 26 calories.

QOTD: Would you be less inclined to run an inaugural race?

I have mixed feelings on this. If the RD has experience and a decent reputation, I would do it. Otherwise, I wait to hear how the event goes in that first year before running it myself.

Birdwell

Good morning folks!

Yesterday turned into an unscheduled rest day.

My wife decided to have a baby and I thought I probably ought to be there for it. Everyone is doing fine.

(It's a boy. Name still TBD)

Congrats on the Boston finish lace!

QOTD:  +1 to what lace said.

it also depends on the distance, anything under a half marathon, I'd be willing to chance it on a first year event, because I could stand horrible logistics much easier than a longer distance race.

The pooch and I had another really pleasant 5 mile trail run. It was a cool clear morning after thunderstorms rolled through last night.

QOTD: No.  I kind of like to be in on them.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Morning. Rested yesterday, going out for about  6 later tonight.

QOTD: Yes, I am a bit more hestitant, but I've done it. The Love Run was an inaugural race this year, but the group that put it on had a good reputation for local races. Turned out they did a very good job.

Good morning folks!

Yesterday turned into an unscheduled rest day.

My wife decided to have a baby and I thought I probably ought to be there for it. Everyone is doing fine.

(It's a boy. Name still TBD)

Congrats on the Boston finish lace!

QOTD:  +1 to what lace said.

it also depends on the distance, anything under a half marathon, I'd be willing to chance it on a first year event, because I could stand horrible logistics much easier than a longer distance race.

Congrats!!

Gator eye

My legs felt trashed after yesterday's tempo run so I did a slow easy 6 this morning, it seemed to help.

QOTD:Have no problems running a inaugural race if I like the trails and it fits.  My first 50 was a inaugural race put on by people who lived in the area and knew the trails well. I thought they did a great job, well marked course, aid station spread out perfectly. My only two complaints would be after the 10k, 13.1 and 26.2 people past through and destroyed the last two aid station there was nothing left for the 50 mile racers, a drink and a few pretzels would of really helped with those last 8 miles. Second complaint was putting the girl scouts at the aid station with the drop bags with no place to change or re-apply lube to those private area's with out a bunch of teenage girls standing around watching.

Congrats Birdwell !!

LB2

Congratulations, Bird.

I had a shorter run scheduled for yesterday, or maybe it was a rest day. Either way, I ran 9.3, which is the longest run in 6 weeks. It was hot, and I had no fluids, but It felt good. I want to get out for at least 5 after work, but I need to cut the yard. I may do a night run. Based on how I am feeling right now, I think my mileage reduction has been more beneficial than those breaks the last couple of years. But I didn't reduce things as much this year as I have over the past three years.

QOTD: I only race a couple of times a year, but if something was compelling and didn't take up a Saturday during turkey season, I would definitely run a first time race.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Today is my one day each week on the track running with my club.

QOTD: I've run a lot of inaugural races, most in the 5K - 10K range so the only thing that would be really  annoying would be a mismeasured course. I've run into too many of those. I've run several longer inaugural races, including two marathons and an ultra, all put on by experienced RDs. No problems with any of those and two of them I'd rank as well above average.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Congrats Birdwell!

Rocky and I ran 9 miles on the trails this morning, I am getting used to the mud and muck.... I think I am actually beginning to enjoy it lol. Mr. Friendly here decided he was going to try and introduce himself to an Opossum..... who wasn't interested and just hugged the ground from what I could see. I hollered at Rocky all while trying to cross a log over a flooded part of the trail, he came back to me and I was just thankful that it wasn't a Raccoon... which reminds me - Rocky needs to go in for his shots very soon.

QOTD: Depends on the distance and if I've ran the area before, I've ran a few inaugural races and have never had any issues with them, but the RD is usually the same one that has put together all the other races or has input in them.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

jonferg67

Endless trails

Congratulations, Mr and Mrs Birdwell! I've always liked the name Aaron.

Lace-looking forward to your Boston report; how does Heartbreak Hill compare to Hope Pass?

I did 5 road miles this morning, felt real sluggish not sure whats going on but I'm just

happy not to be injured.

QOTD: I signed up for the inaugural Cape Cod Trail Race, but dns due to injury. I signed

up bc we don't have too many trail races in this area and I wanted to support it. I did meet

the RD, so I made a connection to help out next year if we still live in the area. The race

went very well considering the things that can go wrong.

Occasional Runner

Lace-looking forward to your Boston report; how does Heartbreak Hill compare to Hope Pass?

Nobody tried to spear me with a trekking pole on Heartbreak Hill, so that was nice.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congrats Birdwell!  Hope Mom recovers quickly.

Will hit the treadmill for a walk this evening; got 1.5 miles in yesterday (along w/ some biking)- that's my longest since my injury Smile

qotd: I have no problem giving a new event a go (the Rut Run was a new event last fall), it has to be in nice country is my only requisite

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Planning on heading out for about 10 miles on the mountain in a little bit.

QOTD: If it's a shorter race, 25k or less, I'd have no problem doing one. If it's longer I may be a little more hesitant to do an inaugural race.

Low_O2

Hello all!

Got in an easy 3.7 around the hood with the dog last night. Hoping to get 12 in tonight, but not sure if it will happen.

Birdwell - Congrats! I think you made a smart choice...

QOTD: If it was a race really I wanted to run I would go ahead and do it.

Sandy-2

CONGRATS to the BIRDWELL family !!!!!!!!!!!!

My DW said I was grouchy when I got home from my business dinner yesterday, I told her it was because I messed up, slept in and then had to take an URD.  It was bugging me.  She told me I HAD to run today.  (She knows the drill as she has been dealing with knee pain and can't go to the gym as much as she used to.)

Anyway, 10 miles early this morning...  I'm in a much better mood today !!!!!!

qotd: I agree with LowO2.  I wanted to do an inaugural run called the ILOViT 100k this past February but I couldn't due to an injury.  They might stretch it out to become the inaugural 100 miler next year, so.......

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL