Trailer Trash

Meh, it's Monday (Read 30 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers!  I know it's a rest day for many.  I've been on a 'rest week'.  Since I'm not eating (as much) and the pain meds are taking effect, my tooth feels much better that I"m considering a short run this afternoon.  And my dentist promised that the root canal will be so easy and painless, I should be able to go out an run 10 miles afterwards.  That's tomorrow.

Sandy-- good to hear DW is settling in nicely to Korea and enjoying getting reacquainted to the city.

Has anyone heard from the Ice Age runners?

qotd: How long have you been running?  Do you remember starting- how it was?  I remember going out for one of my first runs in preparation for HS track as a freshman.  Wearing jeans and tennis shoes.  The loop I made was about 1.5 miles around my neighborhood.  The jeans were not comfortable.  And I don't think I got real running shoes until college (Nike Pegasus, of course).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Has anyone heard from the Ice Age runners?

Just finished writing and posting my RR in Beginners and Beyond user group.

Synopsis:

Anything under 8:30 for 50K would be more than acceptable. All I wanted was redemption for last year's DNF. Despite feeling my training was sorely lacking for this, I was still going strong through the first part of the second Nordic Trail loop. Finished in 7:48:44 with a big smile.

QOTD: 4 years in HS, 4 year break, then for the last 47 years, 51 years total. Don't remember much about starting in HS. When I started again I made huge jumps quickly destroying my HS PRs for 880 and mile in the first 2 months. Then I waited 45 years before running my first ultra.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well I got up today and did some core and arm exercises.  That is my goal to work the core and arms.  If you didn't read my post yesterday, basically I didn't run while on vacation so now I have a lot to do to get ready for my race in July.  I plan on running today...maybe lunchtime 5 but the Amgen Bike Race is starting in our town today and I want to watch the beginning so may do that at lunch and run after work or ??? I am definitely going to get a least 3 even if it's the treadmill.

QOTD:  I've always ran, first to prepare for ski season.  Then track and cross country although I sucked.  Then college to fight the freshmen 15, then later to fight weight gain...then started doing races to motivate me to run to lose weight..than marathon...now trails...Trails just for trails sake and being in the woods.    When I was younger I would do good for 3 months...then stop for 3 months then start etc etc  I have been consistent the last 10 years (well not as consistent as some of you guys).

runtraildc:  I had my root canal couple weeks ago and didn't solve the growing lump in my mouth (the reason I went since not that painful).  The root canal was painless and easy.  You should be able to run after.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Walking for a bit today at lunch.

dc - good luck with the dentist.

George - Congratulations on your redemption run at IAT.

Queen - welcome back. Hope you had a nice trip.

QOTD:  Grew up a swimmer and after shoulder surgery forced me from competition I got into bicycle racing and then triathlons while in college.  Running started in HS to cross train for swimming so 35+ years ago.  The triathlons lead to adventure racing and that's where I got hooked on trail running.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi guys!  I've been MIA.  Not running much these days.  Still trying to heal my foot.  It's all downhill in your 30s.    (Or maybe I'm just waiting for Sue to catch up...hehe.)  121 miles on the bike last week, so at least I'm doing something.  More big bike plans in the works too.  Feel free to kick me outta here whenever.

I got to spend a really nice 9 miles pacing wcrunner2 at Ice Age over the weekend and also chat with NorthernHarrier (who wisely decided to DNF at mile 22 with a calf issue.)  George was running well and looking strong the majority of the race.  Congrats on your finish this year, George!  Come back anytime!

QOTD: I ran track in middle school and played soccer in high school, which involved going for runs during practice.  I would sporadically run a few miles here and there in college, but I consider the start of my "real" running life in early 2008.  I haven't stopped since.  So it's been about 7 years for me so far.

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out on a bike ride with DW, probably about 15 miles. After that I may get out on my own for another 20-25 miles. No running. For some reason my left foot is sore. I think it comes from getting used to my bike shoes again.

Mandy - Biking is fine. We'll only kick you out if you become one of those full time horsey people .   121 miles is a pretty decent week on the bike.

QOTD: About 25 years ago I was fat and out of shape, mostly from being a truck driver. I would occasionally try to do some short 2 mile runs on weekends.  After I got off the road and finished school I got into biking. While I would ride through the winter there were some times it was nicer to run so every winter I would ramp up my running, then quit for the summer.  In '09 I started thinking about doing some Tri's so I started some running in the summer.  Briefly set my sights on a road 1/2 as a goal.  Started seriously  working towards that the summer of '11 with a goal of running one in late spring of '12. In the summer of '11 I read a report in Outside Magazine about Hyner. Decided I was going to try that and started trail running. It's been uphill and downhill ever since . Never did do a road race and may never do one unless It's part of a Tri.

XtremeTaper

Nothing yet today but the Lady and I will run some trails tonight for sure. Probably at Green Lane on the blue trail. Just a short run of 7 miles.

Good running over the weekend. Lucked out on Saturday and had excellent conditions for my long run (~4.5 hours) at French Creek and the Hay Creek watershed. I was expecting about 80 degrees and instead had clouds and mid 60's to start, with some refreshing mist and rain and maybe at most 70 degrees when I was done. It was a pretty terrific day to be wandering the woods. Oh, ran into a mountain bike race at French Creek and a trout rodeo at the gun and rod club on the way to the Hay Creek trails. The trout rodeo just looked like a bunch of adults and kids fishing in a pond to me but the kids looked at me running by like I was the odd one.

QOTD: I ran some in junior high for basketball but no real distance to speak of. Sort of became a runner in 96' or 97' deciding one day to get my cardio workout at the gym on a treadmill. Certainly I could run, right? Started running outdoors a year or so later and was a fitness runner for several years then decided to run a marathon in 2003. My second marathon that same year I BQ'd and spent 4 or 5 years chasing marathon PR's in the spring and fall while mixing in trail runs and races especially between training cycles. 2007 I caught the ultra bug but had been thinking about it or a few years.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Rode the bike to work today, still sore from Saturday's race. Will lift this evening.

Qotd: I'm a Johnny come lately, started running about three years ago. We started a voluntary fitness testing at work and I didn't want to look like an a$$, so I started running and as it turns out I liked it. I have been a life long hiker and backpacker, so trail running was a natural crossover

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dpc3

Rode 12 into work this morning and had my running stuff laid out but go distracted and never got out the door before the commute. Plan on a quick weight session at work.

QOTD: I've been running my whole life, lets not get to technical. Ever since I can remember I've been running to train for soccer and I just transitioned into a runner when I stopped playing soccer competitively.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Not sure if I'll be able to fit in a run today, although it would be great to do a last heat run before MMT.

But I'm not feeling all well, I am afraid I might have caught the stomach bug that ran through work and my family lately. Hoping to kick it before it gets serious.

QOTD: I started when I was 10 years old, together with my dad who had to get fit for his first (second?) America exploration (he's an entomologist and specialized on American species). My first runs were in the fall, wearing cotton sweatpants, a cotton T-shirt, a cotton hoody, and "sneakers". Later in spring, I switched into some old plain shorts. We started out on trails because my dad never liked road running, nor was this popular in Austria at the time. The running craze started only a few years later. And as we both liked the trails, we stayed on them, and I never switched to road running. I ran/run on roads occasionally, back country roads and gravel roads.

And I confess, I have never run a marathon in my life.

Run for fun.

Marley and I took a rest day today.  I spent the day getting ready to head back up to Maryland for what I hope will be the last trip hauling stuff to the new home here in Florida.

QOTD: I started running in 2008 at the age of 57.  I remember it pretty well because it took me a while to ease into it.  I was a bicyclist for my whole life before that and had recently done a coast to coast bike trip.  I was intrigued about running after meeting Bjorn Suneson who, at age 59 (if I remember correctly), was running across the US while we were riding across.  We met him out in the middle of nowhere in the desert and later he rolled into town having done 40 miles that day.  A group of cyclists and Bjorn all stayed in a church that put up transcontinental cyclists, so we got to hang out with him a bit.

Shortly after returning home I was in a bike-car accident that left me with a wrist injury and a dizziness problem that made riding uncomfortable for six months or so.  So I tried running.

I had always had ankle problems when I tried to run previous to this, but this time I got decent shoes and eased into running gradually.  That was the key I guess.  Pretty soon I was doing 5Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons. After that, it didn't take long before I figured out that trail running was way more fun.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

SRD for me on Tuesday as well.  Lots of rain here so I slept in a bit.

runtraildc: Thanks.

wcrunner2: Nice job !!!

QoN: Didn’t you get enough arm exercises in doing those 12 oz curls on vacation?

FTYC: It’s better to taper and be well at this point.  The hay is in the barn.

qotd: I ran winter and spring track and cross country (with a few seasons of soccer thrown in there) in Jr and Sr High a million years ago.  Then in college I only ran to cure hangovers.  Did a few Hash House Harrier runs (some trails), took a decade or two off and then started running again to get in shape and lose a few pounds.  Ran my first marathon (NYC) in 1997, and did a bunch of road and some trail running after that.  Did my first ultra in 2000.

At last count I have done 28 marathons and 20 ultras.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL